PDA

View Full Version : Deal Extreme - a few questions

Morgenmuffel
22-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Ok i saw them mentioned on here, but i can't find the post

anyway

I can't see anywhere that tells me what currency prices are quoted in.
How long does it take for stuff to arrive, although coming into Xmas, i guess it'll be ages
What is the real shipping cost/minimum order, as everywhere says free shipping but i can't see anywhere that says what the minimum order is?

Snorkbox
22-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Perhaps look at their FAQ or send them an Email:-

http://help.dealextreme.com/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions.ashx

psycik
22-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Prices are USD.

Things can take up to 2 weeks or so, as they aren't always in stock.

I haven't found a minimum order yet, and have ordered just one thing on occasion. I tend to bundle a few things together though.

ubergeek85
22-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Free shipping means just that - my first order was just $2, trying them out. Don't know how they manage it, but yes, everything that has the wee 'free shipping' logo comes with free shipping worldwide (I've yet to see anything without the wee logo).

All prices are USD, all deductions from your credit card will be in NZD. Paypal looks after the convesrion, they have a (very small) currency-conversion fee (IIRC my last order was around $20, the fee was 50c, quite reasonable IMO).

Orders will take a wee while to get from supplier to your door, possibly up to two-three weeks. So long as nothing you order is out of stock, though, it's not too bad. Christmas season is a little longer sometimes. They have a reasonable order tracking system too; i.e. 'pending', 'received - in stock', 'packaging', 'sent', etc etc. Orders over a certian dollar value (not sure how much, maybe $15) also come with a tracking number. Track it in Singapore using the provided links, and NZ post also track it when it comes into the country.

Replacements aren't that bad, a little slow IME, but got there after a wee bit of back-and-forth. No issues with them trying to give me a runaround or anything untoward.

Great site, IMO. What were you looking at ordering?

bob_doe_nz
22-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Delivery time depends on postage.

I had some tiny LED torches get sent in 2 weeks.

I had some batteries which had to be Airmailed get delivered in 8 days.

somebody
22-11-2010, 07:06 PM
As per above. Shipping times are very very variable - I've had things show up in as little as a week, and other things have taken as much as 8 weeks to arrive. It's all shipped from Hong Kong, and yes, shipping is free (even if you order a $2 item). I would highly recommend you pay the extra $2 or whatever it is to upgrade to tracked air mail (the will normally use regular air mail for orders under $20, which are not trackable).

Morgenmuffel
30-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Great site, IMO. What were you looking at ordering?

Well apparently my phone takes a t-flash card so i need one of them
our old Sony (DSC-p8) takes a sony memory stick, a long thing
and i want a couple of thumb drives (pen drives, usb sticks, whatever the heck they are called this week)
Also an FM transmitter for my car that takes thumb drives
and a universal remote that works on pre-schoolers

gary67
30-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Used on a weekly basis here stuff arrives in 2 weeks as other have said and prices are def US$

somebody
30-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Just be aware that Hong Kong post currently have a huge backlog. I placed an order with DealExtreme early this month, it was shipped on the 15th, but it still hasn't left Hong Kong.

ubergeek85
30-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Well apparently my phone takes a t-flash card so i need one of them
T-flash is just another name for MicroSD.

The microSD format was created by SanDisk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SanDisk). It was originally called T-Flash, and then TransFlash, before being renamed microSD when adopted by the SD Card Association (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_Card_Association) (SDA)

And yes, if you order now, you'll be waiting a while, HK post has one hell of a backlog. I got a tracking number for my package 4 days ago, it's still sitting in a post office somewhere. DX have temporarily switched to China post to try and get around this, see http://www.dealextreme.com/forums/Forums.dx/Forum.-100~threadid.743130

porkster
30-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Try searching on Google for "sites like dealextreme"
Stunning....

ubergeek85
01-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Update to postal delays by HK post office - looks like we here in NZ might be in with a show - last date for xmas airmail is December 12th.

http://www.hongkongpost.com/eng/publications/news/2010/20101109a/appendix1/index.htm

Morgenmuffel
02-12-2010, 09:52 AM
You know for such a variety of goods, its amazing that they are really focused on the US market, I was looking at the LED Lightbulbs, which are fairly cheap, but i couldn't find a single bayonet connector one, they are all edison screw

also have to work the lumens level out

And on another note, I have a pile of 3.5" drives sitting here, so i thought i'd look at cases for them,
8-900 cases for 2.5" drives starting around $8,
4 or 5 cases for 3.5" drives starting around $30

Almost cheaper to buy a portable harddrive