PDA

View Full Version : Good quality DSL router?

Deimos
22-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Someone asked recently but sifting through the search results is a pain.

We are looking at going to 2talk for our voice requirements but first I would like to replace my flakey SMC router with something solid and reliable.

I have a 3com at home but for obvious reasons they are extremely difficult to find now, I've heard that netgear is good but what model should I get?

I have a couple of Cisco routers configured for a site to site VPN tunnell and it must be able to work with that (the Orcon Home hub doesn't) it will need to be able to do 1-to-1 nat or something similar as I get my Ciscos to do everything.

Wireless is also not required as we have a seperate AP, not a big deal though.

TIA

Chilling_Silence
22-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Why not do something like the AM300 in half-bridge to a WRT54GL running Tomato / Gargoyle. You seem like the tinkering type who'd really appreciate it! :D

Deimos
22-11-2010, 10:36 AM
It's a little bit too much, I'm just looking for something reliable, and I'm sure the extra features in Tomato / Gargoyle are already available on my Cisco router (it is a full spec router, i.e. dual GB network ports and capable of full speed VPN tunnels, worth about $5k) is the AM300 a decent enough device? I'm pretty wary of lynksys gear (oh the irony) since owning a really shitty 300N wireless AP by lynksys.

Deimos
22-11-2010, 10:37 AM
I think I may have a WRT54G floating around in my attic somewhere...

Chilling_Silence
22-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Yeah most of the N-Wireless linksys gear blows...

I've got an AM300 and had an uptime of close to 200 days before the wifey restarted it one day when her laptop was playing up (Not the internet connection, though full marks to her for trying to restart everything first).

They also sync at relatively decent speeds by comparison to most modems, though certainly not the extreme fastest, they're good and reliable in my experience :)

You can also run them in half-bridge to pretty much any other AP with a WAN port, and then just setup your current Cisco AP's WAN port to DHCP and it'll get the public internet IP Address. Either way, I'm sure you'll have some fun with it, and it avoids the likes of double-NAT etc.

Deimos
22-11-2010, 03:38 PM
One problem though, I can't find anyone who has any in stock.

Are there any other decent DSL modems/routers that can half bridge?

Chilling_Silence
22-11-2010, 04:08 PM
DSE does. PBTech should do also.

There's the Draytek DV120 which does PPPoA -> PPPoE passthrough, but I've had less luck with that.

utopian201
22-11-2010, 04:10 PM
the RTA1320 can do half bridge, but it has issues with overheating and cheap capacitors. I put a heatsink on the CPU and changed the capacitors and haven't had any issues since.

I got mine new off trademe for $10.

Agent_24
22-11-2010, 05:11 PM
the RTA1320 can do half bridge, but it has issues with overheating and cheap capacitors. I put a heatsink on the CPU and changed the capacitors and haven't had any issues since.

I got mine new off trademe for $10.

How easy is the capacitor replacement? (From the point of view of big ground planes etc to soak up the heat etc)

Bobh
22-11-2010, 05:36 PM
I had an RTA 1320 which I used for quite a while. It came to a sad end through over heating.

Chilling_Silence
23-11-2010, 08:07 AM
Yeah they were pretty decent little things the RTA1320, but my old one overheated so much and so often that the plastic went a brown-ish color ... :p

Agent_24
23-11-2010, 11:13 AM
I just pulled mine open and found that two of the capacitors (the 220uF 10v Ost) are starting to bulge slightly.

I guess it's time to attempt a replacement! - looks like it might be pretty easy too, hopefully...

Chilling_Silence
23-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Pix?

Agent_24
23-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Coming right up....

Kinda hard to tell, they are not bulging that much but if you've seen them before you'll know they're bad.

The two little ones at the front

I've uploaded to ImageF1 as well for higher resolution.

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/IMG_4113.JPG
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/IMG_4114.JPG

Now just having fun finding a good replacement, the values are not in the datasheets... must be a custom job - typical!

