PDA

View Full Version : HDD Dodginess

pctek
29-10-2010, 07:47 PM
What do you think? Friend has a Vista Compaq laptop. Stuffed it to the brim with movies. It was on the point of crashing it was so full, I took a working 2.5" USB drive over for her to move them off onto.

At first, trying to move the entire folder (57GB) it threw a hissy, wanting to format the drive and various other messages, estimating time of 2 weeks or so.....Doing it bit by bit worked, I left her to it.

Anyway a few weeks later she rings me and says it kept asking to be formatted again, she says she didn't - brings it over and it's apparently empty.

I retreived loads of avi files with Recuva. They seem to work OK, the few I randomly choose and played.

I moved stuff onto the drive off the drive etc etc. All seems well.

Formatted again, moved it all back. Opened stuff, ran stuff, can't make it complain or do anything suspicious.
PLayed around with it, didn't run manufacturers test software though (its a WD HDD) but it looks fine to me.

Her laptop hasn't done anything suspect in drive fail terms although it runs like a dog and takes ages to do things. ITs not full now.

Because it was full when she moved the stuff or should I bother testing the portable? It was one of mine before and working happily as a backup drive.

wainuitech
29-10-2010, 09:42 PM
First thought could be Vista a playing silly buggers with a near full drive.

The OS needs spare room to "Move and do tasks" if it doesn't have enough room, it can (will) corrupt causing errors in some tasks.

it runs like a dog and takes ages to do things Could be corruption - even though the OS has space now, damage is done.

First thing I would do, save all data - complete fresh reinstall - then see what the performance is like.

It may not be reading the USB drive correctly and thinking it needs formatting when in fact it doesn't, or the drive could have developed a fault in the circuit board, once again, not reading correctly.

Corruption of a OS as you know can do stupid things.

Example: Got a guys PC here, XP wouldn't read his New Ipod (and slow as a wet week) - But will read just about any other USB storage device. Short end - the OS was badly corrupted, after a reinstall the Ipod reads as it should, and XP really flies along on a fresh install, all updates and his data replaced.

pctek
30-10-2010, 06:40 AM
Yeah. I went over last night. Drive was fine.

well for a while then one of the movies crashed. This was after I gave up on her Nero player that would hang every time. WMP wouldn't play MP4.
Downloaded VLC, and it complained error writing to drive as it tried to finish it's download. This on the laptops drive. Hmm. Second attempt was OK.

She said she'd had issues with the laptop ever since it was bought. One thing I could smell the heat coming out of the thing.

Anyway I am trying to retrieve some photos that were deleted of the laptop drive now then I'm wiping the laptop and starting fresh. Pig of a thing.

As for my portable, now its back on my PC it's behaving again. Hmmm.

wainuitech
30-10-2010, 09:51 AM
One thing I could smell the heat coming out of the thing.:eek: DONT let the smoke out :p

We all know Computers run on smoke, let it out and it wont go any more :lol:

pctek
30-10-2010, 02:27 PM
:eek: DONT let the smoke out :p
:lol:

Well that was fun.
All the screws had been done up tight and then later wrecked. So I got the joy of trying to undo them - thats the HDD cover and the HDD bracket screws.

Then spent 4 hours retrieving photos. It found them all, alas 2/3s are damaged.

Put nasty thing back together, burn remaining photos to DVD (as the portable still doesn't like the laptop). Have yet to give her the exciting news.

Smoke hasn't come out yet but I have to say the temptation to help it is increasing.

Agent_24
31-10-2010, 12:29 AM
What do you think? Friend has a Vista Compaq laptop.

I think an ECS laptop running Windows ME would be worse.