PDA

View Full Version : Insane hard drive warranty policy

kram
26-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Ok I'm hoping someone can tell me what's going on here. My neighbour had a PC custom built from local tech retail store a couple of years ago. Last week the hard drive (Seagate Barracuda) crashed. Checked out the store's warranty policy which stated 3 years on HDD. Sweet. She took it in and guess what. Because the HDD was purchased as part of a PC they said it only had a one year warranty.

Huh? Same part. Installed by them. But they are only prepared to offer a one year warranty? Is there any logic to this that I'm not seeing? Don't they trust the quality of their build?

Kram

gary67
26-10-2010, 06:03 PM
The manufacturers warranty still stands, it seems to me they are trying it on

Deimos
26-10-2010, 06:07 PM
CGA

Snorkbox
26-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Seagate drives have a three year warranty. Find the serial number on the drive and check Seagates Site.

Who knows whether a second hand drive may have been put in when it was built?

nate
26-10-2010, 06:40 PM
One year warranty is pretty standard on custom build machines, I agree with Snorkbox, raise the issue with Seagate.

kram
26-10-2010, 06:43 PM
I forgot the best part. She took her desktop in and they replaced the drive. It cost her her full retail and half an hours labour! Then they told her that she got a good deal as it would have taken longer than that to do the job. Come on, how long does it take to change an HDD when all connections are already in place? Talk about taking advantage!

Here's hoping they gave the defective drive back...

gary67
26-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Did they image the system to the new drive though that could take at a minimum half an hour

kram
26-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Did they image the system to the new drive though that could take at a minimum half an hour

Good point, I'll check that out. I don't think they would have been able to though as the drive was unusable. I ran a UBCD4win boot disk over it and the only way to get any data off was with RAMCOPY. Even then only got about 20% uncorrupted file recovery rate.

I would have thought at a minimum though if they were going to pull the manufacturer warranty thing (and the CGA says deal with the retailer first) they should have informed her when in store that was an option. Instead they made her pay for a replacement she was entitled to and for labour.

Snorkbox
26-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Also the shop is not liable for loss of data. You back up BEFORE the drive fails!!!

kram
26-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Also the shop is not liable for loss of data. You back up BEFORE the drive fails!!!

Too true, I've already given her a hard time about that.

PENTIUM
26-10-2010, 07:35 PM
There are price discounts on supply of HDD with 12 months guarantee that some assemblers use.
Depends where it came from, eh?

wainuitech
26-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Its no skin of the shops nose about a warranty.

They give a 1 year warranty - then if the drive or any other part for that matter fails after that time, but within the manufactures warranty, the shop charges the customer for a new drive, and they can claim a replacement drive on the manufactures warranty.

About the half hour charge - that's standard - it would take about 5 minutes to change a drive at the outside.

BUT did they install an OS back onto it or was it just a PC with a blank drive and you or the neighbor have to install the OS, along with all drivers etc ?

If they installed a OS, then a 30 minute charge is being generous if they charge bench time as well , do it your self and time it ---- Windows XP - approx 45 - 60 minutes to format/install windows, then allow another 10 for drivers (assuming they have the motherboard CD) - if not download them, if Vista or Windows 7 its a bit quicker ......get the drift ;)

There are price discounts on supply of HDD with 12 months guarantee that some assemblers use. Read as refurbished drives.

Normal warranty depending on the drive make and model ranges from 3-5 years Western Digital Warranty (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/WD.jpg) on their drives.

PENTIUM
26-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Perhaps, wainui however I have previously purchased from Computerlink HDD sourced from N Z Seagate distributors that had differential priceing and paid a premium to get extended to 3 yrs.

Trev
26-10-2010, 07:57 PM
My computer I bought from Ascent in July 2008. Some parts are still under warranty.
Mother Board expires July 2011, CPU expires June 2011, Ram expires June 2013, PSU expires June 2011 and Seagate Barracuda 500gb HD expires 2013.
:)

LynX
26-10-2010, 08:01 PM
The manufacturer, Seagate, is also very bitchy. Apparently in China, there are cases where a Seagate hard drive is rejected, just because there's writings, and minor scratches on the label. Not sure about NZ, though.

