PDA

View Full Version : Installing xp win 7 dual boot

jareemon
31-10-2010, 12:11 AM
My laptop came with win7x64, and i want it to dual boot 32bit xp as well.

How do i set up a dual boot if all i have is the laptop's win7 acer recovery disks? (and an oem xp disk)

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2010, 12:15 AM
Usually its better if you install XP then the latest version. If its pro use XP mode install. But you'll probably be limited in things hardware wise. Probably not a good idea if its got a recovery partitiion (and only 2 partitions). You'll wipe the partition, if you put XP on it

jareemon
31-10-2010, 12:17 AM
What if i split the main partition into two? but then, i was thinking, that since win7 'recovery' doesnt give the option of which drive to install, i could install xp first on D: then the recovery for win7 will go on C:... would that work?

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2010, 12:29 AM
I have no idea. Only way is to try it. The recovery DVD is probably set to install the recovery partition to D by default

jareemon
31-10-2010, 01:08 AM
but c is the main drive, the recoverey partition is hidden... i dont know if it even has a drive letter

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2010, 01:12 AM
Well try what you said, you'll soon find out, if it works or not

pcuser42
31-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Borrow a Windows 7 disc and use that to install 7 after XP.

jareemon
31-10-2010, 09:21 AM
http://imgur.com/tjsSv

wainuitech
31-10-2010, 10:24 AM
It can be done, I've done it twice.

You shrink the partition that has with Windows 7 installed to make room for XP, then install XP on the new space.

You cant generally use Recovery CD/DVD's as they will take the complete drive ( normally).

WARNING: BACKUP ALL DATA FIRST.

As I said, I've done it twice, the first time went sweet as - no problems, the second time it all turned to crap, and both OS's had to be reinstalled from scratch, even trying to repair Windows 7 failed.

If you go to This site here (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html) - second method explains fully with pictures.

I find it easier to use a third party Partition tool to re-size the drives.

One I came across the other day is Partition Wizard (http://www.partitionwizard.com/) - get the bootable CD ISO on the left and burn the ISO using your ISO burning program. Its a real simple program to use.

jareemon
31-10-2010, 10:42 AM
thanks for that, I'll partition the current win7 drive and split it into 2 drives, leaving the hidden recovery partition there (i have full recovery dvds anyway), and install xp on C: and win7 on D:.
But, am i able to use my win7hp oem cert (says 'acer group' on the cert) code with any win7 disk? do i need to use a win7hp disk or can i use a win7 ultimate disk with my cert, 'downgrading' it to home premium? and is my cert limited to 64bit? (i doubt this would be the case)

wainuitech
31-10-2010, 11:45 AM
As long as the DVD's are not recovery DVD's:

If you have a Windows 7 home Pre OEm and you use the home Pre COA it should accept it. You may have to call MS if it wont activate and explain you had to reinstall using the COA on the Sticker OR as Ihave had to do twice this week, telephone activate it.

can i use a win7 ultimate disk with my cert, 'downgrading' it to home premium? If I read that correctly - NO The Ultimate will go looking for a Ultimate Key.

Upon saying that - all versions of Windows 7 are on the One DVD.

The product key will only be accepted by whats in the ei.cfg file in the DVD, as shown here (http://www.windowsvalley.com/unlock-all-editions-from-windows-7-iso-image-x86-and-x64/) #3.

IF the ei.cfg is altered correctly when booting from the DVD you will be asked what version of W7 you want to install, you have to have the COA for what ever version you want. EG: if you select Ultimate you must still have a ultimate COA.

The 64 bit COA generally will work on either x86 or x64 with the appropriate version Eg: Home pre x86 or x64

sahilcc7
31-10-2010, 09:12 PM
You have to install xp on a separate partition and then when you boot the computer after installing xp, you will not be able to boot into windows 7. You have to download EasyBCD on XP and then use it to re-create the windows 7 bootloader. You add the entry of 7 in the bootloader and point it to your windows 7 drive. Then restart and you will have XP and 7 in a dualboot.