PDA

View Full Version : What's "ini" file showing up during a burn?

ktee
30-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Thought you’d all be enthralled to know how my computer enlightenment is going – or not. Now confused with “ini “ file message

After 2 tries think Ive burnt desired files.
Despite most sites showing what screens I should get up during Burns and Backups, I don’t. Vista Home premium - Burn Wizard, does not give you a choice of burn speeds to select in case of buffer overruns.
(Im sure it’s somewhere if I need to do it, but sites implied it was a compulsory selection.

I only burnt 2 folders: Documents, then Pic's (not both together)
1st attempt. Docs went quick no probs. Pics started then timer rapidly went to 1 day!!!(1GB). As mouth dropped open.. Burn just stopped. No error message. So just dragged across files, only 4 Bitmap images (6mb each took a bit longer). Unfortunealy pics I dragged didn’t quite make it to”PicFolder” instead sit messily below folder.
So..thought can I move them On a R- disc, tried it, showed file copy moving, but didn’t actually move. Took disc out put back in, no longer work, drive cant read it days :Insert Disc”,

2nd attempt. Turned off virus protection and dragged some other files I had on desktop into documents first.
Burnt Doc & Pics again (as above, separately). All went fine but got message up, same one for each burn, On Docs and on Pics

There is already a file with the same name in this location

1)Copy and Replace
Replace the file in the destination folder with the file you are copying
desktop.ini
desktop (C:\Users\Ceejay\Documents)
Size 402 bytes (larger)
Date modified: 14/09/2009
2) Don’t Copy
No files will be changed. Leave this file in destination folder:
desktop.ini
desktop (D:\Documents
Size 84 bytes
Date modified: 29/09/2010 (newer)

3) Copy, but keep both files
The file you are copying will be renames” desktop (2).ini

( ) Do this for all conficts Skip CanceL

So what is this, I cant find a file with “ini” end on any files in Docs folder.:confused:
What option should I have selected.
Why didn’t it come up with first burn

And yes I selected 3) Copy but keep both, which is probably wrong choice.??

Sorry.. its too long...:blush:
Ktee
I'll go and mow lawn, and wait for enligtenment. lawn should require no brain power

Snorkbox
30-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Vista does not have burn to DVD natively and 1 Gig ain't going to fit on a CD so you need the likes of Nero or ImgBurn

ktee
30-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Okay take it back, Burn disc is not fine.
Snorkbox- sorry dont know what you mean natively. And using DVD's 4.8GB.
Only have 3.2GB to burn. Just looked at burned disc. Can read them all okay.
But..
Pics all there, 1.2GB. Docs (I burnt 2nd) only shows as 576MB. C:/ docs was 1.84GB.
But when look at total GB's burnt on Disc it says 3.16GB. So Ive burnt 1.4GB of docs that arent showing under folder.
Also when I look at burned files under doc folder, it stops at file called "dental". Which would come just before the above mentioned "desktop.ini" file I cant find, which the message came up for.

pcuser42
30-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Vista does not have burn to DVD natively and 1 Gig ain't going to fit on a CD so you need the likes of Nero or ImgBurn

Yes it does.

Snorkbox
30-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Yes it does.

My mistake. I was never dopey enough to install Vista in the first place. :devil

pcuser42
30-10-2010, 04:27 PM
My mistake. I was never dopey enough to install Vista in the first place. :devil

Are you volunteering to buy me a copy of Windows 7? :devil

To answer your original question, the desktop.ini is a hidden file in most special folders (Documents, Pictures, Downlaods etc.) that stores information such as what icon to display and what "localised" name to assign it (the reason why the same folder can appear as Documents in Vista and 7, but My Documents in XP). It's safe to ignore.

Snorkbox
30-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Get your own Win 7 like I did if you please.

ktee
30-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Bearing in mind I've already burnt isc and as mentioned “Docs” folder only shows 576MB and stops at a file called dental, but the D disc show about
1.4GB of burnt files I cant see.

Just tried it in another PC with XP, came up no problem, Docs came up faster and shows all 1.8GB of “Docs”. So they are all there and readible in XP, but not all of them in Vista (which burnt on).
Plus when viewing with XP in both Doc and Pic folders there are the
2 Desktop ini files showing. Doesnt show when disc put into Vista.

PCuserwinvista: you say “safe to ignore” so I presume as it was DVD-R disc I will have to burn again (as I have Vista, Xp machine I borrowed) so I can read them

And by ignore what should I select, SORRY I NEED REALLY BASIC INSTRUCTION Im all visted out

1)Copy and Replace (Replace the file in the destination folder with the file
you are copying)
2) Don’t Copy (No files will be changed. Leave this file in destination
folder)
3) Copy, but keep both files (The file you are copying will be renames”
desktop (2).ini
Take it not 3 as that was what I used
4 ( ) Do this for all conficts
5). Skip
6) Cancel

Ta:thanks

pcuser42
30-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Plus when viewing with XP in both Doc and Pic folders there are the
2 Desktop ini files showing. Doesnt show when disc put into Vista.

Whether or not desktop.ini (or other hidden files) shows in Explorer depends on the settings: by default in both XP and Vista (and for that matter, every version of Windows) is to hide hidden files (what a surprise :stare:). Hidden files when visible have a greyed out icon.

When I copy my Documents folder, I simply open the folder, press Ctrl+A to select everything, then copy and paste to where I want, opting not to copy desktop.ini ("Don't Copy").

(Too many brackets. :p)

ktee
30-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Sorry to go on, I dont really understand if this file is needed on disc at all.
If i pick "Dont copy," it still says "No files will be changed. Leave this file in destination folder". so destination is DVD disc ?, that would mean Im still going to get one copy there??

What would happen if I did skip or cancel??

About the hidden files, I did check that afterwards, and cant see the Desktop ini files on C drive, under Docs or Pics. But as mentioned shows on Disc when used in Xp.

Im going to end up with a few coasters!!

pcuser42
30-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Sorry to go on, I dont really understand if this file is needed on disc at all.

No, it's not.

If i pick "Dont copy," it still says "No files will be changed. Leave this file in destination folder". so destination is DVD disc ?, that would mean Im still going to get one copy there??

Yes, the destination is the DVD. However it should read something along the lines of Leave this file in the source folder (Documents), not destination (the DVD).

What would happen if I did skip or cancel??

Skip would effectively do the same thing as Don't Copy. Cancel will stop the entire operation, so nothing else will be copied.

About the hidden files, I did check that afterwards, and cant see the Desktop ini files on C drive, under Docs or Pics. But as mentioned shows on Disc when used in Xp.

If "Show hidden files and folders" is checked, then you might need to show hidden operating system files as well. (I'm currently on an XP netbook so can't check Vista's behaviour right now.)

ktee
31-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks Pcuserwinvista for all of above, understand more now. Will try again tomorrow.
Then progress to trying the backup option (files only, this time with Virus protection off.
Then a Full back using differnt software, then.. do my fans..