PDA

View Full Version : Indian Gentleman on phone

Woody
20-11-2010, 05:12 PM
I've just had an unusual phone call from an Indian gentleman who insists that my PC has a problem whereby I am sending all sorts of data onto the net.
After much questioning I managed to get him to tell me who he represented. He assured me that he is with BOKA.net and they are the service providers for Windows in NZ.
He was very insistent that I allow him to talk me down on my keyboard to fix my "problem".
He may be genuine and I may be misjudging him but if he knows so much about my computor, how come he didn't even know when I unplugged my router in the midst of our conversation:rolleyes:?
Sorry this is such a ramble but has anybody had a similar call from "BOKA.net" trying to get you to follow their instructions to input stuff on your keyboard ?
Cheers

bob_doe_nz
20-11-2010, 05:17 PM
It's a scam. It's been doing the rounds lately.

Hang up.

WayneMiddy
20-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Scam doing the rounds in Christchurch as well. don't let them take you to a website where they ask you to input some numbers into a field, they then have access to your computer.
If you google Scam-Phone-Computer you will find it's been going on for at least 2 years overseas
Cheers Wayne

pctek
20-11-2010, 05:48 PM
BOKA.net the service providers for Windows in NZ.

Right. Service Provider.

MS owns WIndows. They neither care if you have a problem, nor assign 3rd party companies to care either.

Deimos
20-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Right. Service Provider.

MS owns WIndows. They neither care if you have a problem, nor assign 3rd party companies to care either.

I take it you have never dealt with Microsoft support then?

coldot
20-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Indian? Maybe.
Gentleman? Definitely not!

pctek
20-11-2010, 07:07 PM
I take it you have never dealt with Microsoft support then?

Twice.

bluezone
08-12-2010, 07:49 PM
just got this call tonight lol. spend about 15 mins on phone to him as i was on google looking the stuff and ended up just hanging up on him. mahaha wasted his $$.

Renmoo
08-12-2010, 08:13 PM
just got this call tonight lol. spend about 15 mins on phone to him as i was on google looking the stuff and ended up just hanging up on him. mahaha wasted his $$.
Should have said "BRB toilet"

mikebartnz
08-12-2010, 08:26 PM
I'm really slacked off as had one of those calls when I was out and would have loved to take them for a spin.

bluezone
08-12-2010, 08:36 PM
yeh. lol didnt think of that. lol brb got to have a crap. just be one second. and just put the phone down and on speaker. lol

SP8's
08-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Tell him you're not interested in talking to anyone in India because they beat the Blackcaps, you lost a lot on the bets you made ... and the Indian players you paid off didn't do what they were supposed to ... LOOSE .... :D

rebels181
08-12-2010, 09:40 PM
A workmate had one of these calls
Ask the caller if he was calling from a high-rise building the reply was yes
"Good" my mate said "go to the top and jump off" and hung up.
well not as polite as that.

bluezone
08-12-2010, 09:56 PM
lol nice one.

Agent_24
09-12-2010, 12:55 AM
A workmate had one of these calls
Ask the caller if he was calling from a high-rise building the reply was yes
"Good" my mate said "go to the top and jump off" and hung up.
well not as polite as that.

Should make a game out of it.. 50 Points if you can convince them to jump

1000 points if you can get them to throw someone else off

:devil

bluezone
09-12-2010, 01:00 AM
10000 points if you can hack his system.

coldot
13-01-2011, 08:28 PM
I got one! :D I got one! :D Finally they picked me! Indian lady, almost unintelligible, with massive echo of my own voice about 2 seconds delay. She tried to direct me to Event Viewer which I unfortunately 'could not find' after several 'attempts'. I put the phone to one side for a couple of minutes, walked around the house to get my breath back, and when I came back she was still there "hello, hello..." Finally I said my screen had gone blank and PC had died and the phone went 'click'. Ten minutes of their time wasted and I had no pressing engagements so had time for a bit of fun.

