PDA

View Full Version : compaq presario all-in-one computer

donald
27-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Hi I see Dick Smith have tis computet (model cq1-1012) on sale at $699. I am thinking of buying one for surfing the net. What do you think of this computer for this usage.

wratterus
27-10-2010, 12:59 PM
I wouldn't touch one with a forty foot barge pole. Cheap and nasty.

If you really want an all in one a better brand such as Asus would be a good idea, although they are a bit dearer.

8ftmetalhaed
27-10-2010, 01:02 PM
that pc is effectively a netbook with a big screen, mouse and keyboard.
You'd probably do better getting a netbook and buying a big screen, mouse and keyboard.

SP8's
27-10-2010, 01:05 PM
+1 for wratterus

Or if you have an existing desktop .... upgrade the internals !

LynX
27-10-2010, 03:21 PM
A Windows 7 Home Premium and a 19in monitor would over $300, but it's doable to get a computer for $400.

Intel Celeron E3300 = 74.46
Foxconn G31MX-K = 72.45
Kingston ValueRAM DDR2 PC6400/800MHz CL6 2GB = 59.72
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 16MB 320GB = 60
Lite-On iHAS324 = 32
Gigabyte GZ-X2 420W (Black) = 65.09

TOTAL = 363.72

You can also get a wireless keyboard and mouse package, I think.

But again, these are two different things. The all-in-one is good for power-saving, and you don't have a big case to deal with.

wainuitech
27-10-2010, 03:44 PM
A Windows 7 Home Premium and a 19in monitor would over $300, but it's doable to get a computer for $400.

Intel Celeron E3300 = 74.46
Foxconn G31MX-K = 72.45
Kingston ValueRAM DDR2 PC6400/800MHz CL6 2GB = 59.72
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 16MB 320GB = 60
Lite-On iHAS324 = 32
Gigabyte GZ-X2 420W (Black) = 65.09

TOTAL = 363.72

You can also get a wireless keyboard and mouse package, I think.

But again, these are two different things. The all-in-one is good for power-saving, and you don't have a big case to deal with. You forgot two things.

A OS , add in approx $170
A gun to shoot the poor underpowered slow as a wet week thing to put it out of its misery

SP8's
27-10-2010, 03:56 PM
A gun to shoot the poor underpowered slow as a wet week thing to put it out of its misery[/LIST]

:lol::lol::lol:

wratterus
27-10-2010, 04:00 PM
A gun to shoot the poor underpowered slow as a wet week thing to put it out of its misery

:thumbs:

kahawai chaser
27-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Hi I see Dick Smith have tis computet (model cq1-1012) on sale at $699. I am thinking of buying one for surfing the net. What do you think of this computer for this usage.

Asus seems twice as high in price; If you say you only want internet browsing, and affordability is a factor, I would check global user reviews if any. Try Youtube for reviews. Many on this forum generally are quite selective, and customize PC's, etc, with HP not one of them I suspect...

LynX
27-10-2010, 05:03 PM
1) No I didn't. The system totalled $363.72, and adding the W7 HP and 19in Monitor, which I estimated around to be $300+, it's still below $700. Although... $340 is a bit too optimistic, I admit.

2) I don't know a lot about guns, so do you think a pistol is better? Or a rifle? I guess for a system like this, an RPG (or rocket launcher) would be nice :devil:.

A few things needed to add:
Windows 7 Home Premium (OEM) = 146.68 (OR you can try Ubuntu. Not recommended as a substitute for Windows, however)
LG W1943S = 182.85 (or ViewSonic VA1913WMA if you like the Piano Black finish, for a few more dollars)
Logitech Wireless Desktop MK250 (EN) = 29.20 (doubt if it's available at that price)
600mL Canola Oil = 5 (should be enough if you want to fry your motherboard and CPU :p Though doesn't work as well as a machine gun, at least I can't afford the bullets, which is even more annoying than not having a gun handy:()

Subtotal: 363.73
Add PC Parts: 363.72 (coincidence?!)
Total: 727.45

Greven
27-10-2010, 05:54 PM
You pay a bit extra to get an all in one, but for some people that is very important. I find it funny that some all in one PCs come with a corded mouse & keyboard. I though the point of an all in one was the only cable you need is the power cable.

wainuitech
27-10-2010, 06:16 PM
The all in ones are Ok depending on what you want to do. Like any computer if its underpowered it is unpleasant to use.

I was at a customers place around December last year, they had a All In One HP touchscreen & W7.

It wasn't exactly cheap, (cant remember the model but it was an HP) for general day to day web surfing it was "okish" -- I say that a little tongue in cheek, as there was a couple of times it was working its butt off to keep up with what I was doing (lagging) and that was just a general clean out.

Old story, you aren't going to get power for nothing. If a Computer is to under powered you will find it will have more problems,the under powered ones are always corrupting files and not working correctly. ANY name brand PC - remove all the "crap" they install that's not required, and put on a good AV, Not the Norton/ McAfee/ Trend Micro they tend to bundle with them.

600mL Canola Oil = 5 (should be enough if you want to fry your motherboard and CPU :p Cheaper at Pak n Save ;) get it for BBQing :D

LynX
27-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Greven, we need to give the PC manufacturers a chance. If they supply wireless stuff they're going to be broke! (besides, a wireless mouse is quite heavy, and occasionally not so nice to use. I didn't like them. )

I don't have much faith towards that Atom dual core. Even Celeron will beat it easily. Which means if you, like me, are a multi-tasker, opens 20 tabs up front and view later (I do that most of the time :p How much do I miss my thumb-button mouse), or watch YouTube, it's probably going to be a pain seeing the system halts from time to time.

