06-11-2010, 04:31 PM
:rolleyes:

pcuser42
06-11-2010, 04:41 PM
:D

B.M.
06-11-2010, 04:42 PM
The best ISP I’ve ever been with.

No Spam – Good Rates – Good Speed (if your lines are up to it) - They roll over unused data – Their Help desk is excellent and speak English. (I think it’s in Omarau?)

Another plus is there are other real savings available if you have your power and telephone with them as well.

10/10 from me.

--Wolf--
06-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Isp or Xbox thing?

goodiesguy
06-11-2010, 04:51 PM
We are now with Kinect on "Unlimited" which means No cap, and full speed up and down.

It's far better than TelstraClear and we actually get good Upload speeds now.

Metla
06-11-2010, 04:53 PM
HA.

I did not know they were an ISP.

Metla
06-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Can a mod reword it to say Xbox Kinect?

Speedy Gonzales
06-11-2010, 05:45 PM
I'll be getting it once I've got the money

8ftmetalhaed
06-11-2010, 06:01 PM
DANCE MASTERS HELL YEAH.

Other than that, meh. 220 dollar video camera, I'll get it when there's a decent show of games for it.

wainuitech
06-11-2010, 06:14 PM
We are now with Kinect on "Unlimited" which means No cap, and full speed up and down.

It's far better than TelstraClear and we actually get good Upload speeds now. What sort of Speeds ? A lot depends on your plans.

As for Kinect Xbox ------- NOPE

goodiesguy
06-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Our Download speed is slightly faster than the speed we were getting with telstra. our upload speed is way better.

with telstra clear, a 30MB video would take 30minutes to upload.
Now they upload within a matter of minutes.

wainuitech
06-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Our Download speed is slightly faster than the speed we were getting with telstra. our upload speed is way better.

with telstra clear, a 30MB video would take 30minutes to upload.
Now they upload within a matter of minutes. Thats not an answer. Figures ? Again, download/upload speeds depend on your plan.

The Error Guy
06-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Isp or Xbox thing?

Was thinking the same thing, kinect (ISP) should sue kinect (microsoft) over trademark infringement. everyones suing everyone this year.

wainuitech
06-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Poor Sue -- Whats she done to deserve that. :D

Cicero
07-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Poor Sue -- Whats she done to deserve that. :D

If you look behind the bike shed, you will find out;)

ticktock
07-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Very good. Based in Tauranga but Otago queries answered from Oamaru. Staff answers the phone quickly and are very helpful. Cheap rates and unused internet is transferred to next month.

Siobhan Keogh
09-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Having tried it, I wouldn't buy it because it's more for the casual gamer--the kind of thing you bust out when you're drinking with some friends. It's pretty cool though.

roddy_boy
09-11-2010, 11:30 AM
I have no idea what is going on in this thread.

Chilling_Silence
09-11-2010, 11:36 AM
I have no idea what is going on in this thread.

Nobody does, that's why we're all posting just whatever comes to mind :D

Chemical Ali
09-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Pored over reviews for this thing as I've been deliberating long and hard about whether to get it at launch or not. Or even go for the PS3 with Move. Ironically I also have a Wii that isn't used alot anymore as well.

Must have read about 20 reviews in the last week that have been published since its North American launch on November 4. It certainly doesnt appear to be the wunder motion gaming platform that it's been touted by Microsoft as being (at this point in time anyway) but the potential is obviously there.

Several reviewers have commented on the simplified nature of launch titles and minor lag issues - in Joy Ride for example you can't brake or accelerate because you have no wand with buttons - all you can do is steer with your hands. There's even speculation that Microsoft will end up adding a handheld controller/wand to it to widen the interaction with the game.

Menu navigation via hand signals and/or voice recognition is also (apparently) a mixed bag The amount of floor space that you need to properly use it as also been commented on.

I have one paid up on pre-order and will get it but I'm a little disappointed that it appears to be an "immature" product (in terms of the technology and capability) at launch.

The potential looks fantastic but how long it takes to reach that potential and whether Microsoft will wholeheartedly support it for that long is a vexed issue.

Metla
09-11-2010, 05:45 PM
I have also read through a dozen or so reviews.

I think my kids will love it, and the wife asked for a wii (just for wii fit) I say hell no to that, But the fitness program for Kinect looks pretty damn good.

