PDA

View Full Version : Works8 - how to fix please

dianne pierce
21-11-2010, 04:51 PM
When I open the works calender I get the message Works8 has encountered a problem and needs to close. This is what the error report details are, AppName: wkscal.exe AppVer: 8.5.818.0 ModName: wkcalac.dll
ModVer: 8.5.818.0 Offset: 00065b7b

Snorkbox
21-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Did the other thread not help then?

dianne pierce
21-11-2010, 05:06 PM
no sorry snorkbox. Still trying to fix the calender. Left a message in the other thread too if you would care to read it

Snorkbox
21-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Yep. Just read it. Looks like it won't uninstall as you don't have the original CD.

I will have a think about it.

In the meantime see if you can find Revo Uninstaller and try that. Get the free version.

dianne pierce
21-11-2010, 05:17 PM
strange thing is I can access works calender from programme files and get it to open. The history in there is still working and contains everything that was there before. It is the appointments that is empty. I cannot open the calender using the start button the taskbar or when choosing start , all programmes and then clicking on to microsoft works. Thats when I get the message WOrks has encountered a problem and needs to close. I have saved the wkcalcat.dat to my desktop just in case.

Snorkbox
21-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Well we might still be dealing with a bent or broken calendar file but I think it's a bent or broken Works 8 application.

Get this:-

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

And run same. Looks like the Pro version is fully functional for 30 days so you may as well get that. You will probably only need it once.

Then reinstall works using the file you downloaded a couple of days ago from microsoft.

dianne pierce
21-11-2010, 05:55 PM
You wouldn't believe it. I just installed revouninstaller but when I tried to uninstall works8 it said "You are trying to uninstall is a feature on a CD-Rom or other removable disc that is not available. Please insert microsoft Works Disk and click ok. Use source Microsoft Works Suite 2006.

Snorkbox
21-11-2010, 06:02 PM
You wouldn't believe it. I just installed revouninstaller but when I tried to uninstall works8 it said "You are trying to uninstall is a feature on a CD-Rom or other removable disc that is not available. Please insert microsoft Works Disk and click ok. Use source Microsoft Works Suite 2006.

Yes. I expected that. But revo should carry on doing its thing. Did revo not do that? You want to run Revo in Advanced mode and also select next and delete a few times.

Snorkbox
21-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Incidently how did work8 get installed on the computer in the first place? Do you have a recovery partition and/or recovery CDs?

dianne pierce
21-11-2010, 06:18 PM
It was installed on the laptop when we bought it. No don't have recovery partition as far as I know nor CDs Also Revouninstaller would not continue with the uninstall as it said "no valid source could be found"

Snorkbox
21-11-2010, 06:21 PM
What make and model Laptop are we talking about and did you buy it new from a retailer?

In the meantime have you tried Revo in advanced mode? It should get you past that error in the MSWorks uninstall.

Snorkbox
21-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Here's another uninstaller you can try. It offered to get rid of my Works 8

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/download

Hope this helps.