PDA

View Full Version : What a hideuos road toll this weekend...

beetle
14-11-2010, 05:30 PM
What can one say, those poor people, families..... :(

hope you are all safe and sound......

beetle

Trev
14-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Yes and the silly season is fast approaching.
:(

R2x1
14-11-2010, 07:45 PM
I am quite sure it means we are in for a renewed onslaught of TV advertising.

tweak'e
14-11-2010, 08:42 PM

nah that started a month ago. suicide season is about to begin.

Trev
14-11-2010, 09:53 PM
I am quite sure it means we are in for a renewed onslaught of TV advertising.
Yes started today. Saw a couple of them while watching V8 Supercars.
:)

legod
15-11-2010, 08:59 AM
If these idiots want to kill themselves on the road that's fine. It's when they take out innocent road users that it makes me angry. Very angry.

It's not surprising that NZ has such a shocking road toll with the care-free lax attitude to driver training. It's far too easy to get a licence here with little or no formal training whatsoever. Bad habits are passed through generations.

Time to make a driving licence a privilege, not a right. And time to increase the minimum driving age. (It was actually time years ago but successive governments have procrastinated on the issue because us Kiwis think we are all experts when it comes to driving).

prefect
15-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Get these little spikes in the road deaths but we are 18 less than last year at same time.
Driving is a right any government that says otherwise and does something stupid will be on their ear because a lot of voters drive.
You can make people jump thru flaming hoops to get their licence wont make an iota of difference to road deaths.
Analyse them and you find pissed drivers,driving too fast for the conditions and not obeying rules. They will still do that after an exhaustive driving test.
I think its all good at the moment but I would like jail time for people who dont stop at stop signs.

SoniKalien
15-11-2010, 09:14 AM
And time to increase the minimum driving age. (It was actually time years ago but successive governments have procrastinated on the issue because us Kiwis think we are all experts when it comes to driving).
I thought it was because farm kids didn't want to have to apply for a license to drive the tractor...? :p

pctek
15-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Driving is a right .

Really? Who says? It's common but......

johcar
15-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Get these little spikes in the road deaths but we are 18 less than last year at same time.
Driving is a right any government that says otherwise and does something stupid will be on their ear because a lot of voters drive.
You can make people jump thru flaming hoops to get their licence wont make an iota of difference to road deaths.
Analyse them and you find pissed drivers,driving too fast for the conditions and not obeying rules. They will still do that after an exhaustive driving test.
I think its all good at the moment but I would like jail time for people who dont stop at stop signs.

I would back that proposal.

But also make penalties imposed for breaking laws dependent on the consequences to the victims. The more it affects a victim, the greater the penalty.

And mandatory CONSECUTIVE penalties, rather than concurrent ones. Why should a perpetrator get a bulk discount if there are multiple victims?

Marnie
15-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Really? Who says? It's common but......

I totally agree, pctek. Responsibility comes before right.

When we are driving from A to B we just wonder why the road toll isn't even higher.

Zippity
15-11-2010, 01:15 PM

Did it ever stop? :annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:

legod
17-11-2010, 09:40 AM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10687871

It's not often someone responsible for a fatal crash gets media attention. I think this incident has angered alot of people so she will be hung out to dry.

What's the bet that the stupid cow was texting or something?

Apart from some drastic mechanical failure, I can't understand how you would end up on the wrong side of the road like that without being careless.

I really hope we get some answers for what happened but it won't bring those cyclists back.

johcar
17-11-2010, 10:16 AM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10687871

It's not often someone responsible for a fatal crash gets media attention. I think this incident has angered alot of people so she will be hung out to dry.

What's the bet that the stupid cow was texting or something?

Apart from some drastic mechanical failure, I can't understand how you would end up on the wrong side of the road like that without being careless.

I really hope we get some answers for what happened but it won't bring those cyclists back.

Too early really to be speculating on the how.

Could be one (or a combination) of multiple reasons - too fast (late for work - new job, apparently), so cut the corner; forgot which side of the road she should be driving on (I understand she has recently returned from a stint in Canada); texting; inattention; driving one-handed while eating/drinking; adjusting the stereo...

Who knows - but I'm sure the Police Forensics team will establish a cause, but it may take a while.

Whatever the reason, as you say, it won't bring those people back.

She will eventually be charged: Careless Driving Causing Death (x2) and Careless Driving Causing Injury (x1).

