PDA

View Full Version : I feel like a defrag...

SoniKalien
22-11-2010, 08:31 PM
... roundup :p according to search it's been a while.. so.. post about a good defragger, or a bad one, if you've found one you'd like to make an uneducated rant about... :punk

GameJunkie
22-11-2010, 08:32 PM
defraggler

use it on the desktop and the laptop, does the job

Snorkbox
22-11-2010, 08:35 PM
It's the one I use too.

CYaBro
22-11-2010, 08:50 PM
MyDefrag.

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Defraggler, since its got a 64 bit version now. Or auslogics defraq. Since it can defrag more than 1 hdd at a time

autechre
23-11-2010, 08:48 AM
I like PerfectDisk (http://www.raxco.com/). Fairly quick & seems to do the job.

That said, I rarely defrag my drives.

SolMiester
23-11-2010, 09:20 AM
smartdefrag
http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html?Str=download

gary67
23-11-2010, 09:24 AM
smart defrag or defraggler since both can be scheduled to run when the computer is idle

kahawai chaser
23-11-2010, 10:00 AM
smart defrag or defraggler since both can be scheduled to run when the computer is idle

Same here. Though smart defrag has no updates for a while.

Cato
23-11-2010, 10:00 AM
O&O is the best.

23-11-2010, 11:52 AM
NTFS + Modern HD's with dynamic pagefile

The defrag I use is none.
Probably makes just as much difference in the real world (as confirmed by some real world testing by some tech sites)

Also keep in mind, if your hard drive has some undetected bad sectors, a defrag can kill win (have seen this happen)

dugimodo
23-11-2010, 01:47 PM
I never defrag and have never seen any up to date evidence to suggest I should.
Every year or so I end up wiping my system drive and re-installing windows, close enough for me.

Agent_24
23-11-2010, 04:34 PM
I use the one that comes with Windows.

utopian201
25-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Do all these defrags use window's prefetch data? Because the default windows one will defrag as normal, but will also arrange data so your commonly used programs and startup files are place sequentially so bootup times and program startups are faster.

CYaBro
25-11-2010, 01:20 PM
We use mydefrag on pretty much every PC that comes in the workshop.
It's quite surprising how much it does speed up some machines.

Chilling_Silence
25-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Do all these defrags use window's prefetch data? Because the default windows one will defrag as normal, but will also arrange data so your commonly used programs and startup files are place sequentially so bootup times and program startups are faster.

Good question. I wonder how different things would be if you defragged with Defraggler then used the windows one?

Gobe1
25-11-2010, 02:21 PM
I defragged a vista pc yesterday, im so glad Win7 gives you a little more feedback now
The vista pc just says defragging (this could take several minutes to hours)!! no way of telling how long it is going to take
Win 7 machine (you hard drive is 6% fragmented) way better

utopian201
25-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Good question. I wonder how different things would be if you defragged with Defraggler then used the windows one?

Well I know back in the days of win 98, the norton defragger would arrange things differently to the default windows one.

If these third party defraggers don't take into account prefetch data, then you're simply wearing out your drive, since the drive will have to go all over the place to load windows files and frequently used programs instead of loading it all through one sequential read.

That is, they will have the effect of -fragmenting- your drive, even if they complete the defrag operation faster than the windows one.

Chilling_Silence
25-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Potentially, but depending how often you defrag, wear isn't an issue, even on the likes of Compact Flash devices. What matters most is that the particular file is all in one location on the HDD, and it's not loading a single 1MB file from like 5 different places.

That and there's a *ton* of data in prefetch. No point in having certain parts of MSOffice right in sequence with everything else, so I'm not sure how much merit there is to that argument.

utopian201
25-11-2010, 03:40 PM
How prefetch works is it looks at the files loaded in the first 2mins of the computer loading up (or something like that) and puts those files into prefetch data. So when you defrag, it puts those files at the start so boot ups are faster.

What i meant with the loading things from all over the place is the 3rd party defragger may put the antivirus at one place, windows files in another and firewall in yet another, whereas if they were all in one place, the hdd head wouldn't need to move.

Chilling_Silence
25-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Potentially, but if you look in your prefetch folder, what do you see?

I see over 100 objects, many of them things that I rarely use at all. Why put them at the start of the HDD?

On top of that, defrag needs a registry setting changed before it does stuff to the boot up AFAIK.

Lastly, I seem to remember something about BootVis being an old (and no longer supported) Microsoft tool which did the best job of bootup defragmentation...

Chilling_Silence
25-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Here's my Prefetch folder contents. Half of these I rarely use ever, let alone having them near the start of the HDD:
http://pastie.org/private/jpkvdgagmmccmzoneasca