PDA

View Full Version : ADSL modem + router separately.

Nomad
13-11-2010, 08:29 AM
Hi, I have a broken ADSL wireless router modem, which the modem function does not work, everything else does.

Question.
If I get this.
http://www.netcomm.com.au/netcomm-products/adsl-broadband/nb6

It has 1x USB and 1x RJ45.

Does it work with a USB printer? The website just says for people who does not have a ethernet port.

Can I connect this modem only device onto my current device (above).

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
13-11-2010, 08:30 AM
You should have added this, to the other 4-5 posts you've already posted about the same thing. I would have a read of the manual, to see if you can use the USB port for printers

Speedy Gonzales
13-11-2010, 08:48 AM
And it doesnt really matter whether a modem / router has a USB port or not. You can use a printer on a USB port, and share it

Nomad
13-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Thanks I was thinking about if I save a bit of hassle by not turning the other computer on. Ie., to print a document and needing to turn on 2 computers is abit over the top .. if could otherwise .... The computer attached to the printer is seldom used, it's a P3 laptop with broken screen, now with a CRT monitor. *My desktop x64 does not support the printer. *My fully functional laptop is the other one but that is normally in the lounge etc. Not a deal breaker thou.

Anyone know if I can attach the modem's RJ45 into the my current ADSL wireless router (which also has 4x RJ45). That would be appreciated :)

Speedy Gonzales
13-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Should work if you plug the RJ45 from whatever you have into this one. You'll probably have to forward ports or something tho. But if you get the Netcomm, (has it only got 1 port)?

Whats the brand/model of the printer?

Nomad
13-11-2010, 10:46 AM
The printer is a Canon Multifunction scanner/laser printer - MF5630.

Spent months on it before. It only works on x32 bit right up to Win7 but not x64.

I read the manual of that cheaper model Netcomm, the USB port is for hardware device driver install. It makes no mention of a printer.

I rang a shop up and ask, they said all in one units can be v hard or impossible to work with another unit.

From what I can see, it might be that Netcomm's $200 all in one unit does USB printer. The mid models is a all in one wireless unit but no USB. The sub $100 units are modem only with 1x RJ45 or a slightly more $$ 4xRJ45 - both without wireless. And, the USB might be just for modem func.

Might just go for a $170 unit eh ... at least, it's all in one unit and takes a less power sockets.

My broken one can be used as a wireless/wired router/switch by itself. Ie., copying files locally.

Off topic, OTOH, maybe if you have 2 network ports, 1 can be used for the modem and one can be used for the router. B/c when internet was down, I had my mobile phone connected, my laptop in the lounge could pick up the signal. Then again I rather not want 2 computer on just so the other can get online.

I'm just looking around now - a $80 NB6 series modem only and buy a separate wired/wireless switch - but that might be cost prohibitive.

Speedy Gonzales
13-11-2010, 11:03 AM
I would get another modem/wireless/router, if this is what you want (if you want wireless as well). And something with more than 1 port on it

Umm the link you gave is a modem/router right? But it doesnt have wireless?

From what I've read, trying to connect separate modems and routers isnt easy. You'll have to forward ports from one to the other just to get the 2 to play nicely.

I wouldnt mind a router with gigabit ports, (to save on the power cables), but they're not cheap. So, in the end I decided to use a GB switch, and plugged these 2 computers in it. And plugged a short ethernet cable from the switch to the router (since its only 10/100).

Nomad
13-11-2010, 11:15 AM
The link I gave has 1x USB and 1x RJ45. No wireless.

Yeah I had a look at Gigabit ones ... not much available but they are a bit $$ :)

Your GB method Speedy. Was it tricky? I mean you had a GB switch and then you had a separate modem/router.

Is there a difference between a router modem? In otherwords can you get a modem only and a modem with a router? If that makes sense at all.

Nomad
13-11-2010, 11:20 AM
You lose the hardware firewall but .. you could connect modem via USB and then have a that router via RJ45. That might work :D

Speedy Gonzales
13-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Piece of cake with the GB switch and the modem / router. The switch has 5 GB ports. The router has 4 ports (but has only got 10/100).

The NIC from this computer is plugged directly into the GB switch (so is the connected computer). Since both have GB NIC's on them. This lets us copy files across the network at GB speed (not 10/100 speed).

Then a short ethernet (1.0-1-5m or something), is plugged in from one of the GB ports to a port on the router. This is so both get onto the net. ie: Like the pic. Yup you can buy just a modem, or a modem and router in 1. A modem router may have more than 1 port on it. I wouldnt connect a modem with USB, its not reliable

And the speed as it shows in the 2nd pic

Nomad
13-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the info Speedy. I prob decide on something by Monday.

Either a all in one N-300 unit.
Or a cheaper modem RJ45 + a 1000BT switch + wireless.

Was your method simply just plug and play?

As average Joe, I tried to link my 2 modems up - didn't work :p

The good wireless modem, wireless was disabled.
I connected a patch cable to the broken one.
The broken one had ADSL disabled, but wireless enabled.

The laptop could connect to the wireless no problem but it couldn't get online :D

Speedy Gonzales
13-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Yup just plug the short cable in and plug the other cables into the switch. All go. The switch is just a switch nothing else. There's nothing in it to configure

Nomad
13-11-2010, 05:13 PM
I know some people like the Netcomm NB6 series, how are the NB14 series?

I also had a look at the wireless routers without a modem. Doesn't appear to be much available and back to the subjective question. Does it matter which brand it is and stuff?