That computer, with its Atom CPU, 2GB DDR2 RAM and GMA 3150 (which a tad more powerful than G31, but still weak alright), it's looking like a Nettop (Netbook less portability but adds size). Remember, processing is not going to be its strength, and you're advised to stay away if you are a picky computer user.

jareemon
27-10-2010, 08:06 PM
that pc is effectively a netbook with a big screen, mouse and keyboard.
You'd probably do better getting a netbook and buying a big screen, mouse and keyboard.
:lol: (tis true)

Greven
27-10-2010, 08:48 PM
One of my customers bought a nice HP all in one, then loaded Trend Micro Internet Security & made it bluescreen on boot. Can't remember the specs, but it didn't feel slow when I was installing & setting up all their software.

pctek
28-10-2010, 04:57 AM
Asus seems twice as high in price; . Many on this forum generally are quite selective,

We're selective because a lot of us repair them and see which ones are faulty often and which ones aren't.
We like hardware that rarely has problems. Weird, but hey, that's us.

28-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Expect the all-in-one to be full of non standard parts, that will be very expensive to replace & very hard to diag if suspected hardware faults occurs
Expect even the most basic of repairs to be more expensive.

Better off with an ex lease PC perhaps

Greven
28-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Expect the all-in-one to be full of non standard parts, that will be very expensive to replace & very hard to diag if suspected hardware faults occurs
Expect even the most basic of repairs to be more expensive.

Better off with an ex lease PC perhaps

No more non-standard parts than a laptop. All my customers that bought all in one computers would have otherwise bought a laptop & never move it from the desk. You would be surprised how many people never move their laptop from where they first sit it down.

8ftmetalhaed
28-10-2010, 12:14 PM
I agree with that one.... I used to take my laptop most days to uni during sem 1, sem 2 i only take it once a week if that. Although that said, timetables DO change... hence why i haven't moved it this sem round.

Agent_24
28-10-2010, 01:32 PM
You would be surprised how many people never move their laptop from where they first sit it down.

Then why do they buy a laptop? Why not buy a desktop? It will be faster at same price or cheaper at same performance level.

donald
28-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Following on from agent 24 this is why I am looking at an all-in-one. to replace my aging Dell Desktop. The computer will never leave my desk so a laptop is a waste of a battery. I like the big screen, keyboard and mouse of my desktop but don't like all the wires strung behind it .
As I only use the Dell for surfing the web, most of the current desktops seem overkill, hence the attraction of a cheap all-in-one.
What should I buy ?

LynX
28-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Then why do they buy a laptop?

I think most people buy laptops because laptops are always more flexible than desktops, one way or the other. For example, you can take a laptop to your backyard and enjoy the sunshine and internet at the same time, but you can't do that with a desktop. Or, when school work's hot on tail, you can take it to school and do it. There's a lot of possibilities with laptops you don't get with desktops, and some people might just want to "keep their options open".

However these circumstances are highly situational: there's 6 months in the year when the temperature is a bit "flaky", in which a few months raining like hell; and if you keep finding yourself in the tight situation of school work, then there's something really bad going on and it's probably better to lock your lappy away altogether :D.

Personally I don't like laptops very much: low performance per dollar, not ergonomically good (I can't afford the accessories since the laptop sent me broke!), overheats quite a bit when I try to use it on my bed, screen too small, can't take it apart... Okay, I'm being picky here. But you get the idea: the design of a laptop means you'll miss out on quite a few things.

Lastly, sorry for long post...

LynX
28-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Following on from agent 24 this is why I am looking at an all-in-one. to replace my aging Dell Desktop. The computer will never leave my desk so a laptop is a waste of a battery. I like the big screen, keyboard and mouse of my desktop but don't like all the wires strung behind it .
As I only use the Dell for surfing the web, most of the current desktops seem overkill, hence the attraction of a cheap all-in-one.
What should I buy ?

Experts, correct me if I'm wrong, but: you're going to get something that is either over-priced or under-performed. I figured that the only way for a All-in-One to work is to use laptop parts, which means shrunken performance, heating issues, and, naturally, being more expensive.

A desktop is an overkill... that depends how you define "Overkill". Surely, a i7 980X is an overkill for 99.99999999% of the population, but desktop can also go down as low as Athlon II X2 and Pentium, even Celeron. And here's the beauty with desktops: you get to decide what goes in your PC.

Of course, I'm not saying you shouldn't get an all-in-one, I'm just saying don't rule out desktop so fast.

28-10-2010, 03:40 PM
What should I buy ?

Apple.

LynX
28-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Apple.

If you don't consider how much it would cost, that is.

OP asked us a $700 all-in-one, after a $100 discount. He's not using the computer to do any "hard core" things, e.g. Video Editing (one area where Apple excels, I heard), and consequently he is not prepared to spend a lot of money on his new computer.

you mean this computer?
http://www.magnummaconline.co.nz/public/product/item.php?itemcode=APPMC508X/A
Seriously, an Apple iMac costs from $2000? More than enough for an i5 with HD5750 and Windows 7!

or this one?
http://www.magnummaconline.co.nz/public/product/item.php?itemcode=APPMC270X/A
You'll need your own monitor for that. And you can get computer parts, a 22in monitor, Windows 7 and a wireless keyboard/mouse set for cheaper!