The tragedy there, as I mentioned above, is that she will get a 'bulk discount' on the charges and will receive punishment as if she was charged only with one... :(

Understandably, there is (and will continue to be) a lot of anger about this tragedy, but the cynic in me suggests that nothing will change, in the short to medium term.

You can't legislate attitude changes (unfortunately). And education, if it works at all, is a long slow process.

coldfront
17-11-2010, 10:37 AM

Wrong very wrong and thats something that you and many people who say driving is a right can not see or understand.

Driving licence a privilege, not a right. If it was a right you would not need to gain a licence.

Being able to drive is something we take for granted nowdays because it is so neccessary to be able to use a vehicle in every day life in New Zealand.

I earned my privalage to drive and if I stuff up and disobey the rules then it will be taken from me, yet another thing that people struggle to comprehend and in truth New Zealand is way to lax in enforcing those rules. Then again maybe its because I gained my driving experiance in another country where enforcement is tougher? NZ has to much focus on the revenue gathering side rather than making people fear losing the licence.

Lot of factors involved in these incidents over this weekend. Having been to numerous road accident scenes over the years nothing really is cut and dried as to the cause or reason. But one common theme is the road design in New Zealand which has been pointed out is to narrow on many stretchs of road with very little escape or vision to actualy be acceptable to the guidlines of the road code i.e. clear vision ahead and allowing room passing slower vehicles.

Roading improvements are the only way to cull the amount of deaths and injuries oon our roads. It will not prevent them but will reduce the risk and the idiots will still be idiots except you will be able to find them easier.

prefect
17-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Ok its a right to apply for a licence then.
Some voters are drivers no government had better forget it.

johcar
17-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Wrong very wrong and thats something that you and many people who say driving is a right can not see or understand.

Driving licence a privilege, not a right. If it was a right you would not need to gain a licence.

Being able to drive is something we take for granted nowdays because it is so neccessary to be able to use a vehicle in every day life in New Zealand.

I earned my privalage to drive and if I stuff up and disobey the rules then it will be taken from me, yet another thing that people struggle to comprehend and in truth New Zealand is way to lax in enforcing those rules. Then again maybe its because I gained my driving experiance in another country where enforcement is tougher? NZ has to much focus on the revenue gathering side rather than making people fear losing the licence.

Lot of factors involved in these incidents over this weekend. Having been to numerous road accident scenes over the years nothing really is cut and dried as to the cause or reason. But one common theme is the road design in New Zealand which has been pointed out is to narrow on many stretchs of road with very little escape or vision to actualy be acceptable to the guidlines of the road code i.e. clear vision ahead and allowing room passing slower vehicles.

Roading improvements are the only way to cull the amount of deaths and injuries oon our roads. It will not prevent them but will reduce the risk and the idiots will still be idiots except you will be able to find them easier.

Kiwis don't fear losing their licence, because it takes a BIG infringement to lose it, and even if you do, it's a piece of cake to get a day licence. Nanny-state couldn't possibly cause Joe Blow to lose his driving job!!! Never mind that it was Joe Blow's own actions that put him in that position.

And even if you can't get a day licence, and go ahead and drive without one, the penalties imposed are pathetic.

No fear of consequences, no respect.

Roading improvements would have only a small effect on road deaths/injuries. NZ roads (mostly) are no worse than anywhere else in the civilised world.

It's driver attitude that is at the very heart of the matter. The attitude that "I'm a good driver. I can react in milliseconds. It will never happen to me (because I'm a good driver). Driving to my destination is a race - no-one must overtake me. Anyone in/on a smaller vehicle shouldn't be on the road." is the key to problems on NZ roads.

Ask anyone who has driven overseas and then drives here!!!

coldfront
17-11-2010, 12:24 PM
I agree with what you said and by refering to roading improvements I was echoing what was pointed out by a member of the family of one the cyclists killed.

We laughingly call our roads Highways yet many of them would struggle to be classified anything more than a UK B grade road. Those road also have a speed restriction of 60mph (100kph). Our Motorways struggle to even match a UK A road so little wonder why it is suggested road improvements needed.

johcar
17-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Have to agree with you on the designation of roads in NZ (having driven in the UK for several years as a courier). The Auckland Motorway (for instance) does not deserve that designation - it almost wouldn't make an A-road either.

The problem and the difference here its that there is not a 55-60 million people tax-base to build and maintain the standard of road you see in the UK and Europe. So everything is done on the cheap: chip-seal anyone?

But despite that I still maintain that it comes back to driver attitude. The roads aren't all A1 quality - OK, so drive to the conditions. Narrow road? Slow down. Twisty road? Exercise some patience before attempting an overtaking move.

