PDA

View Full Version : Data transfer

4Lowie
20-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Hi all
Is there an easy way to transfer data to a new PC? I don't have a network hub. Can I get or make a crossover network cable? Or can it be done over USB?

Thanks

Agent_24
20-11-2010, 04:03 PM
A crossover cable will work fine if both machines have ethernet

You can make one but you need a crimping tool - probably cheaper to buy a premade one, unless you plan on making more cables

Nomad
20-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Crossover cable will work. But .. if you have a quite an older PC with a newer one it might throw up a fuss. At least in my experience. In some cases a switch/hub overcome that and in others in my experience it's hopeless with ethernet but use wireless.

If they are both relative new .. should be no probs.
Portable HDDs and USB sticks work brilliantly too. :)

Paul.Cov
20-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Ohh, one more word of caution there... If you're trying to network between Win7 and Win98 (or older) you may struggle.

Also re the memory sticks, Win98 lacks decent drivers, and you will need to use a stick of 2GB or lower capacity. So far Transcend are the only ones I've seen that include W98 drivers.

Chilling_Silence
21-11-2010, 07:46 AM
It *shouldn't* throw a wobbly with a crossover cable.

Win98 to Win7 is also relatively easily doable, just make sure the currently logged in User / Pass (Mandatory) is identical on both and it'll go a long way towards solving all your issues with file-sharing permissions.

Nomad
21-11-2010, 10:24 AM
win2k threw up a fuss just a couple of days ago .. i think it says "limited connectivity". then when you use the same equip - switch and/or cable on 2x W7 it works. have tested the cable too with a tool. wireless works thou.

could be the updates.
i know that if you reinstall win2k it works out of the box :rolleyes:

Agent_24
21-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Might be something to do with the speed\duplex settings then?

Sometimes it's better to force both to the same settings rather than try to let it figure it out on its own.