SP8's
13-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Just ask them what type of curry they'd recommend for dinner tonight and whether they deliver ... :D

Friend of ours just had a call today telling her that there was a problem with her laptop ... sure was ... she doesn't own one ... or any other type of computer ... tossers.

powerover
13-01-2011, 09:07 PM
I wish they pick me....would have a bit of fun...:devil

I was wondering what can be done if someone fall for it and did what they got told over the phone??? what can be done afterward to minimize the damage?

cheers

Agent_24
13-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Not sure what their agenda is but I suspect the damage to your computer would be the least of your worries (think identity theft more like)

WayneMiddy
13-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Had the same indian lady on Saturday night strung her along for half an hour, she had me open Event Viewer as well the standard saying when you confim you have errors in there is OMG i did tell her the screen went blank the OMG again, she then refered me to her superviser an indian bloke, still with the accent after stringing him along he sent me to www.suport.me which is where they plan to take control of your computer.

He then gets you to enter the last 6 digts of your COA number. I just entered 6 random numbers you get a measage saying something about expired so they then they tell you your OS has expired. After about 40 mins i had enough so told him he needed to see a proctologist, i gather he didnt understand so i repeated myself a couple of times,

Now at 45 mins on the phone i move on as someone had sugested on this forum i ask where he was and what sort of buliding he was in apparantly he's in Auckland yer right, so i asked what floor he told me he was on the 3rd floor i did ask how many floors the building had the answer was 2 going nowhere with this so i said can he get to the roof couldn't understand why i wanted him to go to the roof until i told him he neeeded to jump off. Well that did it, then all the abuse came f.. me my mother even got a mention so i then explained what a proctologist was,

Best 1 hour i have ever spent on the phone

Cheers Wayne

Agent_24
13-01-2011, 10:21 PM
:lol: :D that's pretty good! I would have loved to hear that conversation!

Maybe we should start recording these and putting them on Youtube?

WayneMiddy
14-01-2011, 12:21 AM
There is a couple of UK website which have audio recordings of these scams, some of them go back to 2008.

I did record the last 30mins on my cell but the volume is quite low and not sure what format it would be in. The phone is a Sony C510
Cheers Wayne

Chilling_Silence
14-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Go on, post it! :D

WayneMiddy
14-01-2011, 09:41 AM
I will see what i can do over the weekend. The website is www.support.me i left out one p as you can see what happens when you enter any 6 numbers i am guessing at some point they provide you with the 6 numbers to gain access to your PC then you will need some help.

Can anybody track down where the .me server could be, and could The Log Me In people shut them down.

Cheers Wayne

Cellux
14-01-2011, 10:16 AM
I will see what i can do over the weekend. The website is www.support.me i left out one p as you can see what happens when you enter any 6 numbers i am guessing at some point they provide you with the 6 numbers to gain access to your PC then you will need some help.

Can anybody track down where the .me server could be, and could The Log Me In people shut them down.

Cheers Wayne

Support.me and LogMeIn123.com are owned by LogMeIn (Which is an official remoting software). They're just using it in a way that they really shouldn't. Kind of surprised LogMeIn hasn't done anything about it though.

