PDA

View Full Version : UPS for office printer

Metla
18-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Greetings people.

Have just set an office with all the stations hooked up through a Sharp 2300n printer.

We are in a rural area and every time the power fluctuates the printers IP resets and I have to set it all up again, pain in the arse for everyone involved.

So I sourced a UPS frpm DSE but the bugger just beeps constantly and claims to be overloaded, so what UPS should I get for her?

The DSE unit is
DYNAMIX 650VA Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)

inphinity
18-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Those big copier/printer/everythings can draw somewhere about 1.5kw during operation, so to actually allow it to run through power outages you're going to need something pretty major like an APC SmartUPS 2200VA.

18-11-2010, 01:16 PM
a quick google of laser printer + ups will show the issue here
ie dont use laser printers on home UPS's

. I just saw a pic of that 2300n. You'l need one heck of a ups for that mate

From the APC website
"Printers draw a very large amount of power and it is not advised that they be provided with UPS backup power because it is not economical. Many UPS for desktop use have additional surge protected outlets that do not provide backup power. This is where laser printers should be plugged in. Since laser printers are plugged into outlets that do not use the UPS battery, the presence of the laser printer does not affect UPS wattage or run time. If you do plug the Ink Jet Printer into the outlets with battery backup power, the UPS backup time during an outage will be reduced."

Metla
18-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Much appreciated folks.

Have returned the UPS.

I'll let the boss weigh up the cons and pro's of the system collapsing and a $2000 UPS.

In the mean time I have manually set the IP in the printer but so its now just a matter of waiting for the next power outage to see if it is retained in the system.

SolMiester
18-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Much appreciated folks.

Have returned the UPS.

I'll let the boss weigh up the cons and pro's of the system collapsing and a $2000 UPS.

In the mean time I have manually set the IP in the printer but so its now just a matter of waiting for the next power outage to see if it is retained in the system.

The printer shouldnt lose setting just because off power loss, I have big Xerox units that have come back up after power poss and settings are all good.
Have you turned the printer completely off then on to see if settings stay?, sound a bit iffy to me!

Metla
18-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Have you turned the printer completely off then on to see if settings stay?,

Indeed.

Simulated power failure causes the IP to be reset each time.

inphinity
18-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Sounds to me like the situation is that, when the printer is set to obtain IP by DHCP, when it loses power instead of renewing it's existing IP, it gets a new address assigned - is that correct Metla?

In such a case, either a manually assigned IP, or a DHCP reservation for the printer's MAC address should resolve the symptom.

SolMiester
18-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Sounds to me like the situation is that, when the printer is set to obtain IP by DHCP, when it loses power instead of renewing it's existing IP, it gets a new address assigned - is that correct Metla?

In such a case, either a manually assigned IP, or a DHCP reservation for the printer's MAC address should resolve the symptom.

Thanks, thats a better way of putting it.....I cant understand it losing a static address just though power lose!

Metla
18-11-2010, 06:44 PM

Indeed.

I have only manually set the IP address on the printer since returning the UPS, So lets hope she holds. If its the opinion of the resident collective that this should be the case then that is excellent.

CyberHubHost
19-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Second to inphinity comment. You should be able to turn off your printer and turn it back on and it should still work with a static ip address.

So, now you have set one, I think that you won't have any more problems.

Agent_24
20-11-2010, 12:50 PM
You can either assign a fixed IP at the printer, but for best results go to your DHCP server and assign a fixed IP address for your printer's MAC address.