PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning computer case - kids!!

Myth
21-11-2010, 09:17 AM
My kid loves to draw.
And guess what dad discovered on his media-PC case... some fine art done with crayon. :eek:

How does one clean this off without damaging the case.
I also have some sticky residue from a case sticker to get rid of as well.
Case is metal, with a matt black finish.

Happy Harry
21-11-2010, 09:26 AM
My kid loves to draw.
And guess what dad discovered on his media-PC case... some fine art done with crayon. :eek:

How does one clean this off without damaging the case.
I also have some sticky residue from a case sticker to get rid of as well.
Case is metal, with a matt black finish.

I would try IPA (isopropyl alcohol) on the crayon.
My favourite all over cleaner for beige boxes is window cleaner, sprayed onto a cloth and them wipe down the box. Good on keyboards and mice as well.
Works a treat

Lawrence
21-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Turpentine or De-Solv-it

Paul.Cov
21-11-2010, 11:12 AM
I've managed ok with meths - takes a while to soften the sticker residue, but patient rubbing with meths seems to work ok.

Dunno 'bout the crayon.

feersumendjinn
21-11-2010, 11:29 AM
CRC Brakleen will definitely work (as long as the black paint is oven-dried, try it on a out-of-sight area first), but will soften some plastics, be careful.
Also good for removing grease/oil stains from clothes/car fabrics (squirt it on a clean rag, and rub vigorously).

feersumendjinn
21-11-2010, 11:47 AM

bluenose
21-11-2010, 11:50 AM
The best thing I've found for removing the sticky residue from labels is vegetable oil. Yes, Vegetable Oil. It seems that the molecules are smaller than those of the Adhesive and therefore are able to penetrate and break them apart. Use plenty and just wipe off when finished.

I have never damaged any paintwork with this method.

bluenose.

Grimy
21-11-2010, 02:18 PM
De-Solv-it +1 for the sticky residue (smells nice too....).

Myth
21-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Ok, thanks for that

BTW - brakecleen is what they use to clean dirt off matresses (on white ones only). Works brilliantly

SoniKalien
21-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Baby wipes - works good on crayon, also does residue with a bit of elbow grease :)

Billy T
22-11-2010, 02:31 PM
I don't fancy your chances with a matt-black finish, just about anything will mar that type of surface. Whatever you try, don't rub if you can avoid it, dabbing solvent and blotting may take more time but might avoid the need for a respray.

You could make test marks on a plate or some other non-absorbent surface with the same crayons etc as the little darlings used and test your solvents and removal techniques on that first. Then, if the inside surface of the case is the same matt finish, make some marks there and try the best solvents before risking it on the outside.

Worst come to worst, you may need to do a respray.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Driftwood
22-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Once you have it all cleaned up, watch out, graffiti artists will usually return to retag.

SoniKalien
22-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Worst come to worst, you may need to do a respray.

That's not so bad when you get resprays like this (http://sonikalien.comoj.com/images/stories/airbrush/harley-panel.jpg) :D

Billy T
24-11-2010, 03:01 PM
De-Solv-it +1 for the sticky residue (smells nice too....).

That's the orange coloured/smelling stuff isn't it? It is very good indeed at lifting sticky stuff, labels etc, and removing other 'hard to dissolve' muck. It washes away with plain water too, but warm is better than cold. I've used it extensively and it has never damaged any surface yet, but no doubt the day will come....

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

jareemon
24-11-2010, 08:31 PM
an awesome dad would leave the art there, otherwise your kid might think you care about your computer more than him/her :)
although leaving it there may cause the child to think its ok and do it all over everything else :D