PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 Registry fixer

mikebartnz
13-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Hi there all. What is the best program for fixing registry errors, not just cleaning like CCleaner. Have tried Registry Mechanic and Free Window Registry repair 2 which I quite liked but none of them fix the error I have they just basically clean it. I may have to do a reinstall as I can't even delete the key causing the trouble.

PPp
13-11-2010, 02:04 PM
I'm only slightly familiar with windows registry, and win7 not at all. But is it possible to change the value of the key to "0", effectively switching it off?

Speedy Gonzales
13-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Be careful what and how many reg cleaners you use. You'll probably kill windows, if you get too carried away. So whats the key and whats the error? If it says denied permission or something, right mouse on the entry and give yourself permission to it

mikebartnz
13-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Can't enter the key to do that or even delete it. It keeps telling me there is an error so can't proceed. It is a bloody abortion the registry. All the crap that is kept in there that would be better in an INI file in the programs directory. Some twit with a blog on the net made the stupid suggestion that Linux needs one. With Swiftfox or Firefox in Linux I just unpack it to its own directory and when I have finished with it delete the directory and it is all gone.

Speedy Gonzales
13-11-2010, 02:22 PM
So what key are you trying to delete. Get teamviewer, and I can have a look

mikebartnz
13-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Be careful what and how many reg cleaners you use. You'll probably kill windows, if you get too carried away. So whats the key and whats the error? If it says denied permission or something, right mouse on the entry and give yourself permission to it
I feel like killing it anyway.:badpc:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Borland\Database Engine\Settings
I can't change the permission for the same reason even when I tried it through the Database Engine one.

Speedy Gonzales
13-11-2010, 02:34 PM
There's probably something thats still installed that uses / needs it. Just leave it there. Its not hurting anything is it

mikebartnz
13-11-2010, 02:45 PM
There's probably something thats still installed that uses / needs it. Just leave it there. Its not hurting anything is it
Thanks for the offer with Teamviewer but I don't think it will make a lot of difference.
I have Delphi and a program I made that uses it and the trouble is that I can't update the settings for the BDE and yet the BDE is the only one that needs access to it.
I have got a sale for a program I developed years ago and I bought this little MSI Wind with Win7 starter so I could make sure it would run on 7 and could show the program in action before she buys it. I am going to rewrite it using Lazarus and Firebird but that will take time and I want to try and catch this sale.

Terry Porritt
13-11-2010, 04:46 PM
I have tried many so-called registry fixers/cleaners etc over the years. In my experience none of them actually fix a real error, ie, like putting an entry back that has been deleted or otherwise corrupted, even though they claim to fix errors.

They generally only remove entries that they deem are no longer in use or connected to a current program.

pctek
13-11-2010, 05:12 PM
What is the best program for fixing registry errors.

There isn't one. To fix an actual error you need to DIY.

Registry programs are either bogus, malware or just do a half arsed tidy up.

kahawai chaser
13-11-2010, 07:04 PM
I have tried many so-called registry fixers/cleaners etc over the years. In my experience none of them actually fix a real error, ie, like putting an entry back that has been deleted or otherwise corrupted, even though they claim to fix errors.

They generally only remove entries that they deem are no longer in use or connected to a current program.

Same here - I have used many, and even when running again shortly after, it picks up a whole lot of the same fragments again which I think are references to programs. I do use registry searchers for finding reg files that I might alter/test for trouble shooting, after backing up the reg first.

mikebartnz
13-11-2010, 09:29 PM

I've come to the same conclusion and so I did a reinstall while I mowed the lawns. It would have really annoyed me if I had a well established machine.

apsattv
13-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Don't bother with any kind of registry cleaner fixers they are all gimmicks that cause more problems than needed.

The only thing to use is NTREGOPT :D but not in Windows 7

gary67
14-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Could you not have done a repair install instead of a full install? Surprised no one else mentioned doing that

mikebartnz
14-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Could you not have done a repair install instead of a full install? Surprised no one else mentioned doing that
I had tried a restore point and that didn't work and I was sick of mucking around and as well I wanted to retrieve the 60day trial of MS Office so that I can make sure the program works with that. When I do the rewrite to Lazarus and Firebird I will rewrite the macro to use LibreOffice.

linw
15-11-2010, 11:08 PM
subinacl.exe may be worth a try http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en

Example of use:- subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f