Personal responsibility. Take some. It's free.

coldfront
17-11-2010, 12:55 PM
I agree with what you said and by refering to roading improvements I was echoing what was pointed out by a member of the family of one the cyclists killed.

I used to be a competative cyclist but living where I do now I use the excuse of the hills and distance as a reason not to cycle anymore. Actually on reflection I think the true reason is the road itself and how vulnerable I feel cycling on it. Be it driver attitude or the B-Train whistling passed mere millimetres from my elbow I do not know. Fact is when I see cyclists on these roads I give them the distance they deserve but other s are so impatiant.

Over the weekend I witnessed overtaking that defied belief on Solid Yellow lines, the manuaver was simply to pass a vhiecle travelling at 90kph and a Bus with Passengers no less. I was driving that Bus and it happened twice. How much time was saved in such a risky game of chance?

Then there was that SUV that flew passed me while I was in my Car travelling to work at 100kph on a straight piece of road that as soon as they hit the first bend they hit the picks and constantly braked for every minor corner and I caught up with them and found myself slowing for areas I would not normally do or need to. Then as soon as they saw a long straight they were off again at warp factor 10 unfortuantely for them there observation skills failed to observe a patrol car heading the opposite direction. Probably whining now about revenue gathering!!!

There is no fear for losing the licence here! Over in the UK I feared getting points on my licence because it meant higher insurance premiums and risk to employment or getting employment. When I got my first ever speeding fine here in NZ (yes I made a mistake) I was annoyed with myself for putting tainting my driving record and putting my job at risk. I now realise that hey you dont need to worry!!!! Which I find unnerving to even think like that.

Yet I find it so astonishing you get slapped $55 for not carrying your driving licence, no points for speed camera offences and it very hard to get demerit points for anything other than being stopped by Mr Plod for minor speeding infringements. Yes many are minor despite what has been said to the contrey.

prefect
17-11-2010, 02:14 PM
I completely disagree about the state of the roads in NZ. I think they are ok drivers, need to adjust their speed to to the conditions of the road if they are less than autobahn standard.
Blaming the roads is a cop out, the clowns that say that just need to slow down on windy and hilly sections.
Our stupid rag called the western leader says the hilly bit on candia road is a blackspot for accidents because some chick got killed there, what a load of ****. Sure its dangerous driving through there in the rain at 110 kph but its just a bit of road to me and the thousands who travel on it.

The Hitcher
17-11-2010, 02:55 PM
People will always die on our roads as long as humans are at the wheel.

Those who bike on our highways must accept some risk, unpalatable though that may be.

DeSade
17-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Cyclists should be 100% banned from 100km zones.

nerd
17-11-2010, 03:04 PM
I doubt increasing the driving age would change anything, how many 15 year olds die while driving? I say jail terms for repeat offenses of things like drunk driving or speeding, not speeding as in a few k's over, but the people who are caught at like 20km/h over.

I just read the above link, why would any sane care if that ***** is traumatised? She caused the deaths of 2 people, I don't think she would deserve any sympathy at all.

Zippity
17-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Cyclists should be banned from riding on the dual carriageway where a riding lane is clearly marked on the adjoining footpath - the stretch of Hutt Road between Aotea Quay and Thorndon Quay being a prime example :( :(

nerd
17-11-2010, 03:11 PM
I don't think people are getting the point, cyclists can be really annoying, especially when they aren't riding single file on a narrow road or when there is a parked car there too, but the lady crossed TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD and hit the guys, how can it be anyone else fault?

The Hitcher
17-11-2010, 03:18 PM
I don't think people are getting the point, cyclists can be really annoying, especially when they aren't riding single file on a narrow road or when there is a parked car there too, but the lady crossed TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD and hit the guys, how can it be anyone else fault?

It may not be the cyclists fault but we all take our chances when we venture onto the roads.

coldfront
17-11-2010, 03:47 PM
I completely disagree about the state of the roads in NZ. I think they are ok drivers, need to adjust their speed to to the conditions of the road if they are less than autobahn standard.
Blaming the roads is a cop out, the clowns that say that just need to slow down on windy and hilly sections.
Our stupid rag called the western leader says the hilly bit on candia road is a blackspot for accidents because some chick got killed there, what a load of ****. Sure its dangerous driving through there in the rain at 110 kph but its just a bit of road to me and the thousands who travel on it.