Speedy Gonzales
13-11-2010, 05:17 PM
I've never used anything but the modem I'm using now. So, cant answer your 2nd question :p

Nuck Chorris
13-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Hi, I have a broken ADSL wireless router modem, which the modem function does not work, everything else does.

Question.
If I get this.
http://www.netcomm.com.au/netcomm-products/adsl-broadband/nb6

It has 1x USB and 1x RJ45.

Does it work with a USB printer? The website just says for people who does not have a ethernet port.
No, the USB port is a client port. Not a host port.
You can connect it as a client to a computer (instead of using the ethernet port). You can't connect a client device (printer) to it and use it as a host.

Can I connect this modem only device onto my current device (above).
No, it only has one ethernet port, and it is assigned as a private LAN port. Not a WAN port.

The only way to change that would be to modify the router's firmware, which you can pretty much forget.

Basically, you will need a new router + modem.
I prefer separate devices - all-in-ones tend to be jack of all trades. And if you want to upgrade one aspect, you throw away everything else.

For a relatively inexpensive but good router, there's the TP-Link WR1043ND - which can also run open source firmware (DD-WRT).
It's wireless N 300M, gigabit, and it also includes a USB host port which you can connect a printer to.

Chilling_Silence
13-11-2010, 08:00 PM
You really need to keep it all in one thread, it's impossible to keep track of your query, and they're all related. Try and keep in mind next time that people are already taking time to offer advice, and the less time they have to spend trying to figure out where you're at, what you've read, what you're after ... the more time people can spend on actually giving you sound advice.

Now the USB port on the 1-port router is for USB to your PC, not USB to a device such as a printer or Thumbdrive (As Nuck Chorris mentioned).

It's simple time to bite the bullet and buy yourself a new modem. Get an all-in-one to save yourself the hassle, and no there's very little difference between the NB6Plus4Wn as opposed to the NB14Wn or the NB6Plus4W. Just get whatever is the cheapest and in-stock.

Nomad
13-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Oh sweet, the NB14 is $40 or $50 lesser :D

Don't think we will get the Gigabit now. Don't really use wired enof.
Like many people, our house isn't wired up w/ category cables and the odd time, we just use a thumb drive or a portable hdd that might be 1x a month.

@ your notes about keeping threads together noted. i was probably impatient when my modem bombed out. i have did some research and choosing which router or which modem might be a subjective thing until we get to the corporate line. :)

Nomad
16-11-2010, 07:47 PM
The temp modem I was getting 11Mbit, now with the Netcomm I am only getting 6.5Mbit, what's going on? Just fluctuation at diff times?

Chilling_Silence
17-11-2010, 08:02 AM
What was your temporary modem? Whats your actual *sync* speeds, as that's what matters. The rest is likely congestion either at your exchange or by your ISP's backhaul / wholesaled data.

Nomad
17-11-2010, 09:29 AM
how do i find out the sync speed?
temp modem was a D-Link 2730B.

Chilling_Silence
17-11-2010, 09:58 AM
They're crap.

Sync speed is viewed in the modems WebGUI. It basically tells you how fast your router is connected to your Exchange / Cabinet at, it's the max possible throughput speed.

Who's your ISP? If you go to www.telecomwholesale.co.nz/maps and enter your address, what does it say? PM me your address if you want a hand working that out (Even if you give me your neighbours address or something if you're not comfortable).

Nomad
17-11-2010, 10:31 AM
2 modems here, Speedtest with the Wellington Citylink server - testing within a minute of each other.

Netcomm - 6.56Mbit
D-Link - 11.31Mbit.

Router GUI:
Netcomm:
SNR Margin downstream 26.0
Line Attenuation downstream 12.0
Data rate downstream 7671.

D-Link:
Downstream Line Rate (Kbps) 14259.
Upstream Line Rate (Kbps) 924.

Chilling_Silence
17-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Check the NetComm is setup to use ADSL2+?

Chilling_Silence
18-11-2010, 07:04 AM
I checked the address you sent me. Your exchange was upgraded in 2008 to ADSL2+, and it looks like you're relatively close to it to be getting 14m/bit on the D-Link. The fact the brand new NetComm is getting about half the speed would suggest it's not setup correctly or not negotiating the correct protocol to use, so force it to use ADSL2+.
You'll be getting cabinetized next month so your speeds may also increase a little. How are things internationally on Speedtest.net ?

Nomad
18-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Netcomm's setup:
Line state: Showtime
Modulation: ADSL2 PLUS
Annex mode: ANNEX_A

Speedtest.net international:
D-Link - Los Angeles I get 8.8Mbps this second.
Don't have access to the Netcomm anymore ..

Chilling_Silence
18-11-2010, 02:15 PM
So was it not a brand new NetComm? What was the full model number of it?

Nomad
18-11-2010, 02:22 PM
It was a brand new Netcomm I bought but I returned it within the "period".

It was a NetComm NB14WN ADSL2+ Modem/Router, Ethernet, 4xRJ-45 ports, 802.11b/g/n Wireless.

Here is a screenshot I grabbed before.

Nomad
18-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Someone at the household did mention there was sticky adhesive residue marks on the front of the router - where the LED lights were, so maybe it was a customer returned item. There was a adhesive sticker on the top of the router/modem though.

The store wouldn't do a swap and said either a return less a small restocking fee or that they will send it away for testing and then either give me a refund or swap if faulty or I'll have to keep it if they cannot fault it or if it is "merely incompatible". But because I spent since the weekend on dialup, I didn't want to prolong it anymore.

Chilling_Silence
18-11-2010, 03:21 PM
I'd check your rights under the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993, you'd be surprised what it covers ;)

If it looks like it was a return / refurb item, sold to you as a brand new item, I'd get a replacement.