PDA

View Full Version : Knutty Problem.

Poppa John
17-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Hi All.

I have put Sygate Firewall on this computer again.I realise it takes a while to train.

However I have a recurring prompt.

NT Kernel & Systems. ntoskrnl.

Any idea what it is telling me? TIA PJ

zqwerty
17-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Double click Sygate icon in Taskbar/right click NT Kernel & Systems/allow

FoxyMX
17-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Double click Sygate icon in Taskbar/right click NT Kernel & Systems/allow

Are you sure? I used to use Sygate and in my notes that I took from their tech forum it says to block it.

If these are incorrectly configured then a remote user may access your PC or crash it. First, block the following applications:
NT kernel & system C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe

zqwerty
17-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Well presuming that your computer is not already compromised then this is a legit component of MS and is trying to contact MS presumably but if you like don't tick 'allow', tick 'block' then you won't get any more asking/prompts but if things don't work as you expect then remember that you have blocked this.

FoxyMX
17-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Personally, the less contact my computers have with Microsoft the better. :cool:

Poppa John
18-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Right then. I have tried ":Allow" & "Block" but it still appears. What next? PJ

FoxyMX
18-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Assuming you tried those settings when the popup appears, did you put a tick in "Remember this setting" (or words to that effect)?

Speedy Gonzales
18-11-2010, 05:08 PM
You probably cant block it completely, there's probably more than 1 instance of it. So, no matter times you try and block it, you cant

wainuitech
18-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Typical Firewall made by (guess who) if you click on Download Page (http://www.filehippo.com/download_sygate_personal_firewall/tech/) - Sygate Technologies --guess who's site pops up. :rolleyes:

Seems this brand of firewall is causing the most hassle with those files.

Why use such an outdated firewall anyway ??

Poppa John
18-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Typical Firewall made by (guess who) if you click on Download Page (http://www.filehippo.com/download_sygate_personal_firewall/tech/) - Sygate Technologies --guess who's site pops up. :rolleyes:

Seems this brand of firewall is causing the most hassle with those files.

Why use such an outdated firewall anyway ??

Because it seemed the most simple to use. Freeware program advice heeded!!! I think I will have to get rid of Sygate, it was a good program before it was taken over. I don't want to have constant reminders. Like wot Comodo dus. PJ

Poppa John
18-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Assuming you tried those settings when the popup appears, did you put a tick in "Remember this setting" (or words to that effect)?

Yes, every time. PJ

Speedy Gonzales
18-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Most firewalls will ask you to allow or deny whatever. If it didnt, it wouldnt be a firewall

FoxyMX
18-11-2010, 07:53 PM
I think I will have to get rid of Sygate, it was a good program before it was taken over. I don't want to have constant reminders. Like wot Comodo dus. PJ

I'm now using the free version of Outpost. It will still ask you if you want to allow programs access or not but automatically permits known apps such as Outlook Express, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.

Give it a try and if you don't like it you can always put Sygate back on again.

Remember to download it first and disconnect from the internet (or turn your modem off) before uninstalling Sygate.

Poppa John
18-11-2010, 09:11 PM
I'm now using the free version of Outpost. It will still ask you if you want to allow programs access or not but automatically permits known apps such as Outlook Express, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.

Give it a try and if you don't like it you can always put Sygate back on again.

Remember to download it first and disconnect from the internet (or turn your modem off) before uninstalling Sygate.

Giving it a GO now. Thanks. PJ