PDA

View Full Version : email

lostsoul62
04-11-2010, 05:02 AM
Is there any way to block unwanted email? Putting up filters and blocks only puts them in the junk email folder and I have found some emails in there that I wanted so is there any way so they won't even come to your computer. COX is a big ISP and they gave me a load of crap concerning this.
Reason: eBay is sending me hundreds of unwanted email and I can't even contact them to tell them to stop. I have Windows Live Main. Any suggestions?

wainuitech
04-11-2010, 07:50 AM
Try Mailwasher (http://www.mailwasher.net/) - what it does, is it looks at your mail before you download it, then you select what you want to let through and what you dont.

Example heres some of my lot over night (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Mailwasher.jpg) (I got the Paid version so it may look a little different)

Sometimes auto filters will block legit mail. With mail washer its upto you what comes through to your Computer. Watch the Video on their site, it shows you how to use it.

It was originally designed by a New Zealander :thumbs:

Safari
04-11-2010, 08:18 AM
You may want to consider changing your email address as that is the only way to get control over unwanted emails.

Mailwasher is good but it still requires your input to decide what you want to download.
You can do basically the same thing by going to your webmail and deleting any unwanted messages there that you do not want to download with your mail client.

wainuitech
04-11-2010, 08:38 AM
You may want to consider changing your email address as that is the only way to get control over unwanted emails. That would last all of 5 minutes.

People are getting lazy these days, want computers to do every thing for them :groan:

Safari
04-11-2010, 08:52 AM
That would last all of 5 minutes.

People are getting lazy these days, want computers to do every thing for them :groan:

I beg to disagree, a new email address if used carefully will be spam free for a long time.

Unwanted emails such as from ebay you will only get if at some stage there has been some contact with them so use a different email address for things like this.

Some suggestions from ebay at this link.
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/account/unwanted-email.html

wainuitech
04-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Changing a email address may not be an option for some people. I have seen it hundreds of times, people change their email, and within a week or two its right back where they were.

With mailwasher you can set it to auto bounce a particular sender, Eg: set ebay to bounce, and when mailwasher looks at the mail it auto deletes it, no other selected needed for that address.

The link from ebay posted :thumbs: either its options / account has not been read - Saw this (http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/account/change-preferences.html#set) in a matter of seconds.

Paul.Cov
04-11-2010, 10:07 AM
The problem with keeping an email identity clean is also strongly influenced by your circle of friends.

If you have mates who cc you and a thousand others every bit of humour they find, then you are up the creek.
Likewise, if you behave the same way yourself, then you're only encouraging the same problematic behaviour and perpetuating the problem for yourself and for others.

My solution to this is to have two or more email accounts.

The bozos who cc you all manner of tripe get told your more disposable address, while business contancts, trademe, online purchases, govt departments get the use of the more formal 'clean' account.

Success still isn't guaranteed, but if you can filter your mates in this way you will certainly achieve more results with reducing your spam and virus woes.

So yeah, start by filtering how you behave, then filter your mates as to how they behave, then you can consider filtering your inbox.

If you have kids using the same email account you're screwed, coz they and their mates are too indiscriminate. Get the kids their own hotmail account, and insist they keep the family account within the family only.

Scouse
04-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Support for Mailwasher - used well.