PDA

View Full Version : Downsize Excessively Large Avi File

justinsg
31-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Hi there,

I have a video of a concert that was recorded professionally and they have sent me the final export which is a 46GB AVI file! The file is only 3.5 hours long and the windows right-click > Properties window reports the bitrate is around 32000kbps.

The resolution of the video is only 720w x 576h and there is only one stereo audio track. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this file would be so large? The audio is possibly raw/uncompressed but at 2gb a minute (by bitrate) that's kind of excessive!

Is there a way I can reduce the video down to, say 3-4 gig, i know you can download 1080p movies that are only about 8-9gb. I don't mind what format it ends up as, provided it will play on mac quicktime and in windows media player.

If you tell me how, I can provide a sample clip of the file or any further details.

Cheers,
Justin

SoniKalien
31-10-2010, 05:47 PM
For 3.5 hour video you should be looking at 1.5-2gb file size to keep decent quality.

Guides here (http://www.videohelp.com/convert) should be of help, giving you a bit more information on what file type you end up converting to, as well some (mostly) free tools to do it all :)

Metla
31-10-2010, 06:13 PM
3.5 hours I would encode down to about 6 to 8 GB. Ive tried to reduce footage of that length down to a single DVD and the audio and video both suffered terribly.

Anyhow, It just so happens that Speedy put up a link earlier to a free video encoder.

http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=113676

nedkelly
31-10-2010, 06:47 PM
now thats good timing

justinsg
31-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks guys! Exactly what I wanted (free too!).

One other thing - the original was filmed in 16:9, and when encoded, it was squeezed into 4:3 and black bars were added to fit it back to 16:9.... a bit weird but don't ask me why!

So my final reencoded version is just the video part of the original (not the black bars) and how could I stretch this back into 16:9, I have to do it manually in VLC and in WMP it can only be played as is.

Thanks in advance,
Justin

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2010, 06:56 PM
If you used that program I think you can change it on the bottom

justinsg
31-10-2010, 07:03 PM
If you used that program I think you can change it on the bottom

Hmm you can but only for cropping - what I'm looking for is to crop, then stretch (maybe I'll have to do two conversions in two programs)

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2010, 07:07 PM
What format did you convert it to? MP4?

justinsg
31-10-2010, 07:10 PM
What format did you convert it to? MP4?

MP4

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Looks like the only option thats got 16:9 is DVD. Unless changing keep aspect ratio to fullscreen will fix it

justinsg
31-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Okay thanks! I might just have to recompose it in After Effects or something then

Chilling_Silence
01-11-2010, 09:05 AM
It's not just about the container format (MP4 / AVI / MKV), but the codecs of each of the streams inside of it.

Think of "MP4", "AVI" and "MKV" as a pencil case. You can put any manner of Pens (Video streams) or Pencils (Audio streams) inside them, such as a Blue Pen, Red Pen, Green .. A small pen, a big pen, a multi-color pen...

What you should be interested in is the codec, is it h.264 or XviD for example. Compressing using h.264 will take significantly longer but it's better quality for smaller filesize.

So, technically speaking, asking if it's an MP4 or an AVI file realistically tells you diddly squat about the file contents, codecs, compression / bitrate etc.

Use Handbrake to convert it: http://handbrake.fr
It will let you actually *see* what kind of codecs you're going to be using and adjust appropriately.