PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 and dual displays

SolMiester
18-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Hi guys,

User has 7 enterprise laptop with a big 2nd LCD. When he disconnects the lappy from docking station which has the 2nd lcd connect the display reverts to clone when he redocks....I havent actually spend much time assessing options however wondering if there is a setting somewhere (windows drivers) which will remember when its docked to extend the display rather than clone?, or is the user doing something silly?

dugimodo
18-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Mine doesn't do that. The laptop has a function key to change screen modes, perhaps it could have an effect ? ( fn - F8 on my Dell )

wratterus
18-11-2010, 11:47 AM
I bet it's some bloatware/software that came with the notebook that's doing it.

I've got a few PCs/notebooks with a similar setup and they all behave very well/remember settings. Although windows key + P should be a quick way of sorting it out.

And if there's no bloatware/graphics software stuff on the notebook then I have no idea. :D

SoniKalien
18-11-2010, 11:49 AM
My flatmate has lappy with nVidia chipset - similar problems, although sometimes it clones and other times it dualviews. I suspect is has something to do with whether the external display is plugged in while the computer is on or not - eg if the computer is on and display plugged in, it will clone. There might be a registry setting somewhere...

SolMiester
18-11-2010, 12:04 PM
I bet it's some bloatware/software that came with the notebook that's doing it.

I've got a few PCs/notebooks with a similar setup and they all behave very well/remember settings. Although windows key + P should be a quick way of sorting it out.

And if there's no bloatware/graphics software stuff on the notebook then I have no idea. :D

Hmmm, its not bloatware mate, I installed 7 from WDS, I do have UltraMon on there so he can throw the windows between screen...Its got an analogue connection rather than a digital cable.....?!

It usually remembers if he turns off, undocks, goes away, comes back, then turns on, however its when he goes wandering around the office on wireless then redocks!

wratterus
18-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Hmm bugger...

I wonder if before he undocks, he does the win key + P thing and selects single monitor, then undocks, if that would make any difference?

SolMiester
18-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Hmm bugger...

I wonder if before he undocks, he does the win key + P thing and selects single monitor, then undocks, if that would make any difference?

LOL, we are talking about a user who doesnt have TIME to do such things...LOL, you know the type, it should just work.....Ill have to have a play with a spare combo

wratterus
18-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Gotcha... :badpc:

Let us know if you find a resolution anyway, I'm sure it's not just you who has/will have this problem.