So, do yourself a favour, and DON'T BUY SEAGATE DRIVES!

Other people think of it too:
http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/12/04/seagates-warranty-policy-is-poo-at-least-according-to-an-online-tech/
http://www.lockergnome.com/theoracle/2008/12/12/seagates-new-warranty-policy-who-are-they-kidding/

Source:
http://it.21cn.com/itnews/hygc/2010/05/12/7521095.shtml
(Chinese website; probably needs Google Translate)

Snorkbox
26-10-2010, 08:03 PM
One would hope that you get a new drive in a PC rather than refurbished too.

kram
26-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Great comments all, thanks.

If it turns out that they are putting in refurbs in a PC and selling them as "new" then thats something I'll certainly won't let drop - Fair Trading Act perhaps?

Need to check out the state of the HDD they've installed and check out the originals serial numbers.

CGA still applies no matter what, I think 2 years is less than reasonable.

kram
26-10-2010, 08:25 PM
They give a 1 year warranty - then if the drive or any other part for that matter fails after that time, but within the manufactures warranty, the shop charges the customer for a new drive, and they can claim a replacement drive on the manufactures warranty.

... does this mean the retailer gets double for a failure? Once from the customer who's been charged for the replacement drive. Then again when they claim back from the manufacturer?

somebody
26-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Was this retailer PC Online Shop by any chance?

A while ago they tried to tell me that they only honoured the first year of a hard drive's 3 year warranty (their "company policy" apparently), and that I would have to deal with the manufacturer directly or pay a "handling fee". I made it very clear to them over the phone that this was unacceptable, and they promptly replaced the drive, under warranty, at no cost to me.

wainuitech
26-10-2010, 08:42 PM
does this mean the retailer gets double for a failure? Once from the customer who's been charged for the replacement drive. Then again when they claim back from the manufacturer?Seagate used to simply supply a new HDD if one came back from a warranty claim.

That means that if some place didn't actually put on the full warranty the part has, then they could sell off the new replacement drive as a new drive - which it is.

When doing a warranty, and this doesn't just apply to computers, they dont have to put in a new part, it can be refurbished - the original warranty time still applies.

So lets say a Drive is new, and its got a 5 year warranty, Say Jan 2010 that warranty could be valid till 2015 - if the drive fails, they can put in a refurbished drive, if that fails tehn they replace it with another and so on till 2015.

When you buy a new PC it "should" have new parts - BUT take HP, in their warranties they used to put the parts are new or as new.

The reason I mentioned refurbished drives earlier, is I have seen and been offered drives very cheap, but they are refurbished.

At the time you couldn't tell by looking if they were new or refurbished.

The last seagate drive I did a warranty on, the replacement came back with a LARGE sticker that clearly stated refurbished.

Nomad
26-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Some shops are dodgy.
Quay refused to acknowledge that the CD-ROM was bought from them even when I had a receipt.

Noel Leeming, we bought our first CD-ROM back in the days. Software/drivers couldn't be installed (they had to use a diff driver), got a swap, same issue, then another customer had the same issue so they asked us to bring it in to their tech, salesman told me there will be a labour charge, I asked the tech, he became nervous looked at the salesman at a distance and said I had to ask him. After some moaning, they finally decided to waive it.

pctek
26-10-2010, 09:05 PM
It's a wee bit true.
If you buy a Seagate in a custom built PC it has the normal 3 yr warranty.
Buy it all by itself, it's 3 yrs.
Buy a Compaq, Dell, Acer crapbox and it's 1 yr because of the deal they did with them.

Seagates are on a par with WD.

DeSade
27-10-2010, 08:53 AM
The manufacturer, Seagate, is also very bitchy. Apparently in China, there are cases where a Seagate hard drive is rejected, just because there's writings, and minor scratches on the label. Not sure about NZ, though.

Other people think of it too:
http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/12/04/seagates-warranty-policy-is-poo-at-least-according-to-an-online-tech/
http://www.lockergnome.com/theoracle/2008/12/12/seagates-new-warranty-policy-who-are-they-kidding/

Source:
http://it.21cn.com/itnews/hygc/2010/05/12/7521095.shtml
(Chinese website; probably needs Google Translate)

This is total bullshit.

