PDA

View Full Version : PDF Add-On?

B.M.
09-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Anyone know of an add-on for Microsoft Office 2002 that will allow you to save files in PDF format? :thanks

Gobe1
09-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Not an add on only print to pdf
bullzip

Speedy Gonzales
09-11-2010, 03:43 PM
No. Not unless you install Office 2007

ronyville
09-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Cute PDF (http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp) will do the trick. Its not an add-on but a small install file. After installing the software and converter, open up word or excel and click on print, choose cute pdf writer as the printer and it will let you save the document in a pdf format. You can even save web pages as pdfs.

gary67
09-11-2010, 04:44 PM
+1 for Bullzip and cute PDF both work the same way by installing as a printer but saving as a PDF

Paul.Cov
09-11-2010, 05:10 PM
PDF995 as well - creates a PDF file by 'printing' the document through their software. The software pretends to exist as a printer, but outputs a PDF file.

Free.

SoniKalien
09-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Open Office exports to PDF :)

B.M.
09-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks Guys. :thanks

This is interesting.

The original Word Document was 11.1meg.

The “Cute” PDF of the same document was 12.4 meg

The “Nitro” PDF of the same document was 18.6meg. :eek:

I thought PDF’s were supposed to be smaller? :confused:

I’ll investigate the others mentioned, but there’s something not making sense here, well not to me anyway. :D

Snorkbox
09-11-2010, 07:42 PM

Is Open Office an add on for Word 2002?

ronyville
09-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Is Open Office an add on for Word 2002?

nope... its a free office suite.

B.M.
09-11-2010, 07:49 PM
I do have open office and quite like it.

I'll see what happens if I use that and get back. ;)

Snorkbox
09-11-2010, 07:50 PM
I thought so. So it's not what was asked for is it?

B.M.
09-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Ok, I opened the Word Document with Open Office and exported it as a pdf.

Went well, looks good, and now down to 8.47meg. :thumbs:

Hmmmm, don’t know what you guys think, but it looks to me like the Open Office conversion is the way to go? :confused:

Anyone else feel like doing a similar experiment to confirm my findings? :D

Snorkbox
09-11-2010, 08:07 PM
So you are only worried about the size of the final document then rather than how it renders?

SoniKalien
09-11-2010, 08:20 PM
I thought so. So it's not what was asked for is it?

Is that a problem? Suggesting alternatives? :rolleyes:

Snorkbox
09-11-2010, 08:22 PM
So if you would explain your testing procedures I might give it a go.

The original post was an add on to convert Word 2002 to PDF and several replies were given and all would work.

Then you moaned about the file size produced by converting the Word doc to PDF.

Did you retype the original in Open Office and then save as PDF? If so you can type faster than I've ever seen for a 11.1 meg doc. :)

Snorkbox
09-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Is that a problem? Suggesting alternatives? :rolleyes:

No. But if you don't have OO or want it then it's not a viable alternative.

B.M.
09-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Well, the size of the file is a primary consideration, (E-Mailing purposes) but not if there is noticeable deterioration in quality.

So far I have two conversions that are larger than the original, one significantly, and another that is significantly smaller and I can’t find any difference between any of them. :confused:

SoniKalien
09-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Snork - are you just having a bad day then? Do you need a hug? :p

Snorkbox
09-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Well, the size of the file is a primary consideration, (E-Mailing purposes) but not if there is noticeable deterioration in quality.

So far I have two conversions that are larger than the original, one significantly, and another that is significantly smaller and I can’t find any difference between any of them. :confused:

OK. But then you can always try file compression if you want a smaller file can't you?

Snorkbox
09-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Snork - are you just having a bad day then? Do you need a hug? :p

I had a hug, or better even this afternoon.:blush:

B.M.
09-11-2010, 08:38 PM
So if you would explain your testing procedures I might give it a go.

The original post was an add on to convert Word 2002 to PDF and several replies were given and all would work.

Then you moaned about the file size produced by converting the Word doc to PDF.

Did you retype the original in Open Office and then save as PDF? If so you can type faster than I've ever seen for a 11.1 meg doc. :)

Well the testing format is quit simple.

