PDA

View Full Version : Server 2008 / Exchange 2007 Backups

berryb
03-11-2010, 09:30 AM
I have 2 servers running 2008 (1 domain controller and Exchange 2007 SP2) and currently do a manual backup to a shared folder on the network using Windows Backup.

I would like to automat this process to a shared folder (on another machine) but find this is not possible using the scheduled task option in Windows Backup. Can only schedule to external hard drive or tape plugged directly onto the server.

Using external hard drives is fine but getting someone to take offsite is an issue, hence backing up to a share on another machine in a completely separate building using a scheduled task would be ideal.

Since Windows Backup cannot do this what software do people use?

This is a school and money is always an issue but maybe there is software out there that will not cost the earth.

ronyville
03-11-2010, 10:04 AM
What are you currently backing up on both the servers? C drive, system state, shadow copies, data files, first storage and second storage on the Exchange 2007?

berryb
03-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Windows Server Backup only does volumes and Exchange SP2 with Windows Backup is Exchange aware and from my reading backs up Exchange (mail store and all) automatically as part of the system state backup.

Domain Controller
1 backup set - C:\ and system State
2nd backup set - D:\ data files

Exchange
1 Backup set - c:\ and system state

There is another Domain Controller with replication from the main DC to help ease the load and a backup to AD.

SolMiester
03-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Have you ever tried a restore from these backups you are currently doing?, have you check the size of the exchange logs?
The reason I ask is I dont think windows backup flushes the logs, and you will 1 day run out of disk space!
I certainly would never use Windows Backup with Exchange Server Mailstore...

Why dont you buy a probably backup media device, they arent that expensive and you get to take off site. Most even have proper backup software.
HP have both an int\external USB devices starting at 72Gb

nofam
03-11-2010, 12:46 PM
I certainly would never use Windows Backup with Exchange Server Mailstore...

Why dont you buy a probably backup media device, they arent that expensive and you get to take off site. Most even have proper backup software.
HP have both an int\external USB devices starting at 72Gb

^x2 - If you buy an external tape drive for example, you'll often get Backup Exec bundled with it - this gives you much more granular recovery than a full mailbox/mail store restore, as well as the ability to set up rotational backups (GFS etc).

Symantec purchased Backup Exec a while back off Veritas, but they haven't managed to stuff it up yet. . . :D

CYaBro
03-11-2010, 01:39 PM
I would also look at ShadowProtect, they give good discounts for academic places, and it is probably the best backup software on the market.
You can backup to pretty much any type of media except tape, tape is too expensive and slow anyway.

berryb
04-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Will check out ShadowProtect and Backupexec.

Sol - do you have a HP model recommendation that comes with software?

Gobe1
04-11-2010, 10:59 AM
I would also look at ShadowProtect, they give good discounts for academic places, and it is probably the best backup software on the market.
You can backup to pretty much any type of media except tape, tape is too expensive and slow anyway.

+1 i use this to backup our SQL server, had to restore from the backups once in three years, went without a hitch.
I backup to a NAS on the LAN and then send to a USB hdd to take home.
Also you can restore to another machine which i have tried but the machine was way underpowered and to handle and spat the dummy

04-11-2010, 11:00 AM
I would also look at ShadowProtect, ....

DOES NOT flush logs
program bugs so may not backup any USB HD you may be using for storage( will not affect 99.9% of users)

Backup exec is REALLY expensive,if you want SQL backup, then thats another add-on you have to purchase.
Any (descent) software designed to backup servers will cost $1000+

Acronos (Server edition) is another option. I think this just images the whole server & may not allow restore of individual mailbox's etc (may be wrong)

I dont think tape drives come bundled with free BackupExec anymore, not the ones Ive sold anyway.

SolMiester
04-11-2010, 11:23 AM
To backup sql, i just get sql to backup itself and the backup gets backed up to tape....

You could also look for some 2nd hand LTO drives, seen them quite cheap on TM!....Think BE is about $600 to buy + some agents to push the backups to the media server...

berryb
05-11-2010, 08:56 AM
Sol - I haven't tested a restore yet but will be soon. The logs are flushed with a full backup but not with a copy.

Currently getting quotes for ShadowProtect and Backupexec. Looking at Acronis it also has an exchange aware product but would stick with the main stream unless someone can offer good experience with Acronis.

berryb
05-11-2010, 09:02 AM
At another site I have just taken on using SBS 2003 I found no backups were working (or had been for many months) due to storage limitations on the external drives. I quickly installed bigger drives and got the MS SBS backups working. The server only has one HD and it died a couple of weeks later.

All I had was the backups to do a complete restore and it worked OK. A couple of minor things to reconfigure but all the major data – Exchange/User data was fine.

Gobe1
05-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Well done
I constantly archive old backups and data to try to keep the data size down.