PDA

View Full Version : To work or not to work

gary67
04-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Well got called into the office today at work by the boss (I have been working half days on light duties since my shoulder started screwing up again) to be told their are no more light duties so not to come in tomorrow although they will hold my job open for a month just encase it gets better. So I am joining the ranks of the non working brigade for a while.

Renmoo
04-11-2010, 07:18 PM
I haven't actually looked at another / other thread(s) that you started last week, but how is your hunting for non-manual jobs going so far?

Scouse
04-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Hi Gary. Based on a messy layoff/sacking/resignation of one of my daughters..... be very clear as to the circumstances of the works-end. It appeared to matter a lot to the Work and Income people as to whether you leave of your own volition or you are layed off... As I say, it was a messy affair which cost several weeks' payout.

somebody
04-11-2010, 07:27 PM
See if you can find _something_ - I know I'd be bored to death if I was unemployed.

gary67
04-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Still looking but things are pretty quite in Nelson. Thanks for the warning Scouse, should be OK SWMBO is good at handling this sort of thing. Yes I will be bored but also have to be realistic as to what I can and cannot do just at the moment

SP8's
04-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Read this Gary ... ACC will pay the cost of your dope ..... just lay back and get stoned off your face by 8am :D

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/8254719/nz-patients-cleared-to-get-medicinal-cannabis/

Metla
04-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Just let the misery of the situation start to lift and start making new plans. That's the first step in any situation, a plan, give yourself a direction to take, onwards and upwards.

Paul.Cov
04-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Read this Gary ... ACC will pay the cost of your dope ..... just lay back and get stoned off your face by 8am :D

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/8254719/nz-patients-cleared-to-get-medicinal-cannabis/

Seriously, I've had numerous clients stress to me the efficacy of cannabis for pain relief (typically pain of spinal origin).

They've got nothing to gain in telling me this, so why should I doubt their sincerity?

Reportedly a few puffs can give many hours of relief.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that if you can get away with discrete use to relieve chronic pain, then do so, as long as it doesn't become habitual or associated with times when you need to have all your faculties... like driving.

Snorkbox
04-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Just in case gary67

http://www.ers.dol.govt.nz/problem/authority/

Could be considered dismissal maybe. Or not.

gary67
05-11-2010, 08:21 AM
NAh it's mutual I know I won't be able to go back, so between me and the boss we have come to a sensible solution that suits both of us. Re cannabis I have never done drugs and never want to. I'm certainly not miserable Metla why should I be the sun is shining and I don't have get up in the dark

Metla
05-11-2010, 08:39 AM
I'm certainly not miserable Metla why should I be the sun is shining and I don't have get up in the dark

Oh, I don't know...

Life changing events outside your control, uncertain future, termination of employment, inability to function to your prior capacity,pain....

But really I was going on the tone of your recent posts on the subject, and we all know how hit and miss that can be here on the internetz.

gary67
05-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Yeah initially the other week it hit me for a few days, but i'm over it now and just enjoying the break starting today

KarameaDave
05-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Something good will turn up mate, it's just a matter of time.
Enjoy the upcoming summer and keep a smile on your dial.

Trev
05-11-2010, 12:22 PM
If you feel like it do some volunteer work for some organization, even just a few hours a week keeps you motivated. Gets you out meeting people and it can even lead to a full time job.
:)

Billy T
05-11-2010, 02:46 PM
If an employee becomes unable perform their normal duties due to illness or other incapacity, and the employer has no suitable alternative work they can offer, then they can lawfully give notice (in accordance with the contract) and terminate the employee. It is called 'frustration of contract,' no fault or blame attaches to either party (even if the incapacity was self-inflicted), and the termination is not actionable. Needless to say, the employee cannot claim that they were made redundant either. Some try, very few, if any, succeed.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Richard
05-11-2010, 04:42 PM
I guess the crook shoulder has called a halt to your speleology too. No good when you can't even pursue your hobby.

gary67
05-11-2010, 05:55 PM
I guess the crook shoulder has called a halt to your speleology too. No good when you can't even pursue your hobby.

Unfortunately yes for the time being at least. I had to give up rock climbing and mountaineering after the initial trouble 6 years ago, I'm not even able to ride my bike or go tramping at the moment. But will be able to do those again eventually