Think I may buy as the "family gift" this Christmas.

The Error Guy
09-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Well, now its been "hacked" and drivers for PC are available, ill be cranking it!

Speedy Gonzales
09-11-2010, 06:24 PM
I wouldnt say its been hacked. It only moves the motor / moves it up and down / round, and nothing else

gary67
09-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Pored over reviews for this thing as I've been deliberating long and hard about whether to get it at launch or not. Or even go for the PS3 with Move. Ironically I also have a Wii that isn't used alot anymore as well.

Must have read about 20 reviews in the last week that have been published since its North American launch on November 4. It certainly doesnt appear to be the wunder motion gaming platform that it's been touted by Microsoft as being (at this point in time anyway) but the potential is obviously there.

Several reviewers have commented on the simplified nature of launch titles and minor lag issues - in Joy Ride for example you can't brake or accelerate because you have no wand with buttons - all you can do is steer with your hands. There's even speculation that Microsoft will end up adding a handheld controller/wand to it to widen the interaction with the game.

Menu navigation via hand signals and/or voice recognition is also (apparently) a mixed bag The amount of floor space that you need to properly use it as also been commented on.

I have one paid up on pre-order and will get it but I'm a little disappointed that it appears to be an "immature" product (in terms of the technology and capability) at launch.

The potential looks fantastic but how long it takes to reach that potential and whether Microsoft will wholeheartedly support it for that long is a vexed issue.

So this version is like Vista and MS will get it right with the next version of the Kinect?

The Error Guy
09-11-2010, 06:42 PM
I wouldnt say its been hacked. It only moves the motor / moves it up and down / round, and nothing else

ach, the person who told me said they got the whole thing working for PC and written mouse drivers ect. :annoyed: sigh. ill wait and finish my current projects instead of starting new ones.

Chilling_Silence
09-11-2010, 07:07 PM
They were mis-informed then ;)

It's a very much work-in-progress, but good progress nonetheless.

Metla
25-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Tried one in the store last weekend,it was great fun, both my kids loved it.

Its going to make an excellent Christmas gift.

pcuser42
25-11-2010, 07:37 PM
My brother bought an Xbox 360 S with Kinect and was intending to use it as often as possible, but of course Black Ops doesn't support it :rolleyes:

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Only the newer games that came out with it work with Kinect

Metla
25-11-2010, 08:31 PM
My brother bought an Xbox 360 S with Kinect and was intending to use it as often as possible, but of course Black Ops doesn't support it :rolleyes:

He sounds like a weapon, You should give him your credit card and send him into town to get heaps of awesome stuff.

Though those games will rock when they are built around Kinect.

pcuser42
25-11-2010, 09:09 PM
He sounds like a weapon, You should give him your credit card and send him into town to get heaps of awesome stuff.

Though those games will rock when they are built around Kinect.

If I gave him my debit card he'd be lucky to get lunch, let alone a game :p

:pf1mobmini:

MAC_H8ER
25-11-2010, 09:17 PM
im quite interested on getting one - but not for a long time - both cars of mine need a lot of cash draining work - so after that's all sorted ill have a look - by them more games and whatnot should be out?

ubergeek85
26-11-2010, 12:18 AM

It's a bit further along than that. Ladyada had that in a tutorial on interfacing with USB, using the kinect as an example, but other than that, people are already getting good 3d data out of it. See http://hackaday.com/?s=kinect

somebody
25-12-2010, 06:53 PM
So did anyone end up getting one (Metla/Chemical Ali)??

Metla
25-12-2010, 07:52 PM
The Kinect proved to be a massive success at the Metla household Xmas celebration.

somebody
26-12-2010, 08:57 AM
The Kinect proved to be a massive success at the Metla household Xmas celebration.

I caved and bought one this morning. I must say, I'm very impressed.

CYaBro
26-12-2010, 11:04 AM
I caved and bought one this morning. I must say, I'm very impressed.

How much did it cost?

I want to buy one too and already have the Xbox so don't need the full bundle pack that I have seen advertised.

somebody
26-12-2010, 11:08 AM
How much did it cost?

I want to buy one too and already have the Xbox so don't need the full bundle pack that I have seen advertised.

