PDA

View Full Version : What determines the 'rural' broadband zone?

jareemon
10-11-2010, 03:50 PM
I'm in an urban area, but my ISP says I cant get naked DSL unless I go on a rural plan... why is this?

Arnie
10-11-2010, 03:54 PM
No where to hide:eek:

SP8's
10-11-2010, 04:13 PM
The number of country blondes in the back yard ?? :devil

Chilling_Silence
10-11-2010, 04:25 PM
I believe it's something to do with < 1000 homes in the area.

See http://data.govt.nz under Infrastructure

Arnie
10-11-2010, 09:33 PM
I believe it's something to do with < 1000 homes in the area.

See http://data.govt.nz under Infrastructure

Probably the only sensible answer.:clap

Snorkbox
10-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Why not ask the ISP?

Chilling_Silence
11-11-2010, 06:14 AM
Coz half the time they're not even sure, at least the 1st level helpdesk possibly isn't ;)

Safari
11-11-2010, 06:47 AM
The price Telecom can charge customers will be different in rural areas with naked DSL Providing a service does cost more in a rural area and this is subsidised at present if you have an active phone number and the cost is the same whereever you are.
With naked DSL the same price policy does not apply and the extra cost reflectes the cost of maintaining rural lines

You might as well get normal BB with a phone line as there is not much difference in price compared to naked DSL

notechyet
11-11-2010, 07:04 AM
The price Telecom can charge customers will be different in rural areas with naked DSL Providing a service does cost more in a rural area and this is subsidised at present if you have an active phone number and the cost is the same whereever you are.
With naked DSL the same price policy does not apply and the extra cost reflectes the cost of maintaining rural lines

You might as well get normal BB with a phone line as there is not much difference in price compared to naked DSL

The lines are sometimes not as good due to distances and we pay more.
Perfect business and makes sense:eek:

jareemon
11-11-2010, 08:28 AM
There is a $30 difference.

Safari
11-11-2010, 08:36 AM
There is a $30 difference.

But when the power goes off and cell phones don't work you still have a working phone.

lakewoodlady
11-11-2010, 08:45 AM
I was on Xnet's ndsl up till June this year and changed to Slingshot because Xnet started charging $20 extra per month as I was deemed to be "rural". I am in a very
"urban" part of Taupo.
Slingshot says I am urban not rural. The Commerce Commission decides all these things apparently, but Slingshot doesn't go along with that idea. Who is your ISP?

LL