PDA

View Full Version : "Google Image Swirl"

jareemon
18-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Have you tried it? It's still in google labs, I think it is awesome, in some situations, but sometimes its more practical to use the normal image search, especially if you're looking for an image that isn't so popular/common.
Link here (http://image-swirl.googlelabs.com/)

Chilling_Silence
18-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Wow that's pretty cool!!

kahawai chaser
19-11-2010, 07:45 AM
Pretty good. I believe Google Images are also gearing up for ads (http://www.clickthrough-marketing.com/pay-per-click-display-ads-come-to-google-images-800243189/) (PPC in Adwords) as well, so if it uses swirl, will give good exposure for advertisers.

The Error Guy
19-11-2010, 08:25 AM
I can see a lot of potential from this. in typical google fashion it will become a very analytical and advanced image search with plenty of efficiency... either that or it will fail miserably.

Paul.Cov
19-11-2010, 09:31 AM
I'm not a guy who likes change, so I'd prefer to stick with pages of thumbnails in a regular grid.

Is there any significance to the grouping in Swirl? Or is it just bling for the masses?

kahawai chaser
19-11-2010, 09:37 AM
I'm not a guy who likes change, so I'd prefer to stick with pages of thumbnails in a regular grid.

Is there any significance to the grouping in Swirl? Or is it just bling for the masses?

It seems similar in concept to Google's wonder wheel in regular search results. I read somewhere many teen girls (in USA) search images. One niche blogger discovered this when blogging about American idol contestants. He got massive hits from image search. I'm guessing segmenting (or swirling) images could enhance for certain searchers - and for potential advertisers in the future.

jareemon
19-11-2010, 10:41 AM

This coming from the dog that quacks :D

The Error Guy
19-11-2010, 02:10 PM
I would add, I would HATE this if it became part of the normal searches. positivly HATE. it would be a "nice" option.

The grouping would be good to show "similar" or "related" images, making the search more defined, eg a search for "cat" > you click a black kitten > shows more images of similar black kittens.

CyberHubHost
19-11-2010, 03:44 PM
I have to agree, I love this Google Swirl. I am glad they are making a quadrillion dollars from Adwords so they can do cool stuff like this :)