PDA

View Full Version : Windows Mail

bk T
21-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Just notice that Windows Mail has disappeared from Win 7 Home Premium. Remembered ever configured Windows Mail for a mate when Win 7 just released.

Substitute for Outlook Express? This old friend of mine just bought himself a new PC with Win 7 Home Prem only to find that his favourite Outlook Express has disappeared and rang me this morning and I told him to use Windows Mail but later I found out that Windows Mail has gone, too.

What should we use now?

Snorkbox
21-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Windows Live Mail 2011 perhaps.

You could try Thunderbird.

In my case I have Office 2010 so use Outlook.

bk T
21-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Windows Live Mail 2011 perhaps.

You could try Thunderbird.

In my case I have Office 2010 so use Outlook.

Can the Contacts, mails from Outlook Express be transferred to live Mail?

Unfortunately he hasn't got Outlook.

Snorkbox
21-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Yep. Do an Export from OE then import to Live Mail if OE is still working.

See this:-

http://www.pcdon.com/080113OutlookExpress-WindowsLiveMail.html

HTH

kjaada
21-11-2010, 09:45 AM
[QUOTE=bk T;968651]Can the Contacts, mails from Outlook Express be transferred to live Mail?

They can also be transferred to Thunderbird.
I find it difficult to understand why anyone would use a MS email system when they keep changing
almost yearly.
Thunderbird just flows along as Thunderbird and all settings I had many years ago are still relevant.

wainuitech
21-11-2010, 09:52 AM
You can Use Windlws Live Mail 2011 As Snorkbox suggested, it works perfectly. Follow the link he posted on exporting the mails from Outlook Express, then simply import them into Windows Live mail.

Two things / Advice.

Manually setup your user account with user name and passwords first, manually set up the servers as well, these mail programs hardly ever get them right.

Second thing -- when you import the mails from Outlook Express backup, they wont show in the folders ( inbox sent itemes etc) they will be under the store folders - Imported Folder Example from customers PC (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Capture1290289900.png)- So you can move them to inbox etc if you want or leave them there. All New mails will go to inbox.

Greven
21-11-2010, 10:30 AM
If the old computer is still running, install Live Mail on the old computer then run the Windows 7 Easy transfer wizard.