Take any “Word Document”, the bigger the better and convert it to pdf format using the programmes of you choice.

I was under the impression that pdf format was smaller in size than doc format but in a couple of cases it seems not.

I wasn’t moaning about anything, I was simply surprised that the document once converted to pdf would be bigger than the original. :confused:

As far as the Open Office part of the experiment goes I simply opened the Word Document with Open Office and exported it to pdf. There certainly wasn’t any typing. :D

b....
09-11-2010, 08:57 PM
I use PDFCreator.
All the Word Docs I have used it on are reduced in size, some by a large amount.
I don't have any of the size you have, but I just tried it on a 832KB file and result was 145KB.

johnd
09-11-2010, 09:57 PM
To me it is not too surprising if a PDF ends up larger than the original file since (as I understand it), a PDF is an image of the page.

SoniKalien
09-11-2010, 10:24 PM
yea, nah PDFs are way over rated

johnd
09-11-2010, 10:31 PM
yea, nah PDFs are way over rated

Not really - it is universal and portable!

SoniKalien
09-11-2010, 11:01 PM
so is HTML...

zqwerty
09-11-2010, 11:20 PM
There are many setting that can be adjusted to produce a small file size of the pdf.

B.M.
10-11-2010, 06:01 AM
I use PDFCreator.
All the Word Docs I have used it on are reduced in size, some by a large amount.
I don't have any of the size you have, but I just tried it on a 832KB file and result was 145KB.

Well, those are the results I was expecting so I downloaded PDF Creator and stone the crows it reduced the 11.1 meg Word file down to 2.97 meg’s with no noticeable deterioration in quality. :eek:

Beats me, now we have a 11.1 meg document ranging anywhere between 18.6 meg and 2.97meg when saved as a PDF, with no noticeable change in quality. :confused:

I must try them all on an XL Spreadsheet and see what happens there.

In the meantime PDF Creator definitely looks like a keeper. :thumbs:

Thanks b.... :thumbs:

waldok
10-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Hi B.M., what sort of things are in the Word file? The results you're getting are probably because the different PDF programs are treating the content differently. For example if you have images in there, the compression quality could make a huge difference.

If there are images you could try compressing them first in Word, before you do the PDF:
- right click on the picture
- select Format Picture from the menu.
- select the Picture tab
- click the Compress button

cheers
W

B.M.
11-11-2010, 07:17 AM
Hi B.M., what sort of things are in the Word file? The results you're getting are probably because the different PDF programs are treating the content differently. For example if you have images in there, the compression quality could make a huge difference.

If there are images you could try compressing them first in Word, before you do the PDF:
- right click on the picture
- select Format Picture from the menu.
- select the Picture tab
- click the Compress button

cheers
W

Ahhhh, I see.

Yes, the Word Document in question contains a large number of Wedding Photo’s so your explanation is probably right on the button waldok. :thumbs:

I didn’t realise that the way various PDF converters worked varied. :blush:

This can become important when the size of the document is governed by the size of the recipients mail box. (E-Mail)

My experiment with an XL Spreadsheet has so far been an epic failure regardless of which programme used. None appear capable of keeping all the columns on one page, on that page, and some are rolled over onto another page which in turn makes the whole thing a dog’s breakfast. I haven’t had a chance to see if any have “Fit to Page” facilities yet.

Anyway, the whole exercise has been highly educational, for me anyway. :D

:thanks everyone for your input.

B.M.
11-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Further to above.

As an experiment I took three photo’s of 1.44 meg 1.8 meg and 1.82 meg (5.06 meg) and inserted them into a Word Document.

The Document size was 5.12 meg.

I then compressed all the photos as described by waldok, but unfortunately the file size remained the same, although I think there may have been a small loss of quality?

I then created a PDF with PDF Creator and the file size was dropped to 1.92 meg with what I believe was a small "improvement" in quality. :confused:

So, in the end I can’t understand why the built in compression facility within Word made not a scrap of difference (maybe it isn’t working?) but PDF Creator did a very good job. :thumbs:

Anyway, it’s all been an interesting exercise, for me anyway. :D

Gobe1
11-11-2010, 09:02 AM

I didnt know that , thanks