Billy T
14-01-2011, 12:09 PM
They haven't called me for several days now, I'm deeply wounded and upset, I mean, was it something I said, or maybe my accent is not of the sub-continent, it's not as if I didn't try, honest, I did my best, but you can't please everybody, I'm not that good with computers and too many questions make me nervous, the doctor said not to worry but I can't help it, I'm a worrying type, I mean, how could you not worry with your computer about to blow up in your face? why don't they call, I'm sitting here all day waiting, every day, I feel like I've been cast aside like a worn-out shoe, or maybe a clapped out sandal, it's not a nice feeling, I mean, what did I do to offend them? I'm not racist, some of my best friends are of indeterminate ethnic origins, I'm not responsible for their miserable life, I didn't rape or pillage their fetid country so why treat me like this? I thought we had an understanding, a budding relationship but no, they've just forgotten I even exist, I take the pills, honest I do, every day, well, every day that I remember and anyway, the voices are not really that loud, not so loud that I couldn't listen on the phone, I even watched the Commonwealth Games, it was my patriotic duty, I got Delhi Belly in sympathy but do they care? not a jot, I could be dead for all they know, slumped over my keyboard, tear-stained tissue clutched in my claw-like hand, rigor mortis keeping me from falling to the floor, and what if I did fall? would they know? would they care? I tell you it is inhuman, you wouldn't treat your dog like this, you'd eat it first, I don't know what to do now, should I wait for them to call again or should I make a clean break? I mean, nothing is forever, I just thought this time it would last a little longer, I try to be optimistic, I tell myself things will get better, Sarah Palin will quit politics even, Mark Hotchins will pay back the millions and swear a vow of poverty, or the National Party will develop a heart, I try to look on the bright side of life but rejection is just so hard to take, I have to go now, I'm running out of tissues and my keyboard is getting wet, maybe tomorrow will be a better day, maybe they'll call........................

Billy |-{( :crying

pctek
14-01-2011, 12:37 PM
:clap:lol::lol: BillyT

Zippity
14-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Jeysus Billy.

Ever heard of white space :(

Are trying to "out word" the legal fraternity?

Deimos
14-01-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm thinking I might prepare a VM locked down with GPOs so you can't even click the start menu, see how they react when I let them remote in...

Agent_24
14-01-2011, 01:06 PM
I'm thinking I might prepare a VM locked down with GPOs so you can't even click the start menu, see how they react when I let them remote in...

Ooooh, I like that idea! :lol:

Billy T
14-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Jeysus Billy. Ever heard of white space :(

Have you never heard a whining rant before? or a whinging child? you'd know that there are NO white spaces, they don't even stop to draw breath! Oh for a dark, dank, soundproof cellar, You can hide down there and the little bleeders will never find you.

So how would you feel if after 8 or 9 straight calls you were suddenly abandoned, I mean, like, don't get me started again, I'm running out of the pills and it's Friday so I'll never get to the Psychiatrist in time, are you that unfeeling? I was much better after letting all that out, I went and had lunch then had a little outing to clear my PO Box and visit the supermarket, but now look what you've done, I'm back where I started, in front of my computer, and still they haven't called...........:D

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :devil

Chilling_Silence
14-01-2011, 02:09 PM
:thumbs: good job Billy!

Yeah I like that idea Deimos, but I reckon they'd probably just tell you that you've got a virus and you need to buy their software. Still, if you prevent your machine from installing anything, yadda yadda, see what happens when they try and install it for you, prior to you purchasing it :D

Zippity
14-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Billy,

I was referring to the one hugggggggeeeee paragraph which is sooooo hard to read.

:)

Agent_24
14-01-2011, 02:31 PM
But it is a very funny paragraph nonetheless.

pctek
14-01-2011, 03:00 PM
one hugggggggeeeee paragraph which is sooooo hard to read.

I found it easy to read, in fact I sent it on to a couple of people, they had a big improvement to their day.
Shall we call it Friday laughs?

Zippity
14-01-2011, 03:17 PM
I went cross-eyed and got a &*^&*% headache :) :) :)

Chilling_Silence
14-01-2011, 03:54 PM
tl:dnr version:
He wants them to call him MOAR!

Billy T
14-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Billy,

I was referring to the one hugggggggeeeee paragraph which is sooooo hard to read.

Sorry about that, but I didn't take it as a criticism. For the record, it would have lost its punch if I'd broken it into sentences. I wrote it non-stop in one almighty burst (as rants should be written :D) and that is how it should be read. It does help though if you pause briefly at the commas or other punctuation marks to wipe the tears of sympathy from your eyes.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) ;)