PDA

View Full Version : Bad Service from Orcon

TideMan
27-10-2010, 09:33 AM
I have two domains hosted by KiwiWebHost which has been taken over by Orcon.

Previously, the service was good. If I had a problem I'd email KiwiWebHost and get a reply within hours either telling me either the problem was fixed or saying they were working on it and an estimate as when it would be fixed.

I've had a message in to Orcon for two days now and had no reply, other than to acknowledge my email. I rang this morning and was told they were dealing with 400 emails. I asked why they thought that was my problem? They couldn't tell me. Nor could they tell me when they would get to my problem.

None of my webpages are updating because the hourly ftp routines that worked previously are now only getting through spasmodically, most are timing out.

Can anyone advise a more reliable web host? I only need pretty basic facilities and about 30 megs of memory for each domain.

DeSade
27-10-2010, 09:52 AM
I have referred this post to a guy I know that offers hosting, will have him look at the thread.

pctek
27-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Never email an ISP, it's last in the queue.
Always ring. And in fact Orcon list their staff by dept on their site so you can look up who deals with hosting and ring one of them.

johcar
27-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Try Openhost. Great service and good pricing.

robbyp
27-10-2010, 04:19 PM
They really need to update their website too. It says it is part of iserve, but iserve no longer exists as it was taken over by orcon.

It doesn't say there are any issues on any of their status pages. 400 emails to reply too, WTH. I see they did have one major outage on their primer server recently that looks to have lasted almost a day.

Metla
27-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Its a shame, Previously they were very fast to sort any issues, recently I had to contact them and received a very weird email in reply, it was obvious the "tech" it was referred to didn't have any understanding of the issue.

robbyp
27-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Its a shame, Previously they were very fast to sort any issues, recently I had to contact them and received a very weird email in reply, it was obvious the "tech" it was referred to didn't have any understanding of the issue.

I have some clients still hosted on Iserves servers, and I have had the same issue with support. Takes them days to reply, if they reply at all. When phoned orcon, after no reply, I got put through to a receptionist, where I had to leave a message as their callcentre helpdesk were all busy. This has only been since it was taken over by orcon. Previously they have been excellent. Such a pity.

Greven
27-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Are there any ISPs left with a good helpdesk?

robbyp
27-10-2010, 06:20 PM

Web hosting isn't the same as an ISP.
Normally webhosting providers do provide fair better service and support, than what ISPs provide, from my experience.

Snorkbox
27-10-2010, 06:25 PM
For some strange reason that escapes me I have never needed support from KiwiWebHost.

There is one domain name I have had there that I look after for a local club and have done so for around 3 or 4 years now.

robbyp
27-10-2010, 06:46 PM
For some strange reason that escapes me I have never needed support from KiwiWebHost.

There is one domain name I have had there that I look after for a local club and have done so for around 3 or 4 years now.

You usually only need support if they have a problem with their servers, or you don't have the technical knowledge on how to use FTP or setup email accounts.

Snorkbox
27-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Haven't had a problem with the servers to date.

I use wsftp pro and no email addresses are hosted there apart from the Admin one.

I guess that's why I have not yet needed support.

There again everything was set up before Orcon took over.

Metla
27-10-2010, 08:08 PM
You usually only need support if they have a problem with their servers, or you don't have the technical knowledge on how to use FTP or setup email accounts.

Apps in the cpanel frequently break, and I have had to have them intervene to set up multiple domains under the one hosting package.

pctek
28-10-2010, 04:55 AM

Xnet.

robbyp
28-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Apps in the cpanel frequently break, and I have had to have them intervene to set up multiple domains under the one hosting package.

They shouldn't break. I have never had a problem with cpanel with the host I am with, and add on and parked domains can be added easily through cpanel.

pctek
28-10-2010, 10:53 AM
So whats the general opinion of Telstras Helpdesk then?

Metla
28-10-2010, 11:14 AM
They shouldn't break. I have never had a problem with cpanel with the host I am with, and add on and parked domains can be added easily through cpanel.

Of course they " shouldn't" break, and no cpanel didn't have the capability to make the configuration changes required.

:pf1mobmini:

robbyp
28-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Of course they " shouldn't" break, and no cpanel didn't have the capability to make the configuration changes required.

:pf1mobmini:

Can you give me more details, as I should be able to tell you if that is isolated to your particular host, or is a limitation in cpanel. The host can chose to restrict services in cpanel such as the ability to add additional domains. Personally I have never had any issues with cpanel, and that is after using it for over 6 years. The only thing hat I would need to contact the tech about is making chnages to the domains zone file, for things such as setting up google email with the domain.

Greven
28-10-2010, 11:38 AM
So whats the general opinion of Telstras Helpdesk then?

Haven't had to deal with them in ages, but they used to be good when you finally got through to them after waiting on hold for an hour. Didn't they offshore some of their helpdesk a while ago?

prefect
28-10-2010, 12:12 PM
telecom good but I always ask for any Phillopiners
that pickup to transfer me to a New Zealander.

Metla
28-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Can you give me more details,

Nope, Not seeking help on the issue, it was handled in a suitable manner at the time.

The point was to raise a couple of real world situations that fell outside your earlier comment as to what situations could arise where it was required to contact the host techs.

robbyp
28-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Nope, Not seeking help on the issue, it was handled in a suitable manner at the time.

The point was to raise a couple of real world situations that fell outside your earlier comment as to what situations could arise where it was required to contact the host techs.

Yes, but that would be a server technical issue with their servers, which is one of the only reasons you would need to contact them as I explained previously.

Under normal conditions you shouldn't have those problems, and you should be able to set up add on domain directly through cpanel without contacting them.

BillIrwin
30-10-2010, 12:18 PM
I'm in the same boat. Used to praise kiwiwebhost, support was prompt and useful. I got caught in the recent primer server meltdown and php function is still screwed up on my site. Two days later I have had no response from support requests, I found this thread because I'm looking for a new host to move to. I'm thinking Openhost looks good.