PDA

View Full Version : a brain teaser

JJJJJ
27-10-2010, 10:56 PM
My computer has lost all it's bios settings.And of course the overclock.
When it first happened I had to start the computer with the disk
The time and date are two years old. If I disenable the startup logo it comes back after I restart . My 30 day free trial programs time out. If I just turn off computer and leave it plugged in all is OK, but if I turn power off I lose everything.When I restart I get messages about bios is not installed and then it tells me I have changed my cpu and please reset my cmos.
I strongly suspect a dead battery, even though the computer is only three months old.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Jack

Erayd
27-10-2010, 11:06 PM
I also suspect a dead battery - I'd replace it before trying to diagnose some other arcane cause. Thankfully they're cheapish - most supermarkets will sell you one for around $5, or you can find them cheaper online.

Just because the motherboard was new doesn't mean the battery had a reasonably full charge - this is usually the case, but not always.

Snorkbox
27-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Time and date gone indicates dead battery to me too.

jareemon
27-10-2010, 11:21 PM
I also suspect a dead battery
+1
If a new batterey doesnt fix it, get it repaired under warranty

Snorkbox
27-10-2010, 11:23 PM
I think overclocking may void any warranty and Jack has done this.

pctek
28-10-2010, 05:56 AM
And who's to say he told them it was overclocked?

JJJJJ
28-10-2010, 07:14 AM
I think overclocking may void any warranty and Jack has done this.

It was bought overclocked. Advertised as such. Only problem is I've lost his phone number.

WarNox
28-10-2010, 07:49 AM
It was bought overclocked. Advertised as such. Only problem is I've lost his phone number.

Oh well, if its just a battery it'll cost you $3 and 10min of you time. But if its something else you best be finding that phone number :D

28-10-2010, 12:02 PM
DEAD bios batt = bios reset = no longer overclocked via bios settings

:banana

why would anyone want to buy a overclocked PC??
hope you got it cheaper (I suspect not)

Sometimes the bios can just spontaneously reset itself, some boards are designed to reset after POST 'issue' (from overclocking for example)