PDA

View Full Version : Word 2007 - how to revert to 100% page view

John H
21-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Hi Word experts

I am not sure if I have phrased this question correctly - please bear with me.

I have a colleague who must be as blind as a bat - documents sent to me from her for quality approval open ok, (in print layout view) but she has somehow set them at an enormous zoom setting.

It irritates the hell out of me because I like to see the documents at their normal size. At her setting you only get a portion of the page on the screen - when I view at 100% I get the whole page (or two pages side by side if there are no formatting changes in track changes).

I can re-set them to 100% using View > 100%, but they don't save like that. Each time I re-open the document it is zoomed again.

I cannot find out a way of getting them back to a default 100% view, and saving them like that. Has anyone solved this problem?

Thanks in advance.
John

pcuser42
21-11-2010, 01:19 PM
It saves the view setting for me if I use the zoom slider in the lower right corner.

Scouse
21-11-2010, 01:31 PM
Hi John. Make the page size changes and then Save As with a different name. For example, I recently received History03, changed it and saved as History04. This retains any changes you have made. If you need to be pedantic about file names, delete the original and then change your new file name back to the original.

John H
21-11-2010, 01:39 PM
It saves the view setting for me if I use the zoom slider in the lower right corner.

Thanks, but that does not work for me. It has just the same effect as using the 100% button on the View menu bar - it changes ok, but the next time I open the document (despite having saved it at 100%) it still opens zoomed.
Sigh... Grrrr...:badpc:

John H
21-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Hi John. Make the page size changes and then Save As with a different name. For example, I recently received History03, changed it and saved as History04. This retains any changes you have made. If you need to be pedantic about file names, delete the original and then change your new file name back to the original.

That works Scouse, so thank you. I will do that from now on.

What an obtuse way to have to go about sorting out the issue! I wonder how she does it in the first place so that it continues to open zoomed? And why isn't there a simple way to reverse her changes?

Sadly, in the case of these documents I do have to be pedantic about the file names, because I am an outside contractor, and messing about with file names will mess up their tracking of file versions, so I have to do as you say.

Bloody Microsoft.

feersumendjinn
21-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Perhaps something here
http://word.tips.net/

John H
22-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks. I tried to find the issue there, but no luck. Boy, is it hard to find a way of expressing the problem in a short enough form for search purposes!

Good resource though - I will use that in future as other problems come up, as they do with Microsoft products... Thanks again.

Snorkbox
22-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks. I tried to find the issue there, but no luck. Boy, is it hard to find a way of expressing the problem in a short enough form for search purposes!

Good resource though - I will use that in future as other problems come up, as they do with Microsoft products... Thanks again.

If you want all docs to open at 100% by default you can add a macro to your normal.dot file as explained here:-

http://word.tips.net/Pages/T001343_Automatically_Opening_a_Document_at_a_Spec ific_Zoom_Setting.html

HTH

John H
22-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks SB. That would be quicker than saving as.. every document she sends me.