PDA

View Full Version : Excel - finding a moving cell

15-09-2001, 04:58 PM
I use Excel's Web Query to download a table of stock exchange Symbols and Current Prices. Given the random addition and deletion of Stock Symbols over time, any particular Symbol and its adjacent Price can vary within the table's height.
Fortunately, each Symbol is consistent in its text string make-up - it just keeps moving vertically!
The question is - how can I always return, to an adjacent worksheet, a particular Symbol's Price?

15-09-2001, 05:31 PM
If you use Edit/Find, will it find the cell with the symbol text in it?
If it can, a macro can be written which will use 'find' then copy the offset cell containing the data to where ever you want.

16-09-2001, 12:03 AM
Hi Russell, thanks for the response, and thanks for the idea, but I should have been more specific. I am hoping to do this with a formula. There are several stocks I want prices for, and I don't want to do it manually every time for each of them. Macros have their place, but I try to avoid them like the plague. More drama than they're worth!

16-09-2001, 12:04 PM
Morri Murphy, I have just started experimenting with this my self, while i dont have an answer is is it possible to see your exel files ?

boyd@ihug.co.nz

thanks.