PDA

View Full Version : DVDs Won't Play in HP Pavilion E drive

bellbird
13-11-2010, 07:28 AM
Windows XP SP3 HP Pavilion E drive HL-DT-ST-DVDRRWGWA-4166B
I can play and burn CD's Ok but have a problem with DVD's which started recently. Tried various DVD's eg PC World, dubbed DVD's from my Sony recorder, and games. There is no error message, the disks don't start spinning at all. The one disk that does play is from Big Fish Games which has some game demos, it autoplays immediately.
PC Doctor gave error codes DV523-1, 2 and 3. I may have changed the DVD Region in error at some point as the current region is 1 and there is only one alteration left. Are there some things I can work through to fix the problem. Thanks

wainuitech
13-11-2010, 08:14 AM
Sometimes older DVD drives wear out and some DVD's cant read correctly.DVD's are far more accurate than a CD, so CD's can handle wear better. If it reads CD's Ok then it may simply have worn out OR the laser/Lens needs a good clean.

It is also possible that some of the DVD's are region locked. meaning you have to have the correct region to play the DVD's.

If you are in NZ, then we are region 4 heres all the different regions (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=502554).

You only get 5 changes, so next time a region DVD is played, it will lock in that region.

Was there any software installed or removed, or any updates put in the the problem started ?

Speedy Gonzales
13-11-2010, 08:14 AM
Only things I can think of, are there any cd writing / emulation programs on the hdd? ie: Daemontools / any Roxio cd writing programs on the hdd??

Programs like these, can stuff the cd/dvd up. Or the dvd itself maybe stuffed.

Sounds like my stereo.

It can play anything (cd's I've burned, cd's I've brought, DVD's I've burned myself, but wont play DVD's I brought). Something is probably out of alignment

bellbird
13-11-2010, 08:52 AM
All of the dvds played ok before this problem. I wonder if first up I should try and set the DVD region to 4. I'll check my notes about updates etc. No Daemontools or Roxio programs.

bellbird
13-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Haven't got very far sorting out the problems. I tried to set the DVD Region to 4 for N.Z. but got "unable to update region setting, make sure drive contains a region 4 media (I used a disk from PC World mag) and you have admin priviliges (which I do of course)". Sometimes the drive spins and then it slows and spins up again. I ran the MS Fix It and afterwards the PC World disk opened but I couldn't select anything from it, and after ejecting and reinserting the disk it wouldn't open at all. I'll clean lens as suggested and I guess think about getting a tech. What is the best way to go about cleaning the lens. Hope I don't have to replace the drive, it hasn't had very much use. Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
13-11-2010, 11:54 AM
If you want to change it to Zone 4, you need a zone 4 dvd. Not a normal DVD (it doesnt have a zone on it)

bellbird
14-11-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm going to take the computer to the retailer for the dvd/cd drive to be checked. Would you believe that my extended warranted expired 9 days ago - hopefully there is some flexibility (or is that wishful thinking?)

wainuitech
14-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Extended warranties are NOT from the manufacture,eg: HP

They are a rip off that the store uses with some third party, normally some insurance company after the real manufactures warranty expires. Usually you have to jump through hoops to get it actioned, and being expired even by 9 days I would bet they would say no-go - its expired.

kahawai chaser
14-11-2010, 10:08 AM
What player are you using? MediaSmart? You could try HP's customer care trouble shooting site (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/siteHome?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&rule=13393&product=top), which also has a detection driver/serial no. feature on their huge site. Or enter model then go to solve a problem.

bellbird
14-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Speedy, you asked about Roxio - is this same as Sonic? Been looking at what is on my computer and it's just confusing to me. I have, Sonic Express Labeller, Sonic My DVD Plus, Sonic Record Now etc, Muvee AutoProducer, Intervideo Home theatre and Intervideo Win DVD Player which all came with the computer, never updated and which I don't use. I've installed ImgBurn and AnyVideo Converter. Are there programs there that I could maybe uninstall.
kawahai chaser, not sure what you mean by "what player" I seem to have so much stuff, not sure what is what. I have RealPlayer?? Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
14-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Depends what the program is called by Sonic (It maybe that Sonic record program).

Some of them are pretty similar to what some of the Roxio programs did (screw dvd's and cd's up). If you want, I could check the registry in XP, for some entries (that shouldn't be there).

With teamviewer (http://www.teamviewer.com). If you want me to check, install this then send the ID and password to me in a PM

PENTIUM
15-11-2010, 09:40 AM
I had a 3 years plus P C last week in the workshop that would play DVD [and owner reported that it could also record them] but did not read C Ds. It was easier to replace it at $60 than stuff around.

Speedy Gonzales
15-11-2010, 09:49 AM
I checked it out yesterday with teamviewer. Got the file to check the upper/lowerfilters entries. And the autofix file. Some dvds still didn't work (but some did, and an audio cd was recognised).

So, couldnt really tell whether the dvd itself, or the dvd disk was faulty (the one that didnt work). I also found a fw update for it, but since it needs a floppy (which it doesnt have). Or a blank CD. I didnt run the exe file. So, I said to replace the DVD

One thing, I did notice. The entry in device manager (that should be called IDE ATA / Atapi controllers, is called unknown). And the usual stuff is under it. I dont think it matters, since the DVD entry still appears in device manager and in my computer.

SoniKalien
15-11-2010, 11:31 AM
If it's intermittent that tells me it's a hardware problem :p

Speedy Gonzales
15-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Which may mean the dvdrom maybe stuffed. Probably wont find out, until its replaced

bellbird
16-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Big thanks to Speedy for all your help and patience. The dvd hasn't been used very much but I guess that's no guarantee that there isn't a hardware problem. I've been going thru various DVD disks and these play ok. Myst 4, Myst 5, Riddle of the Sphinx 11 and a Big Fish Games demo disk. These don't - the drive sometimes spins a little and then stops: PCWorld dvd's, anything I've dubbed on my Sony dvd player, Logitech install disk and Nobilis group game The Secrets of Atlantis. Could I have some advice about a replacement, where to buy (online, retailer?) and what would be suitable combo. The one I have is Lightscribe but I don't necessarily need Lightscribe. All I need from the dvd is to install some games, or software and maybe burn some disks. Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
16-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Do you know if the motherboard supports SATA?? That may also be an option.

There are also SATA burners with LS, if you want lightscribe

bellbird
16-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Thanks Speedy, iTunes ok now. I'll go thru' your previous suggestion about checking what type of ribbon so we'll know if it's SATA and as it involves getting into the computer I may be some time, lol

Speedy Gonzales
16-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Sweet !

bellbird
22-11-2010, 09:39 AM
Having checked and found it is an IDE connection I ordered a new (non Lightscribe this time) dvd/cd drive online and it should be here early this week. I removed the old drive at the same time. Is there anything I need to do before installing the new drive, eg was I supposed to uninstall anything. My computer details are in my first post. Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Nope nothing to uninstall. Just remove the old dvd install the new

bellbird
23-11-2010, 12:05 PM
I've installed the new drive, all good. :thanks Speedy and others who responded to my queries. Can't wait to try some dvd burning.

Speedy Gonzales
23-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Sweet good to hear !