PDA

View Full Version : NAS drive eating away all the wireless

Avaya
22-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Hey all -

I'm living in a flat with 5 other people, all of us have iphones / laptops / a ipad or desktops. We have got a Vodafone "hub" router than can use the new N protocol but none of our gear can take advantage of this apart from the iPad.

I also have a 1TB NAS drive (one of the Western Digital WorldBook) plugged into the router so everyone can access movies and music off the shared drive.

The problem is that if someone is watching a movie from the drive, the rest of us really suffer with internet speed (well wireless speed) and can not even watch a video on youtube without if buffering every 3 seconds.

Can anyone think of a good solution to this problem? I know a good idea would be to get the person who wants to watch a movie to copy it to their computer which would take 3 or 4 minutes were no one could use the wireless but I'm hoping there is another work around so we can all use the stuff we have got hooked up.

Thanks in advance

James

SolMiester
22-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Hey all -

I'm living in a flat with 5 other people, all of us have iphones / laptops / a ipad or desktops. We have got a Vodafone "hub" router than can use the new N protocol but none of our gear can take advantage of this apart from the iPad.

I also have a 1TB NAS drive (one of the Western Digital WorldBook) plugged into the router so everyone can access movies and music off the shared drive.

The problem is that if someone is watching a movie from the drive, the rest of us really suffer with internet speed (well wireless speed) and can not even watch a video on youtube without if buffering every 3 seconds.

Can anyone think of a good solution to this problem? I know a good idea would be to get the person who wants to watch a movie to copy it to their computer which would take 3 or 4 minutes were no one could use the wireless but I'm hoping there is another work around so we can all use the stuff we have got hooked up.

Thanks in advance

James

Well, Wireless G only has 54Mb peak throughput, and that is shared between every device attached, so yeah, if someone is steaming a movie, the others may want to use a wired connection or vice versa.

Deimos
22-11-2010, 04:36 PM
It's not the speed that is the limitation, it's the technology, unfortunately with wireless you have one giant collision zone meaning not all the devices can talk at once, they have to take turns, the only way to remedy this is to increase the number of wireless access points.