PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Repair Companies?

systm
17-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Hey guys

Recently had a power failure issue with my external Western Digital 1T hard drive. Went to plug it in one day and the power LED would not light up, and the hard drive would not work. So I did some testing....

- Purchased 2 new enclosures, both same results. Plugged the sata and power conectors in. As soon as I switched it on the power LED would give a short blink and then nothing. Once I unplug the power connecter from the hard drive and switch it back on, the power LED would give a solid glow.

- Connected the hard drive to my desktop systm, nothing happens.

This leads me to believe the problem lies within the circuitry/chip board of the actual hard drive.

So I am wondering if anyone would know of the best place to get any specific hard drive repairs done? I am up in Auckland until Saturday afternoon, when I fly back South, so finding a company within Auckland before then would be wonderful.

Any help would be appreciated.

Speedy Gonzales
17-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Where are you in Auckland? I take it this. Connected the hard drive to my desktop systm, nothing happens. You connected it to a sata connector on the mobo as well?

systm
17-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Yes, I tested it in the desktop while it was connected via sata. Also, I can travel anywhere in Auckland.

Usually I would not be concerned about a problem like this at all, except, this hard drive which has stopped working is the backup of my audio prodcution projects, graphic/animation projects and music for the last year and a half.

wainuitech
18-11-2010, 06:24 AM
You may need to take it to a data recovery company, get them to recover your data onto another drive / source.

Even if you do find another circuit board, it would have to be the exact same one, and more often than not, even if they are changed, it will only be a temp fix as they often fail again.

Try This place (http://www.finda.co.nz/business/listing/21c5/computer-forensics-nz-ltd/) - they are in Auckland and several other location country wide.

All comes down to how important the data is to be recovered -- it wont be cheap - and any one mucking about with the drive can cause even more problems if they dont know what they are doing.

fred_fish
18-11-2010, 07:33 AM
So get a new hard drive and make fresh backups.

Or do you mean it is the storage of your work and you don't actually have a backup.

jareemon
18-11-2010, 08:07 AM
it wont be cheap
I've heard the price can range into $20,000 area, but with a problem thats mor elikely simply related to the circuitry in the drive, and the platters are fine, probably be a lot cheaper than that, but still, expensive. Being a backup drive, if you still have the original files on your computer, it would certainly be cheaper to just buy a new hdd and back up again.

wainuitech
18-11-2010, 08:39 AM
I've heard the price can range into $20,000 area, but with a problem thats mor elikely simply related to the circuitry in the drive, and the platters are fine, probably be a lot cheaper than that, but still, expensive. Being a backup drive, if you still have the original files on your computer, it would certainly be cheaper to just buy a new hdd and back up again. Wont be that expensive. From memory - they charge around $100 to look at it and give you a real price to recover.

Several I have had quotes for, but these were drives that had the click of death, ranged approx $1500-$2000

IF its just a blown circuit board, they would attach a good one and recover the data - so I wouldn't expect it to be over $2K.

IF its only backups, then jareemon's suggestion of getting another drive and rebacking up would be the cheapest option.