PDA

View Full Version : Cellphone roaming in Oz

Billy T
09-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Hi Team

I have a Samsung W531 dual mode CDMA/GSM phone that I have previously used to roam in Oz on a GSM network. It is not on a plan or prepaid, and usage is billed to our home phone account.

I haven't done anything to 'de-activate' roaming since I last used it in Oz, but I want to loan it to my daughter while she is over there for a week. So, I went to Telecom's website to check the details in case I had to set it up again, but the site tells me I can't roam and have to get an XT phone.

I'm thinking that this may simply be a Telecom ploy to move CDMA users to XT but does anybody know if the GSM network in Oz is still in operation and if so, whether it can still be roamed, or has anybody used one over there in recent times?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :help:

utopian201
09-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Are you sure it was roaming on a GSM network and not a CDMA network? Because I think (if i remember correctly), my parents used their CDMA phone to roam in Australia a few years ago, but recently they couldn't because Telstra have shut their CDMA network down.

Nomad
09-11-2010, 05:10 PM
If my memory serves me correctly. Telecom has pulled the plug re: roaming with CDMA. Because they are fading out CDMA, also within a few years CDMA won't be functional in NZ.

I guess that Telecom NZ only has CDMA or XT therefore at present Telecom NZ only has roaming agreement with their XT network. So .. if you are wanting GSM service you may need to have a chat to Vodafone or 2 Degrees.

If it is GSM, you might want to use 2 Degrees. I find it is cheaper, and with them you don't have to activate global roaming to use it. Vodafone AU don't have to either I think, but anywhere else you do have to and pay an application fee and a deposit I think (when I went to EU prior to 2Degree days) and they bill you back. 2 Degrees won't get a surprise bill b/c it's prepay, if there is no funds, you cannot make the call. .... but Vodafone prepay still invoice you and could get a nasty bill.

utopian201
09-11-2010, 05:37 PM
hhmm are you sure about the roaming?
I took my prepay vodafone to australia and I didn't have to do anything, nor did I get an invoice.

If you are going to australia, vodafone is cheaper than 2degrees; the calling rates in Au will be the same as it is in NZ, except it costs $1.00/min to receive a call and 80c to send a text, but only 79c/min to make a call within australia or to NZ.

Safari
09-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Vodafone prepay works great in Aussie. You don't have to do anything, just turn the phone on, pickup the network and away you go.
The cost is deducted from your prepay amount.
Costs are what utopian advised.

Billy T
09-11-2010, 05:57 PM
I got this phone because CDMA was closing in Oz and I go there to work from time to time. I was roaming on their GSM network.

Unless some interconnect agreement between Telecom in Oz and Telecom NZ has expired I can't see any reason why it shouldn't continue to roam in Oz. I've still got my NZ numbers programmed in with the necessary prefixes for use in Oz.

So the question remains, has anybody here roamed recently in Oz on a Telecom dual mode CDMA/GSM phone?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Safari
09-11-2010, 06:20 PM
The way I read this dual mode phones will not work on GSM anymore.
http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/cdma-roaming-officially-killed-today-data-death-looms-132231

paulw
09-11-2010, 06:59 PM
If you unlock this fone and put a normal GSM SIM (not Voda NZ) into it it will work fine in Ozz. I used one there last year on 2D. Voda NZ seems to have blocked these fones from their NZ network. They come up "Emergency Only"

PinoyKiw
09-11-2010, 07:30 PM
A cheap kiwi vodafone or 2 degree's will work ok in OZ, no issue's. Cannot comment on the CDMA phone though. I carry my kiwi vodafone's and 2 degree's phone into Oz all the time.

Might be the easiest way if you want your daughter to have phone contact with home.

Nomad
09-11-2010, 07:55 PM
hhmm are you sure about the roaming?
I took my prepay vodafone to australia and I didn't have to do anything, nor did I get an invoice.

If you are going to australia, vodafone is cheaper than 2degrees; the calling rates in Au will be the same as it is in NZ, except it costs $1.00/min to receive a call and 80c to send a text, but only 79c/min to make a call within australia or to NZ.

Aussie works okay with NZ Voda prepay fine I think but if you are looking at further countries abroad they make you sign an application form and provide something such as a credit card number, they also bill you on your return. If you are a on-contract customer then those paper work are done when you joined them.

2 Degrees don't need that, so you can go to Europe and just use your prepay balance.

Safari
09-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Aussie works okay with NZ Voda prepay fine I think but if you are looking at further countries abroad they make you sign an application form and provide something such as a credit card number, they also bill you on your return. If you are a on-contract customer then those paper work are done when you joined them.

2 Degrees don't need that, so you can go to Europe and just use your prepay balance.

There are a number of countries such a Aussie UK USA Japan India China that you can use with prepay without providing details for later billing

Nomad
09-11-2010, 09:30 PM
When I told Vodafone about London and Paris I was asked to fill out an application form and pay the $10 (?). Unless they changed that since 06.

Billy T
09-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Well it looks like I'll keep my phone at home then. I'm not really surprised that it is written off for Oz. I'll have to get a new phone anyway in due course and there should be some good specials going at changeover time.

I wanted to stay on CDMA as long as possible as the transmissions are far less invasive than TDMA, which is more likely to fry your brain and the call quality on incoming Vodafone is dreadful.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

B.M.
10-11-2010, 06:17 AM
When I was in Aus last May I purchased (on special) a beaut little Motorola with FM Radio for $20, complete with Sim Card and $10 worth of credit.

Only trick is get the shop to activate it as youíll use up your $10 credit and more trying to do it yourself. You get charged while you wait for service! ;)

Iíve actually got five phones now, all el-cheapoís, and depending where Iím going depends which one I take. :)

paulw
10-11-2010, 08:32 AM
Well it looks like I'll keep my phone at home then. I'm not really surprised that it is written off for Oz. I'll have to get a new phone anyway in due course and there should be some good specials going at changeover time.

I wanted to stay on CDMA as long as possible as the transmissions are far less invasive than TDMA, which is more likely to fry your brain and the call quality on incoming Vodafone is dreadful.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Then why not do a search on unlocking the W531 and use that over there..??