Couple of points you say its not ok in the rain to drive through that section of road at 110kph. Correct you can drive through it at 100kph in good conditions unless other traffic and weather conditions dictate otherwise ;)

You refer to the state of the roads! Well it is not so much the road surface its the terrain and furniture around the edges thats the problem.

A notorious section of road near where I live was a constant accident (couple times per year) blackspot it took two people to die and another to be crippled for life before they realised removing the Trees on either side would A, Improve the road surface by allowing the sun/wind to reduce the slippery surface and B, Remove the Trees that were being hit when people spun out. Funny thing since then no accidents that over two years now!

Another section of hill road they put a crash barrier along the road and guess what!!! No more vhicles flying over the bank and killing the occupants. Now all they need to do is remove the blind spot for the junction!

Other sections of road removing corners and making visibilty clearer has also helped reduce accidents or even near misses.

Still a lot to be done because the other key cause of Accidents along the southern section of SH4 is caused by fatigue! North bound traffic seems to be the worst affected after the gruelling hour plus through the paras from Wanganui only to find realitive straight roads to Taumarunui. That point peoples attention drifts and bam a corner or roadside gulley catches them.

Obviously I talk about a section of road I know well, yet in saying that the incidents of accidents in the area rarely relate to weather ie snow, ice, rain. Perfect weather days straight pieces of road and people fall off them. Variety of reason and the typical stereotype of Speed, Alchol or bad weather hardly plays into the reason. Irony though is most have the same direction or departure area. But yet again improvements to the sections of the road are reducing those fatigue accidents.

Overtaking in stupid places ie Yellow lines, blind corners or simply taking the shorter line on those corners is PART of the problem which road design which is still in its infancy in New Zealand can be improved upon. Ultimately the nut behind the wheel is the crucila part in being able to see and prevent such accidents.

coldfront
17-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Cyclists should be 100% banned from 100km zones.

You clearly do not live in the more rural parts of New Zealand then?

Is it so hard to slow down enough to be able to pass a cyclist or group safely without forcing the cyclist into the verge or putting yourself into an oncoming vehicle? I see a lot of open road cyclists and cycle tourists I drive a very large vehicle yet I can give them room without trying to kill them.

And since this was stirred up by those cyclists killed because that woman crossed the centreline, image that had been a bus full of children instead, oh yes that happened as well.

coldfront
17-11-2010, 03:58 PM
It may not be the cyclists fault but we all take our chances when we venture onto the roads.

And it is our responsibility as road users to ensure that we do not put others at risk, be we driving , riding, walking or working on those roads.

DeSade
17-11-2010, 03:58 PM
I don't really give a rats ass about rural roads.
I am urban based.

coldfront
17-11-2010, 03:59 PM
I am urban based.

Then lose the attitude before you kill someone.

The Hitcher
17-11-2010, 04:14 PM
And it is our responsibility as road users to ensure that we do not put others at risk, be we driving , riding, walking or working on those roads.

Agreed.

tweak'e
17-11-2010, 05:05 PM
well in contrast yesterday i had two cars come around the corner on the wrong side, both easily went back to the correct side well before it would have been dangerous. they are only cutting the corners because they are lazy.

and today had a car try to overtake after the passing lane finished and very nearly smashed up my rear. it looked like it had waitomo lodge written on the number plate.
again probably because they where lazy and didn't read the lane closes here sign.

nerd
18-11-2010, 04:24 PM
well in contrast yesterday i had two cars come around the corner on the wrong side, both easily went back to the correct side well before it would have been dangerous. they are only cutting the corners because they are lazy.

and today had a car try to overtake after the passing lane finished and very nearly smashed up my rear. it looked like it had waitomo lodge written on the number plate.
again probably because they where lazy and didn't read the lane closes here sign.

Doesn't give them a reason to do it though. Being lazy can kill people.

coldfront
18-11-2010, 04:56 PM

They are not lazy! They just do not think of the consequences of the actions they undertake.

Cutting a corner is fine if A, No other vehicles/traffic (motorised or not), on the road b, you can clearly see a safe distance in the direction or what could cause a problem for your action.

You got to be really dumb to cut a corner when it puts you in the path of other traffic or you are unable to see beyond a safe distance.

As for your near miss rear ender well thats another of the dummies who can not judge speed and distance perception and do not think. That same person probably escapes their notice when they come up behind a cyclist or find any type of obstruction in the road and can not think earliy enough if they drop a few ks they may pass more safely. But know they have to either slam on the brakes, hit the object or most likely position themselves across the centreline forcing oncoming traffic to swerve in avoidance.

