View Full Version : recover saved over office doc

rawkus1020
05-11-2010, 04:37 PM
how to i get back a previous version of a office doc
they saved over the doc with a blank doc
they are using XP sp3 and office 2007

wainuitech
05-11-2010, 06:32 PM
I gather theres no backups ? if there is then use one of them.

Paul.Cov
05-11-2010, 07:16 PM
If you're lucky there may be a chance that the original file has been treated as a deleted file and is hidden from your view in an intack state (which you may be able to undelete with specific software - it probably won't have a file name you will recognise however).
If you're unlucky it's been overwritten and it's toast.

The more you use the computer, the more likely it becomes that the data block holding the original file is going to be overwritten.

DOS may be the only safe environment for the file rescue process.

wainuitech
05-11-2010, 07:32 PM
If reasonably certain by default word 2007 does auto backups.

Have a read of This article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827099) - take note of method 2 onwards.

Since the actual document wasn't deleted, just saved over, hopefully the backup was created.

To show the hidden folder you will have to go to tools/ Folder options/ View tab - and select " show hidden folders.

Billy T
05-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Last year I accidentally screwed a major 30 page Word document (no idea how) and when I looked for the autosaved copy, it wasn't there.

The data was on a separate drive from my OS, and the file represented weeks of work, so I stopped all other activity on the computer and using ZTree I did a key-word search for specific names and terms used in the lost document. This found quite a number of temporary files scattered around both my D drive and my C, in various stages of completion. I saved them all in file date order to a new folder, then reconstructed pretty much all but the last page or so of the document by copying and pasting paragraphs & sentences. It took a few hours, but far less time than trying to rewrite it, which would have been virtually impossible anyway.

If you have a similar program that can view the content of any file type then this type of system might work as there will almost certainly be residual data lying around on your HDD. However, the problem with ZTree is that it is DOS based, though it runs in a window, and you have to be familiar with basic DOS file management to do the searches. ZTree is a modern 32-bit ground-up rewrite of 16-bit XTree Gold. I couldn't work without it, it has so many functions that cannot be found in any other program. I rarely need it, but when I do, nothing else would suffice.

These days I make progress copies for all important reports and store them off the main disk.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

wainuitech
06-11-2010, 09:09 AM
These days I make progress copies for all important reports and store them off the main disk.
:thumbs: Once bitten, Twice shy ;)

SP8's
06-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Last year I accidentally screwed a major 30 page Word document (no idea how)

The secretary with the miniskirt had nothing to with ..... eh Billy ..... :D