PDA

View Full Version : USB 3.0

lostsoul62
18-11-2010, 05:53 PM
I have a USB 2.0 half Terabyte Hard Drive and it is slow. People tell me they buy terabyte USB 2.0 Hard Drives and I just scratch my head and say "Do you use it before you go to bed and is it done when you wake up"? So I can get a USB 3.0 Card and a Terabyte Hard Drive USB 3.0 for $100 or less. So why would anyone buy a USB 2.0 Hard Drive and why bother with a eSATA Hard Drive when USB 3.0 is faster? Now I have to be careful about latency and rotation speed. So does anyone have an idea on what the best Card and USB 3.0 Hard Drive might be?

Speedy Gonzales
18-11-2010, 06:05 PM
There's probably not a lot of cards around. Since USB 3 is pretty new. There's one here (http://www.elive.co.nz/msi-usb-superspeed-pcie-card-t1667.php). Pretty dear for 2 ports . Or this (http://www.priceme.co.nz/UNITEK-PCI-E-USB-3-0-2-Port-Card-Supplied-with-Low-Profile-Standard-Height/rp-3275754.aspx)

Probably cheaper buying a mobo with USB3 on it

Chilling_Silence
18-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Probably because most people don't consistently have to move hundreds and hundreds of gigs to and from the drive on a regular basis, so 480mbps is by and large quite sufficient for archival purposes.

Most people don't run an OS from their external hard drive ;)

Paul.Cov
18-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Even cheaper to remove the rear cover of an expansion slot and to run the cables for an internal SATA drive to the outside of the machine - then you can plug in an 'internal' drive from the outside - very mickey mouse, but fine if just for your own personal use.

SATA 3 may generate a fair bit of heat.

dugimodo
19-11-2010, 07:55 AM
they buy USB2 because until recently that's all there was. USB3 didn't exist and eSATA never really gained much support. If you buy USB3 right now it's probably the best choice but if you use it on anyone else's PC they are unlikely to have USB3 ports.

I bought an eSATA external a while back, ended up always using the USB cable because it was more convenient and hot swappable which eSATA never managed despite claims that it would. ( have to reboot for a new drive to be recognised and no safely remove option)

Deimos
19-11-2010, 09:51 AM
but if you use it on anyone else's PC they are unlikely to have USB3 ports.

True but since USB 3.0 is fully backwards compatible it won't matter.

Nomad
19-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Probably because most people don't consistently have to move hundreds and hundreds of gigs to and from the drive on a regular basis, so 480mbps is by and large quite sufficient for archival purposes.

Most people don't run an OS from their external hard drive ;)

people like me :D
we thought of gigabit lan switch but we just don't copy much stuff. we share the internet then we might copy 50MB or 100MB or occasionally maybe a 500MB or 2GB file like once per quaterly (year).

i would think eSATA would be faster right? I mean that is straight on the motherboard. could be wrong ...

as Speedy says, get it free on the motherboard down the road, bet there would be USB4.0 .... and so and so.. overtime filesizes would just get larger.

i do photography with adobe s/w, but mostly i just do admin stuff, with 2 internal hdds and 1 eSATA, it takes less than 10mins to sync. i don't do it every night but when i do, speed is never an issue. i use syncback. it's not like i am changing heaps of files every day.

Deimos
19-11-2010, 10:06 AM
On paper usb 3 is faster than sata3, in reality it will be slower but with todays hard drives there is almost nothing in it.

Tukapa
19-11-2010, 10:23 PM
they buy USB2 because until recently that's all there was. USB3 didn't exist and eSATA never really gained much support. If you buy USB3 right now it's probably the best choice but if you use it on anyone else's PC they are unlikely to have USB3 ports.

I bought an eSATA external a while back, ended up always using the USB cable because it was more convenient and hot swappable which eSATA never managed despite claims that it would. ( have to reboot for a new drive to be recognised and no safely remove option)

Not quite. I have had the same issues with my external eSATA drive but find that if pull up the device manager (through windows/pause break keys) then scan for hardware changes it finds the eSATA drive.

No need to reboot.

inphinity
20-11-2010, 10:14 PM
why bother with a eSATA Hard Drive when USB 3.0 is faster?

eSATA, with a SATA 6G controll,er has 6Gbps raw throughput, USB3.0 is 4Gbps raw throughput. So eSATA is faster.

Any current mechanical drive will NOT even cap out SATA 3G, so even if your eSATA port is only a SATA3G controller, you will probably find it slightly faster than USB3 due to interface & protocol overheads.