Just find the other dummie who wonders what to do in that situation and the recipe for head on collision is perfect.

Nomad
18-11-2010, 05:02 PM

had the same 2 days ago at Wellington in Makara. A passenger said a 18yr old guy was driving this 1980s Ford Falcon on the middle of 2 lanes. Makara is rural 15min from urban (can be).

Well I could just push my car to the side .. what else could I do? Then he goes past, see ya later mate, you go kid. :rolleyes:

when i did more skiing last year, they cut blindside corners on the highway doing over a hundred.

tweak'e
18-11-2010, 06:25 PM
well bugger, a car did the same damn thing in the exact same spot! they couldn't be bothered passing on the passing lane so they wait till the end, boot it and pass through the merge section.
then the bugger drives slow and i pass it (without going over 100km/h) on the next passing lane.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa314/tweak_e/offenders/2010111810251401.jpg

the other day.
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa314/tweak_e/offenders/20101117102956.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa314/tweak_e/offenders/20101117102954.jpg

tweak'e
18-11-2010, 09:25 PM
anyone watch "Crash Course" tonight?

giving out tickets for tailgating. what a joke, thats purely done for TV.
if they actually did that on a daily basis they would get their "quota" super fast !

prefect
19-11-2010, 06:40 AM
Other than cyclists pedalling thru red light and people who do not stop at stop signs, tailgaters really piss me off. I have a zero tolerance for them and just apply brakes and let them crash into the towbar.
Once I had a tailgater going up a hill all I did was lift my foot from the gas pedal and they smashed into the towbar

legod
19-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Other than cyclists pedalling thru red light and people who do not stop at stop signs, tailgaters really piss me off. I have a zero tolerance for them and just apply brakes and let them crash into the towbar.
Once I had a tailgater going up a hill all I did was lift my foot from the gas pedal and they smashed into the towbar

I share your hatred for these morons. I find the best way to deal with them is to take your foot off the gas AND LEAVE IT OFF until they back off.

I watched Crash Course too last night. They had some good videos of tailgating morons...most of them were clueless. About time this dangerous practice was clamped down on big time.

DeSade
19-11-2010, 09:31 AM
I share your hatred for these morons. I find the best way to deal with them is to take your foot off the gas AND LEAVE IT OFF until they back off.

I watched Crash Course too last night. They had some good videos of tailgating morons...most of them were clueless. About time this dangerous practice was clamped down on big time.

You know your just adding to the problem, why drag yourself down to their level, just move over and let them through, its not going to effect you any longer then is it.

johcar
19-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Did anyone see the Campbell Live (http://www.3news.co.nz/A-cyclists-eye-view-of-Tamaki-Dr/tabid/367/articleID/186877/Default.aspx) item last night?

(I was pleasantly surprised to hear John Campbell describe my group as "...the Pickled Pedallers, the famous Auckland cycling group...."!! :D)

prefect
19-11-2010, 11:03 AM
You know your just adding to the problem, why drag yourself down to their level, just move over and let them through, its not going to effect you any longer then is it.
They need educating thats why. Same reason Neville Chamberlain came back from Munich waving a piece of paper.

Gobe1
19-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Remember Peter Brock used to advertise the "only a fool breaks the 2 second rule"

legod
19-11-2010, 02:46 PM

Umm...no I'm not adding to the problem at all thanks. I don't ask to be tailgated. Neither does anyone else. Slowing down gradually is actually the best thing to do. They either get the message and back off or they finally decide to overtake rather than sit there aimlessly.
All these idiots will learn is that to get past someone, you just sit up their ass and harrass them.
The main reason for slowing down is if they are going to go up my ass I'd rather they did it at 50k than 100k.

Move over where? To the ditch at the side of the road? Do you suggest effectively creating an extra lane for passing?
That would be even more dangerous. How often do you see slow traffic pull over to a verge but keep their speed only to suddenly cut back in again because they've run out of room?
They have a whole lane on the other side of the road to get past if they so wish...how much more room do they need? Countless times I see people tailgate with no intention of overtaking at all.

legod
19-11-2010, 02:51 PM
I am urban based.

It's precisely this sort of arrogant attitude that causes problems on the road.

DeSade
19-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Umm...no I'm not adding to the problem at all thanks. I don't ask to be tailgated. Neither does anyone else. Slowing down gradually is actually the best thing to do. They either get the message and back off or they finally decide to overtake rather than sit there aimlessly.
All these idiots will learn is that to get past someone, you just sit up their ass and harrass them.
The main reason for slowing down is if they are going to go up my ass I'd rather they did it at 50k than 100k.

