PDA

View Full Version : What's a good blog site?

jareemon
18-11-2010, 09:49 AM
I'm looking for a blog site that I can use to... well... blog.
But I'm after something that's more for private blogs, not public, basically i just want to be able to record specific information on a daily basis and access it from any computer, but not allow anyone else access to it.
Also a provision for posting a breif blog via txt would be great.
So basically like facebook, but without all the friends.

Chilling_Silence
18-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Host it yourself, use wordpress.org :)

jareemon
18-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Host it yourself, use wordpress.org :)
Do I need to know php etc? I've never hosted a site before

Chilling_Silence
18-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Nope

SoniKalien
18-11-2010, 03:19 PM
It's good to though ;)

kahawai chaser
18-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Blogger has a text mobile set up service to auto generate a blog. Don't know about privacy though...being owned by Google.

Depending what you goals are for a blog, might be easier to document, then upload to a free online service, like Microsoft's SkyDrive. Then can convert later to a self hosted platform, as noted above with Wordpress.

Chilling_Silence
18-11-2010, 04:22 PM
With any Android / iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad you can use the Wordpress app and edit your own private website directly from your device.

jareemon
18-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Well ive just realised my phone cant go online because ive just changed to 2 degrees and the phone was originally sold as a telecom phone (c510a)
So i think ill just document and upload to skydrive.

FoxyMX
18-11-2010, 08:10 PM
But I'm after something that's more for private blogs, not public, basically i just want to be able to record specific information on a daily basis and access it from any computer, but not allow anyone else access to it.

Why bother putting it online then? Why not just write in a diary/journal or even just a text document on your computer? :illogical

jareemon
18-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Why bother putting it online then? Why not just write in a diary/journal or even just a text document on your computer? :illogical
Because I need access to it from wherever I am, especially if I'm not near my own computer, and I'm certainly not lugging around a book, I mean, come on, it's 2010 :D

SoniKalien
18-11-2010, 10:00 PM
So i think ill just document and upload to skydrive.

Skydrive is being phased out over the next few months so I've been told...

jareemon
18-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Skydrive is being phased out over the next few months so I've been told...
I'm quite sure that's just a rumour.

CyberHubHost
19-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Hi Jareemon,
I second Chilling Silence Wordpress is the perfect solution for you. With WordPress you can have your site up and running within an hour and WordPress is really easy to use, you don't need to know PHP or HTML.

I am about to make a video tutorial on how to setup a WordPress blog, would you like me to forward the youtube link once it is made?

jareemon
19-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Hi Jareemon,
I second Chilling Silence Wordpress is the perfect solution for you. With WordPress you can have your site up and running within an hour and WordPress is really easy to use, you don't need to know PHP or HTML.

I am about to make a video tutorial on how to setup a WordPress blog, would you like me to forward the youtube link once it is made?
yes please :)

jareemon
19-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Thing is, I don't know much about wordpress, and I went to download it, but it was just a bunch of files and no exe or anything. So I went back to the site and theres a link that said something like "click here if you have no idea what you're doing" or something and i clicked it and before i knew it, i was at a paysite and it was asking me for money, even with a 2 week trial. I would prefer to know what I'm paying for first, but it didnt give me that option, theres no way of knowing what im buying unless i buy it.

kjaada
20-11-2010, 07:05 AM
Check out : https://one.ubuntu.com/ This is free up to 2GB (I think from memory)
I use it to back up personal stuff for use between 3 PC's and 2 laptops.Both Windows and Linux are supported.

Erayd
20-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Thing is, I don't know much about wordpress, and I went to download it, but it was just a bunch of files and no exe or anything. So I went back to the site and theres a link that said something like "click here if you have no idea what you're doing" or something and i clicked it and before i knew it, i was at a paysite and it was asking me for money, even with a 2 week trial. I would prefer to know what I'm paying for first, but it didnt give me that option, theres no way of knowing what im buying unless i buy it.If you need to ask that question, you shouldn't be hosting your own.

Wordpress requires a webserver with PHP to run; it's not a standalone program, and does not come as a standard windows executable (.exe) the way you may be used to with standard desktop applications.

Note also that wordpress is a very common target for attacks, due to its massive user base (many, many millions). Unless you know how to properly set up and secure a webserver, and keep wordpress up to date and properly patched, you shouldn't be doing this yourself - use a hosted blogging system such as wordpress.com (http://wordpress.com), which will take care of all the technical details for you.

Morgenmuffel
20-11-2010, 07:17 PM
If you are going to set up wordpress, stick it in a subdirectory, if you don't want people to find it

eg yoursite.co.nz/noodlewanger/

The likelyhood of any bug/bot/virus finding your site would pretty damn remote

and if you take your phone everywhere, can you not store stuff on there and download it?

And don't add the directory to your robots.txt file.