I didn't have an Xbox so got the $389 Xbox + Kinect bundle from The Warehouse. It includes the Kinect Adventures game which gives you some nice party games.

Speedy Gonzales
26-12-2010, 12:38 PM
The kinect by itself is $210-219. Depending on where you buy it. Only diff is, it needs power. Whereas the kinect bundled with the 360 S doesnt. Dont know if if its worth getting the 4 GB Xbox, which is cheaper. Buit dont know where you get the hdd, if you wanted to use one. Instead of the 4 GB

8ftmetalhaed
26-12-2010, 01:02 PM
4gb of memory really doesn't cut it for any high level of gaming, but fortunately you can use flash/ext hd drives as storage now too.
Not sure if it lets you install games onto them though, which is where the primary wastage of space comes from. I have the old 60gb pro, and I have to continually chop and change what games I have installed. Pretty much the ones I play most at any time are the ones installed. Given that games go from 4 to 7gb in size, the space on your poor harddrive can go really fast, especially when combined with stuff like downloadable content and music and whatever else.

As for where to get a harddrive, http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Xbox-360/250GB-Hard-Drive-For-XBOX-360-Slim-Only/9453152/

Speedy Gonzales
26-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Yup just found that link myself. Probably be better going for the $485 Xbox at the warehouse (which comes with the 250 GB). Theyre pretty much around the same price. Except it doesnt inc the Kinect.

I could just buy the kinect when I have the money, but then I've got no spare power points. Probably be better getting the new one, and save me the trouble

I'll probably get a LCD tv with freeview, (thats got 3-4 HDMI ports first). Save me the trouble of swapping the HDMI cable around all the time. And chuck the 2 old TV's out

And give this 22' to the flatmate so she can use it

somebody
26-12-2010, 01:33 PM
The kinect by itself is $210-219. Depending on where you buy it. Only diff is, it needs power. Whereas the kinect bundled with the 360 S doesnt. Dont know if if its worth getting the 4 GB Xbox, which is cheaper. Buit dont know where you get the hdd, if you wanted to use one. Instead of the 4 GB

That's not correct Speedy. The standalone Kinect still has the new plug - so if you already have a new Xbox 360 (360 S) you can just use it as-is. If you have an old Xbox, there is an adaptor which is included with the standalone Kinect which includes a USB cable and power adaptor. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3htpIwcpcnQ

Unfortunately the bundles don't seem to include that adaptor, which means I can't plug my Kinect into my PC :(

On another note, if anyone has one of those adaptors which they don't want, please PM me.

Tukapa
03-01-2011, 07:03 AM
Bought one yesterday with the EA Sports Active 2.

Got home, threw in the workout disc, set the workout to hard (I mean how hard can it be right?), then proceeded to almost kill myself over a 35 minute workout.

Definitely need some sort of washable plastic cover for the floor!!!

As an aside - Disc Smith have the kinect sensor for $160 (special finishes today) and Noel Leeming/Bond and Bond have the EA game for $129 ($179
RRP) so ended up saving $120 by shopping around!

Works well - I could just do with a bit more floor space in my media room.

8ftmetalhaed
03-01-2011, 07:27 AM
Just a major point to make for anyone buying these consoles, especially those of you with children - They still haven't fixed the issue where moving the xbox while it's on scratches discs. So if you move it, wave bubbye to your shiny $100 kinect games.

GameJunkie
03-01-2011, 08:13 AM
Dick smith all sold out :(

Tukapa
03-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Shows as sold out online but if you go into a store they will do a customer order for you at the special price.

somebody
03-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Has anyone noticed that the IR projector is a bit distracting? I.e. you can see red patterns, similar to what you see in some barcode readers, being emitted through the lens on the left hand side of the unit?

Chilling_Silence
05-01-2011, 08:06 AM
Played with a mates for half an hour over the weekend. Compared Table Tennis to the likes of the Wii Sports Resort. At least in Wii Sports Resort you don't have the half-second + delay. Relatively accurate, though I found it wasn't as spot-on as the Wii or Move. Graphics definitely sexier, definitely has more of a "fun" feel to it. Still has a bit of a way to go though ... I'd rather do Sports on the Wii for now, personally.

Playstation Move is basically the Wii with better graphics and funky glowing balls on the ends of the remotes, nothing special there, no more accurate I found either.