Move over where? To the ditch at the side of the road? Do you suggest effectively creating an extra lane for passing?
That would be even more dangerous. How often do you see slow traffic pull over to a verge but keep their speed only to suddenly cut back in again because they've run out of room?
They have a whole lane on the other side of the road to get past if they so wish...how much more room do they need? Countless times I see people tailgate with no intention of overtaking at all.

I meant move over as a more symbolic gesture, basically indicate to the driver behind to move past you and make it as easy as possible for them to do it.

coldfront
19-11-2010, 03:01 PM
It's precisely this sort of arrogant attitude that causes problems on the road.

Seconded and a good example is those arrogant urbanite drivers head out of the big smoke onto the rural roads and wonder why they become accident statistics.

coldfront
19-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Remember Peter Brock used to advertise the "only a fool breaks the 2 second rule"

Hes dead now as well, died in a motoring accident.

legod
19-11-2010, 03:08 PM
I meant move over as a more symbolic gesture, basically indicate to the driver behind to move past you and make it as easy as possible for them to do it.

I already do....except most still don't get it and I can't exactly create an extra lane for them to pass in the face of oncoming traffic if there isn't room.
It's the other reason for slowing down....they can get past alot quicker in a shorter distance. Problem then averted.

legod
19-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Seconded and a good example is those arrogant urbanite drivers head out of the big smoke onto the rural roads and wonder why they become accident statistics.

Every bloody time I drive up to the Coromandel or Northland I see problems with Auckland drivers....quite often those with a bit of money, often towing boats or driving 4x4s/V8s - they think they own the road and think no-one else has the right to be in their way.

coldfront
19-11-2010, 03:14 PM
tailgaters really piss me off. I have a zero tolerance for them and just apply brakes and let them crash into the towbar.

I see a lot of crazy stuff on the road and many dangerous pieces of driving and yet in 8 years of driving New Zealand roads I have yet to make contact or have another vehicle make contact.

Either it is luck or just being a better more defensive (avoiding) driver to prevent accidents.

The action of causing an avoidable accident just makes you no better than the person who is tailgating.

legod
19-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Either it is luck or just being a better more defensive (avoiding) driver to prevent accidents.

Agreed - unfortunately most drivers here lack any sort of anticipation...ie. reading the road ahead. Just today I had someone pull out on me at an intersection (50k zone) without looking...fortunately I trust no-one at intersections and managed to second guess them. First time I've had to test out the ABS on my new car though.
But it's that sort of situation that made me think 'had someone been tailgating me, they just would have gone straight up my ass and there's nothing I could have done'.

tweak'e
19-11-2010, 09:39 PM
well bugger, a car did the same damn thing in the exact same spot! they couldn't be bothered passing on the passing lane so they wait till the end, boot it and pass through the merge section.
then the bugger drives slow and i pass it (without going over 100km/h) on the next passing lane.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa314/tweak_e/offenders/2010111810251401.jpg

the other day.
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa314/tweak_e/offenders/20101117102956.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa314/tweak_e/offenders/20101117102954.jpg

just to add......

i was passanger in a vechile today and you guessed it, had the exact same thing in the exact same place. 3 in 3 days, not bad going.

DeSade
19-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Isn't it dangerous to take photos while driving?

coldfront
20-11-2010, 08:37 AM

It is actually not illegal to take a photo whilst driving, unless you crash. Unlike Cellphone use.

But the assumption that the driver was aiming and concentrating on focusing of a camera to take those shots is also misguided.

Be careful of your accusations when evidence like that is shown.

A guy who thought he could get away and deny overtaking a bus on a dangerous corner on yellow lines, came unstuck when he wanted to challenge the ticket. The bus driver had a cheap dick smith purchased digi cam mounted on his dashboard with 8gb memory :punk Modern technology means smaller easier to conceal mount cameras. You can even mount a video camera on your head so small not to be noticed.

The days of that just being in spy movies has gone! Big bro is watching you cuzzie :devil

tweak'e
20-11-2010, 07:20 PM
truck cam....... records everything, cameras fixed and pre focused, no user input required. don't worry the police asked the same thing ;)

these are getting quite common now. you can also tap into existing reversing cam. i understand there is quite a few cars running around auckland with the similar systems.
crash cameras are a lot more common and extremely common in the USA.