PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba 2180cdt laptop

spooky
16-11-2010, 07:25 PM
My laptop appears to have a corrupted HDD.
It is an IBM Travelstar 6Gb drive (part no. dara 20-6000)
I want to replace this drive with one that physically fits the slot in the laptop. I know it is an IDE drive.
Firstly, I want to know whether a larger drive will fit (say 40Gb) and secondly does anyone have an adress for somebody who sells these old drives.
I have tried Trademe but the sellers there do not really know what I am talking about.

I am going to repower this beast with Win98se.

TIA

Speedy Gonzales
16-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Before you remove the hdd and replace it with a bigger one. I would check and see if there's a BIOS update for it. Because, (it sounds like its old), it may have a 6GB hdd for a reason (and may not work with anything bigger). Unless you flash the BIOS. Otherwise if you buy the hdd, then install it, the BIOS may not detect it and you wont be able to use it

B52
16-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Hi Spooky,

you can still get IDE drives, but the price curve means that a 30GB costs about $120 on pricespy. An alternative might be get an old laptop that has an old IDE drive in it.

As a side note I used to own a Toshiba 430CDS with a 1.2GB HDD. Tiny. I have movies twice this size.

gary67
17-11-2010, 07:11 AM
Any 2.5 inch IDE hard drive should fit but as Speedy says they might not be recognised