PDA

View Full Version : Have your Emails gone?

Snorkbox
29-10-2010, 01:15 PM
http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/orcon-customers-emails-wiped-3864874?ref=rss

Not good.

Erayd
29-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Good grief... what happened to backups?

DeSade
29-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Mine are fine as far as I can tell

wratterus
29-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Mine are all there still...

CYaBro
29-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Ha, why should it be Orcon's problem to backup user's emails?
Do people not download their emails to an email client like Outlook, OE etc?

johcar
29-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Another good reason NOT to use an ISP's mail service. Wouldn't have had any problem if those users had been using Gmail....

Renmoo
29-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Oh golly god.

That's quite unbelievable.

Safari
29-10-2010, 02:13 PM

Some don't, they just use webmail

Safari
29-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Another good reason NOT to use an ISP's mail service. Wouldn't have had any problem if those users had been using Gmail....

Gmail have had plenty of problems in the past.
There is no reason not to use an ISP email if it is also downloaded onto your computer as well you will always have a copy.

It is not a good idea to have your data stored on another server somewhere
and this includes Gmail as there is always a chance it will be deleted.
If it is on your own computer you have control over it and can backup as well as a precaution.

johcar
29-10-2010, 02:28 PM
I have 1.5GB of mail going back to 2001 on Gmail. However I still prefer POP3 to IMAP so I also have local copies.

But the PST files (I have split the archives up) total well in excess of what's on Gmail's servers. If I lost the PSTs, I wouldn't be too worried.

Gmail have never had a mail deletion issue as far as I am aware.

wainuitech
29-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Yet another good reason that the so called "Cloud Computing" could be dangerous, everything stored on some ones Servers can be disastrous, they can fail just as much as any other computer -- At least if the data is on your Own PC its up to the person to do backups. You may ask wheres Orcon backups ????? Oh right - we dont have any.

Now imagine if that was (and probably can be) someones work important data/ Mails going back years -"POOF" gone. And what do they say-- Oh sorry.:crying

Gobe1
29-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Gmail have never had a mail deletion issue SO FAR as far as I am aware.

Too right wainui, why most IT will like to be in control of their own stuff.

Fixed that for you Johcar

pctek
29-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Who leaves their mail on the ISP server?
But still, what happened to their backups?

Safari
29-10-2010, 04:15 PM
I have 1.5GB of mail going back to 2001 on Gmail. However I still prefer POP3 to IMAP so I also have local copies.

But the PST files (I have split the archives up) total well in excess of what's on Gmail's servers. If I lost the PSTs, I wouldn't be too worried.

Gmail have never had a mail deletion issue as far as I am aware.

"Another good reason NOT to use an ISP's mail service"
That comment of yours is quite wrong

What is the difference between what you are doing and an ISP email customer downloading with a mail client.

GMail Disaster, Google confirmed the Mass Email Deletions.
http://www.oreillynet.com/xml/blog/2006/12/gmail_disaster_google_confirme.html

Happened again the next year as well.

The Error Guy
29-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Well, you are relying on someone else to back up your stuff. if its that much of a big deal, do it yourselft and d/l via POP3 or IMAP. i'm good here with all our stuff on outlook, don't leave mail on the server.

This is one thing I hate about society, Orcon performs pretty well for 3yrs and no over ONE screw up they suddenly become an shoddy and un reliable service, why? its just a problem, no one is perfect. there are steps to be more reliable but even then they are subject to some problems

skylady
29-10-2010, 06:09 PM
The ad to one news was definitely misleading - it sounded like there had been an absolute disaster at orcon. Instead it is about 266 people have lost their email. Considering the number of customers the orcon have, that is a very small proportion. Sure it will be frustrating for those customers who have lost their email, but if the email was that important they should have been backing their email up elsewhere. As a colleague's signature says there are two type of people in the world, those who have lost data and those who will.

Zippity
29-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Are we supposed to feel sorry for the silly buggers who have left all their emails and personal contacts on someone else's computer?

Get a life!!

robbyp
29-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Yet another good reason that the so called "Cloud Computing" could be dangerous, everything stored on some ones Servers can be disastrous, they can fail just as much as any other computer -- At least if the data is on your Own PC its up to the person to do backups. You may ask wheres Orcon backups ????? Oh right - we dont have any.

Now imagine if that was (and probably can be) someones work important data/ Mails going back years -"POOF" gone. And what do they say-- Oh sorry.:crying

Thats why I am wary of these online only accounting systems

Robinz
29-10-2010, 07:06 PM
There was someone on the news tonight complaining that all her business bookings had been lost and was looking at trying to claim some compensation!

Honestly what sort of business relies on an ISP to look after there bookings!
I don't back up my emails because non of them are critical, but if it was for my livelihood.....!

FoxyMX
29-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Some don't, they just use webmail

I know that we can't rely on what the reporters tell us on TV but on the news they said something about customers could hire someone to retrieve their emails from their computer.

If they were using webmail I don't see how that is possible.

FoxyMX
29-10-2010, 09:37 PM

Exactly. That's just one reason why cloud based apps have no favour with me. :rolleyes:

robbyp
29-10-2010, 10:39 PM
There was someone on the news tonight complaining that all her business bookings had been lost and was looking at trying to claim some compensation!

Honestly what sort of business relies on an ISP to look after there bookings!
I don't back up my emails because non of them are critical, but if it was for my livelihood.....!

The questions are why didn't they download the emails onto their computer from their ISP, and back them up. In the terms of some ISPs they state that they may delete the emails after 60 days and customers must download them regularly onto their computer. The ISP is not a permanent store for the email, but an intermediary storage during the send receive process. It is like expecting NZ post to store a copy of all your mail that you send and receive.

robbyp
29-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Exactly. That's just one reason why cloud based apps have no favour with me. :rolleyes:

For better or worse, it is what the future will be. It is what the movie and music studios are wanting, as it gets around copyright issues, as you download stuff on demand, rather than having and sharing your content.

mikebartnz
30-10-2010, 12:46 AM
I have no sympathy for Rebecca Macintosh, she deserves what she got but what about the people that hadn't had a chance to download their current emails.
I left that Govt owned outfit years ago when they couldn't get their head around internet banking.

paulw
30-10-2010, 08:37 AM
No problems with mine. I'm away at present so when i retrieve my email I leave a copy on the server until I get back . Logged in via webmail and all 240+ were there.

SP8's
30-10-2010, 09:20 AM
And what do people do if they download their emails without leaving a copy on the server and their HD fails without backup .....:crying

Orcon are correct .... hardware can fail .... even backups.

pctek
31-10-2010, 07:37 AM
So it was mail people hadn't yet downloaded.
And the backup server failed too.

The back server failed too???! Oh er.