PDA

View Full Version : Network 10/100mbps???

15-09-2001, 07:25 PM
Hi.

I have 2 new 10/100mbps ethernet cards, and im not sure my network is running at 100, (its only a 2 computer network) which is what I want. Is there anyway to know? I dont have 10/100 lights on the back of the cards, and there is no software with the driver disks. are there any diagnostic programs around?

Thanks in advance

15-09-2001, 11:45 PM
If it has a link speed option (accessable thru Network control panel) you could set it to connect only at 100mbs.

As for checking it, all I can think of is a speed test by transfering a file.
System Monitor can tell you.
If its over 1.25MBs then its using 100mbs (assuming there is no compression involved).

16-09-2001, 10:38 AM
The speed can be tested with a program called Sisoft Sandra which you can get at
http://www.sisoftware.demon.co.uk/ Its shareware but if I remember correctly the network testing tool in Sandra is working in the shareware version so you should be able to test it.

As to the speed the cards are setting themselves at you can find that info by going to the Network applet in the control panel then have a look at the properties for the card in the list in the network applet. On one of the Tabs of the properties for the cards you will find a setting called 'Media' and if you highlight it the speed will be shown. It may be set to 'default' for each card so try setting the 'Media' setting to 100mb full duplex for both cards then reboot and check that this seting has remained set at that speed. If it has not try setting 'Media' at 100mb half-duplex and see if that stays set.

17-09-2001, 06:29 PM
Thank you for your help guys.

One last one. Your saying anything over 1.25 meg/sec is 100mbps card?? using system monitor? I honestly thought that it was about 8meg a sec that I was aiming for! that clears everything up then.

Thanx for your time
>karz