PDA

View Full Version : Redundant again?

Myth
19-11-2010, 07:42 AM
Morning all,

well, later today, I find out if I am to be made redundant; or re-positioned within the company (happy birthday me lol)

Anyway; got me thinking - how many of us out there have lost our jobs/been moved because of financial difficulties etc in this latest recession?

I was working for a company that had started up with a new product, the parent company poured millions into the development and said we were safe; and now they discover the need to downsize.

Bit devastated at the moment, but if I do get laid off, I have enough redundancy/annual leave owing to get the family through to the new year (early) - so it's not so bad - at least I have some leeway.

**Shameless appeal time lol** incidentally, anyone in New Plymouth area need computer repairs; or need a worker with forklift licence, gantry experience, novice to proficient WORD/EXCEL skills (I know how to create spreadsheets with basic formulae etc), stores experience / or the ability to learn something new (which does not involve heights) - gimme a yell :p

SP8's
19-11-2010, 07:48 AM
I was made redundant five times back in the 80's ... businesses just being taken over / restructured. Went for a stint in PNG for a while then came back and started my own business.

Happy Birthday by the way !!! .... life is sh!t at times ... but something usually comes along to make it good again.

Myth
19-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Actually my birthday is tomorrow.

But yeah, I fully intend to hit the ground running - next week
For now, I will just chill and try and enjoy this weekend - anyone wanna mow my lawns for me :p

gary67
19-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Yep not working here but slightly different reason can't do my job due to long term injury coming back to haunt me. Good luck though

Gobe1
19-11-2010, 08:07 AM
Good luck Myth and happy B day for tomorrow
I work in bell block and i must admit that work did get very light through 2009.
The management worked hard and found lots of smaller jobs and it hasnt stopped since and we are busier than ever now
You should be offering to mow others lawns :) LOL (for a fee of course)

Nomad
19-11-2010, 08:25 AM
have been made redundant but not in the recesssion era.
left b/c I didn't like the place at my own accord.

but .. for office jobs there are jobs to be had, ie., temping, be it for some weeks or months, PA work, data entry, Admin jobs, photocopy jobs, call centre ... not everyone's dream job thou.

DeSade
19-11-2010, 08:46 AM
Never lost a job, feel for you mate.

pctek
19-11-2010, 08:55 AM
I have a talent for it.

F&P - arrive in time for restructure and redundancies

PCTown - Owner sells

PCGEar - receivership

Here now - Merge next year and 3 guesses what will happen then

New Place - who knows but I've learned to rely on none of them

Stink isn't it? Sympathies, enjoy your unexpected holiday meanwhile.

Digby
19-11-2010, 02:21 PM
@Myth

Sorry to here that, hope things work out well.

NZ's unemployment is higher than a few years ago, but its really bad in the USA, UK, Spain, Ireland etc.

But that does not help us here.

plod
19-11-2010, 07:30 PM
It sucks big time, especially if you have a Young family. I got told January 2008 that the place I worked at for 14 years was closing on the 31 march. Managed too get new job in the febuary, and the job was kept open till the closing of my original employer.

Myth
19-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Well, it is official now

Would have been better I guess if the GM has actually shown his face to myself, and the other staff he had laid off - rather than get HR and the 2ic to deal with it. Gutless ass. Oh well.... life goes on.

As said, redundancy will get me through to the new year. So yeah... can't afford to sit round feeling sorry, have a partner and young kid to fend for. Here's to a new job hopefully soon, and then a new year :D

plod
20-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Well thats ****. Good luck,

somebody
20-11-2010, 09:32 AM
All the best Myth - hopefully you'll be able to find something soon.

Metla
20-11-2010, 10:10 AM

Myth
15-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Job interview tomorrow :D

Been pretty dry for jobs here recently, although I did apply for 6 from Saturday's paper
This interview from application made day after I was laid off

Miami Steve
15-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Good luck Myth

somebody
15-12-2010, 05:50 PM
All the best!

gary67
15-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Good luck, I'm not searching as have an MRI next week to see what the problem is