PDA

View Full Version : BIOS access in Vaio laptop

Robin S_
20-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Sony Vaio laptop (about 5 yrs old), Win XP Pro. This machine was the subject of a recent thread I posted (to be updated within the next couple of days) looking for a 56k PCMCIA modem. I have just obtained and installed one (test running it to post this) but cannot find how to permanently stop the original onboard modem from being reinstalled. I had been told to disable it in the BIOS but cannot find how to access this. Sony Help tells me to disable devices using the Sony Setup Utility but this appears to give access to a only few things like the printer. I have uninstalled the duff modem via Device Manager but of course it reinstalls at next startup. I am guessing that BIOS editing is accessed by pressing a key early in startup but neither Vaio Help or the manual mentions the BIOS (except in the Glossary)!

Advice appreciated. TIA.

Paul.Cov
20-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Found via Google using "Vaio bios press" - good luck

Sony (VAIO, PCG-Series, VGN-Series): Press [F1], [F2] or [F3] After Turning On the Computer
Sony Vaio 320 Series: Press [F2] During Boot

Robin S_
20-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Thanks for that - will try. Had thought of trying F1 and perhaps a few other keys but was a bit reluctant, and also searching, but thought that going to the 'knowledge committee' might be quicker!

Robin S_
21-11-2010, 10:36 AM
F1 didn't work but F2 did the trick. Many thanks.