PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone STILL like flying Qantas

WalOne
06-11-2010, 06:55 AM
BAD: 2nd Qantas engine problem in 2 days ...

BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11702365)

GOOD: At least the flight crew get real hands-on experience in handling real emergencies. Their competence and skill says something for their professionalism.

PinoyKiw
06-11-2010, 07:38 AM
They are just having a run of bad luck..............

I have several bookings for various Qantas flights next week.

Would rather fly with QF than some other airlines I have had the *pleasure* of flying with over the years.

Marnie
06-11-2010, 08:59 AM
BAD: 2nd Qantas engine problem in 2 days ...

BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11702365)

GOOD: At least the flight crew get real hands-on experience in handling real emergencies. Their competence and skill says something for their professionalism.

I have always thought their ground and air staff were good.
Although I decided after several flights, that I really prefer that little bit of extra room between the seat rows that Qantas doesn't seem to provide in economy.
Ever travelled long haul in a window seat with two burly guys between you and the aisle?

PinoyKiw
06-11-2010, 09:11 AM
I really prefer that little bit of extra room between the seat rows that Qantas doesn't seem to provide in economy.
Ever travelled long haul in a window seat with two burly guys between you and the aisle?

Ever tried Jetstar on a long haul flight...........I came off a very late running Qantas one morning, Qantas had earlier given me the choice of getting a QF flight in the afternoon or a earlier JQ flight and since I really needed to be somewhere, my time table over ruled my better judgement and I took the more cramped Jetstar option.

The Error Guy
06-11-2010, 10:11 AM
by looking at pictures It seems that it's damage to the compressor section, or in the augmenter debris have blown upwards blowing off the rear engine cowling and tearing the wing just behind the leading edge. probably damaged the throttle cables as No. 4 engine apparently failed to shut down upon landing. Either turbine blades broke up or the compressor wall fractured and the pressure ripped the hole open.

Doubt it's a Quantas problem, those jets are pretty new, its probably a manufacturing/design fault with rolls in their 900 series jet engine.

Flying is still green light for me, looks like its getting more interesting

SP8's
06-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Don't know what all the fuss is about ... the damn things have got 4 engines for a reason ... they can loose two and still fly .... granted around in circles if they are both on the same side :D .... and if one goes on fire they can extinguish it or jettison it .... no wuckin furries :D

I love it when they say an Orion has made an emergency landing with one engine out .... when they're doing long distance search and rescue they only use two for economy .. the other two are feathered.

Safari
06-11-2010, 11:54 AM
by looking at pictures It seems that it's damage to the compressor section, or in the augmenter debris have blown upwards blowing off the rear engine cowling and tearing the wing just behind the leading edge. probably damaged the throttle cables as No. 4 engine apparently failed to shut down upon landing. Either turbine blades broke up or the compressor wall fractured and the pressure ripped the hole open.

Doubt it's a Quantas problem, those jets are pretty new, its probably a manufacturing/design fault with rolls in their 900 series jet engine.

Flying is still green light for me, looks like its getting more interesting

It is more likely to be a complete turbine disk failure as turbine blade failures don't cause that amount of damage.
It was No 1 engine that could not be shutdown by the way as No 4 is on the other side of the aircraft.