PDA

View Full Version : Animated Avatars

Gobe1
10-11-2010, 01:09 PM
How come we arent allowed these?
The size is no bigger than normal avatars

Renmoo
10-11-2010, 01:26 PM
They can give flicker-induced seizures if inappropriately used.

Jokes aside, good question.

Chilling_Silence
10-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Coz mostly people use pictures of Mario humping Peach, and static ones seem to suffice :)

Unless they add some additional "benefit" I'm not aware of, it's probably best to stick with static images for now :)

Gobe1
10-11-2010, 02:00 PM
hahaha really!!!, no problem
I tried to load my duke nukem nuclear symbol (you know the spinning one)

Pato
10-11-2010, 02:04 PM
They are not conducive to Migraines either.

Chilling_Silence
10-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Potentially, but you're able to disable avatars on your own account if you choose to do-so, so surely if you're aware you suffer from epilepsy or migraines that are set on by those things, if you frequent a forum it'd make sense to disable them.

Mostly, personally, I think it's because they add little value aside from the "Cool" factor, but it's then just something additional for us to police and have to worry about ;)

goodiesguy
10-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Animated avatars are a good idea, as long as they are not deliberately going against forum rules

SP8's
10-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Speedy would be so speedy we'd never see him :D

Pato
10-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Potentially, but you're able to disable avatars on your own account if you choose to do-so, so surely if you're aware you suffer from epilepsy or migraines that are set on by those things, if you frequent a forum it'd make sense to disable them.

Mostly, personally, I think it's because they add little value aside from the "Cool" factor, but it's then just something additional for us to police and have to worry about ;)Point taken; although it is difficult to read a post with a flashing light to the left of the Post, some of the Avatars are very good (yours for instance) so it is a pity to turn them off because of a few annoying ones.

Chilling_Silence
10-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Yeah, that's a good point, which is why most forums (Dunno about vBulletin) let you disable animated avatars only, as well as "all" avatars :)

SurferJoe46
10-11-2010, 04:30 PM

Mostly, personally, I think it's because they add little value aside from the "Cool" factor, but it's then just something additional for us to police and have to worry about ;)

Gads, Chill!

Sometimes I feel a migraine or a seizure coming on after just reading some of the posts here! lol.

(And I don't say: 'lol' very often.)

Let's not let the active avatars get started - and besides I think it was a band-width problem and some people are on dial-up and that the pages take too long to load now anyway.

And for all other reasons - can you even imagine the moving avatar that Metla would have?

I rest my case. *

* there is no 'lol' there.

Snorkbox
10-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Animated avatars are a good idea, as long as they are not deliberately going against forum rules

So what benefit would they give over and above static images then?

goodiesguy
10-11-2010, 05:28 PM
They would look more awesome and i would be able to use the animated version of my Current avatar

Snorkbox
10-11-2010, 07:56 PM
They would look more awesome and i would be able to use the animated version of my Current avatar

But then I may have to look at an animated Benny Hill.

I would prefer he remains dead.:cool:

goodiesguy
10-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Why would i have an animated benny hill?

I would rather have an animated avatar of the SLADE logo, that i currently have.

Snorkbox
10-11-2010, 11:20 PM
Why would i have an animated benny hill?

I would rather have an animated avatar of the SLADE logo, that i currently have.

It's only my opinion based on your previous posts regarding Benny Hill along with Yakkety Sax.

On the other hand Slade has not been mentioned often before by you.

goodiesguy
10-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Yakety Sax = Epic Win

Slade = Epic Win

ubergeek85
11-11-2010, 01:40 AM
It'd be nice if vBulletin had the option to disable animated avatars (showing static version instead), on a per-user basis, much like the disable all avatar option now.

Keeps both camps happy I guess.

Yes, I would make an animated avatar. No, it wouldn't be speedy's.

Ooooh, that's got me thinking, maybe I could cajoule siggy into doing avatars as well as sigs... maybe...

--Wolf--
11-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Imo avatars are just like post counts - pointless.

Do you come to these forums to see what pictures people have next to their names? No. I could understand on maybe a car forum, or picture sigs in a gaming forum, but not here.

Most animated ones are just old and not funny anymore. I do not want to see the humping stormtrooper more than I already have. OR the fat kid.

Chilling_Silence
11-11-2010, 12:33 PM
My thoughts exactly, though I feel that a static avatar can help to add easy recognition or "branding" to a persons posts.

tingle
11-11-2010, 01:01 PM
My thoughts exactly, though I feel that a static avatar can help to add easy recognition or "branding" to a persons posts.

Except when y'all have Speedy's pic/avatar!
:cool:

Snorkbox
11-11-2010, 02:39 PM
And does anyone remember the "Peel me" Ad and people rushing to install FF and Adblockers and scripts etc.

I would think that animated avatars would use at least that much bandwidth if all members decided they wanted one.

Trev
11-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Animated smileys are bad enough, let alone animated avatars.
:)

Chilling_Silence
11-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Animated smileys are bad enough, let alone animated avatars.
:)

:clap :banana :clap

Trev
11-11-2010, 07:13 PM
:sleep:crying::help:

goodiesguy
11-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Please Delete this, it was an error

goodiesguy
11-11-2010, 11:06 PM
:spam ?

--Wolf--