Chilling_Silence
23-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Ah well, I'd be keen to hear / see how you get on :)

Agent_24
23-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Probably won't be for a week or so. The ones I'm looking at currently are all UK stock only.

utopian201
25-11-2010, 09:25 AM
I had put a heatsink on the cpu, replaced all 4 capacitors and put in another in the empty space on the PCB. I just checked, one of them has started bulging again.
Here is a pic before the bulging.

The thing is, I talked to an electrical engineer at my work, and said it was ok to replace the 25v 1000uf with 25v 470uf; he was pretty sure (given both 470uf and 1000uf were the same size), that the ones denoted 1000uf were NOT 1000uf.

Attached file: IMG_4963.jpg (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/IMG_4963.jpg) (986 KB)

rumpty
25-11-2010, 10:19 AM
I have some capacitors here - can probably supply what you want.

Agent_24
25-11-2010, 10:46 AM
I just checked, one of them has started bulging again.

Which one is bulging again? What brand\series is it?

utopian201
25-11-2010, 11:05 AM
in the group of 5 on the left, it is the small black on the bottom right. Not in the picture since the picture was taken after the modding.

Agent_24
25-11-2010, 11:08 AM
But what brand and series (model) did you use for the replacement?
(Should be written on them)

utopian201
25-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Not sure, I'll check when I get home.

utopian201
25-11-2010, 09:44 PM
But what brand and series (model) did you use for the replacement?
(Should be written on them)

There are no markings on my replacement capacitor, only temp, capacitance and voltage.

Agent_24
25-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Where did you buy them from?

Agent_24
07-12-2010, 11:56 AM
It's been a while but I haven't forgotten about this (mainly since I haven't fixed my router yet)

I've got the new capacitors but I needed a new tip for my desoldering tool. Bought some that I thought were correct from eBay, turned out they weren't (idiots had the wrong photo)

Finally found that Farnell actually sell them, waiting till I get over $75 worth of order so I can get free shipping...

utopian201
07-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Where did you buy them from?

I got them from my work. Apparently the new bulging (or original bulge) can be caused by a dirty psu brick. The guy at work said change it with another 9v supply, since its likely the manufacturer just grabbed the cheapest supplier.

Agent_24
07-12-2010, 02:30 PM
That could be true, but at the same time if you use capacitors of a grade such as those originally in there, you'll end up with the dying quickly again.

Unless they are something decent like Panasonic, Rubycon, Sanyo etc.. there is no point in using them if you want them to last for any decent amount of time.

Agent_24
11-12-2010, 03:50 PM
I replaced the capacitors today, with Panasonic FM.

My router still works - and the annoying hissing noise it use to make is gone. It get PPP light on straight away after DSL sync as well (instead of waiting 20 minutes sometimes), so hopefully that issue is also fixed.

But damn the capacitors get hot! I am not sure how long the new ones will last. The idiots who designed it probably used capacitors rated too low for the design. I'm not surprised yours are bulging again so soon, now.

If these new ones die before we all convert to VDSL2 and have to buy new routers anyway, I might look into putting solid polymer in there next time or something....

There are no markings on my replacement capacitor, only temp, capacitance and voltage.

Are you sure there is not even a series code? Usually two letters... Might be a logo on there too. I just had a look at your photo again, the 220uF - they look like Nichicon?

Chilling_Silence
11-12-2010, 10:20 PM
You can see why it's not far-fetched for mine to have become a discolored medium-dark brown rather than the light cream they ship from the factory as huh? ;)

WarNox
11-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Orcon send the RTA1320 out for free, well the shipping cost. Last time I requested one they sent me 2 :banana so I'm keeping one spare because I know it's only a matter of time :D

With the configuration backed up its only a 5min job to get the new one going, rather than trying to replace the capacitors :)

Agent_24
11-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Sure, if you like to throw away stuff that could be fixed by parts costing the same as the shipping cost of a new one.

Replacing the capacitors is fairly easy if you know what you're doing.

The old capacitors lasted less than a year and a half. We shall see how long the new ones last. If they fail pathetically quickly too I will look into making some modifications next time around. Good learning experience in my opinion, if nothing else.

You can see why it's not far-fetched for mine to have become a discolored medium-dark brown rather than the light cream they ship from the factory as huh? ;)

Mine has managed to stay the same colour so far... but only time will tell.