PDA

View Full Version : Just one more Skype question.........

Billy T
28-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Hi Team

I have just noticed that I have a new icon in my system tray at bottom-right of my screen (icon is best described as a green rugby ball with a white tick in it).

When I mouse-over it, it says 'Skype (Online)' but on checking Start Up via MSconfig, Skype is not present, nor is anything that remotely resembles anything to do with Skype (at least that I can recognise).

Does Skype run anything in the background when the main program is not open?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

Zippity
28-10-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm guessing so, if you have run all the checks.

Safari
28-10-2010, 10:45 AM
If the icon has a tick Skype is still running.
When you close Skype normally it leaves it running with the Sys Tray icon showing.
To close Skype completely right click the sys tray icon and Quit.

mzee
28-10-2010, 10:55 AM
When you log in to Skype it stays on line listening even if you close the Skype window. If you wish to close it completely, right click on the small green icon and select 'Quit'. If you wish to open the Skype page select
'Resume Skype'. When you install Skype you have the choice of 'Start with Windows' or not. I prefer 'not' as I never get any calls and it delays start up, also can compete with Anti virus update. There will be no entry in the start up menu.
I just Text the party I wish to see on Skype.

Regarding text from Skype, it is about 50% cheaper than Vodafone. You can set up to place your cell phone number on the text so someone without Skype can reply. Rates to Land line overseas is about 4cts Aus per minute, cell phones about 50% Vodafone, except China where Cell & Land line are the same, 4cts. This is because in China they pay to receive a call on a cell phone.

Billy T
28-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Right, now I understand. Thanks for that, I've shut it down and will revive it when needed. We won't be having on-going Skype traffic and any future events will be pre-arranged by email anyway.

We'll probably have weekly calls once our daugher is ensconced in Oz, in fact I'm quite sure that Mrs T will insist, once said fledgling has flown the nest.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thumbs:

wainuitech
28-10-2010, 11:24 AM
If you have already installed Skype and didn't tell it not run on startup - to disable it so it wont run, open skype, log in - tools / Options Untick Start Skype when I start windows (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Skype.jpg).

Then to open it simply click on the icon on the desktop.

lakewoodlady
28-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Right, now I understand. Thanks for that, I've shut it down and will revive it when needed. We won't be having on-going Skype traffic and any future events will be pre-arranged by email anyway.

We'll probably have weekly calls once our daugher is ensconced in Oz, in fact I'm quite sure that Mrs T will insist, once said fledgling has flown the nest.

Cheers

Well, whatever you do, don't set the skype status to 'Skype me" I made that mistake once and someone from Italy popped up and asked if I would like cyber sex! :(
Anyway, told him where to go in no uncertain terms. :lol:

LL

John H
28-10-2010, 03:21 PM

Cheers

When I installed Skype, I used to leave it running, and everyone I knew who was on Skype felt free to call up to have a chat. Very nice, but I kept being interrupted whilst I was trying to work. I no longer let it run at start up.

We now have an arrangement with the kids that if they need/want a Skye chat, they txt first, then we decide who is going to take the call (me or SWMBO) because we have Skype and webcams on both of our PCs. If I am flat tack working, Herself will fire up her Skype app, and take the call. We used to txt back to say we were ready, but now we just call them from whichever PC is going to be used. That should work well with your daughter in Oz - getting her to txt first.

DUNK
29-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Anyway, told him where to go in no uncertain terms

Hmmm ! That bit, I'd like to see. Especially from a Girl May learn a bit more about the English language !! :drool

lakewoodlady
29-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Hmmm ! That bit, I'd like to see. Especially from a Girl May learn a bit more about the English language !! :drool

Not suitable for repeating on this forum. Too many bleeps, and would lose a lot in translation.

LL

mikebartnz
29-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Well, whatever you do, don't set the skype status to 'Skype me" I made that mistake once and someone from Italy popped up and asked if I would like cyber sex! :(
Anyway, told him where to go in no uncertain terms. :lol:

LL
You turned it down?;)