All my PC's have Seagates, must have brought over 30 of them over the last 10 years and not a single one has failed.
Right now I have 6Tb of data on Seagates and backed up to Seagates with another 4 or so waiting to be filled.

There is NOTHING wrong with Seagate drives.

wratterus
27-10-2010, 09:08 AM
This is total bullshit.

There is NOTHING wrong with Seagate drives.

x2.

I think their warranty policy is great, and they aren't too picky about it, they have even replaced a drive for me that I connected the power connector up backwards - it's nothing to do with them that a shop decides to give the drive they sold you a 1 year warranty - it has a 3 year manufacturers warranty. Go here (http://support.seagate.com/customer/warranty_validation.jsp), you can RMA direct to seagate in Singapore.

Snorkbox
27-10-2010, 10:16 AM
x3 I too have no probs with Seagate drives and if I wanted another drive today I'd be getting another one.

Gobe1
27-10-2010, 10:33 AM
+4
If i took a drive in to be warrantied and they would not replace it then it would be coming home with me. there is no way i would leave it there for the company to do anything with down the track

Trev
27-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Ok I'm hoping someone can tell me what's going on here. My neighbour had a PC custom built from local tech retail store a couple of years ago. Last week the hard drive (Seagate Barracuda) crashed. Checked out the store's warranty policy which stated 3 years on HDD. Sweet. She took it in and guess what. Because the HDD was purchased as part of a PC they said it only had a one year warranty.

Huh? Same part. Installed by them. But they are only prepared to offer a one year warranty? Is there any logic to this that I'm not seeing? Don't they trust the quality of their build?

Kram
Can you please name and shame this store please so as others don't full into the same trap.

SolMiester
27-10-2010, 10:47 AM
I forgot the best part. She took her desktop in and they replaced the drive. It cost her her full retail and half an hours labour! Then they told her that she got a good deal as it would have taken longer than that to do the job. Come on, how long does it take to change an HDD when all connections are already in place? Talk about taking advantage!

Here's hoping they gave the defective drive back...

What about all the time to install O/S, drives dont come pre-installed with O/S you know.
30min labour is very good!

inphinity
27-10-2010, 11:45 AM

Or, do yourself a favour, and DO buy Seagate drives. I've never had an issue with warranty on Seagate or WD drives, their support teams have always been more than happy to help, very prompt, and hey, both brands make brilliant drives.

utopian201
27-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Can you please name and shame this store please so as others don't full into the same trap.

agreed, name and shame so we know to avoid them.

wainuitech
27-10-2010, 01:51 PM
agreed, name and shame so we know to avoid them. I'd say the opposite, name and give a pat on the back.

Not for the 1 year warranty. ---But IF a OS was installed, depending on the OS, then that takes around an hour, add in the drivers 10 -15 minutes - and IF windows updates were also installed, you can easily ad in another hour.------and they only charged 30 minutes.

I'm doing a windows install currently, it was started around mid day, now almost 2.00pm---do the maths.

Gobe1
27-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Good point Wainui
Here i allow 4 hours for a format and reinstall all drivers and install programs staff need, but allow 8 just in case (murphy comes along)

EDIT: that doesnt make much sense now i read it again DOH. I tell staff it will take 4 hours but could take up to 8.

Chilling_Silence
27-10-2010, 02:19 PM
I've had nothing but issues with Seagate drives personally. Had several roast themselves over the last 6-7 years. Never had that issue with WD though. Samsung are drives I try and avoid also...

If the drive dies, then the person who sold you it is required under the CGA to do the liasing with the manufacturer, not you.
See here:
http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/consumer-guarantees-act/the-guarantees
And here:
http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/consumer-guarantees-act/putting-it-right

As a consumer, there's a *lot* that you're covered for!

However, as wainuitech says, if they've only charged 30 mins for a full reinstall etc, then you've got off pretty lightly in that respect.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the CGA says something against replacing with other second hand goods, I just can't find that right now ...

wainuitech
27-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Gobe1 -- I fully understand your post :thumbs: Its very easy to take a day to install an OS, do all windows updates, reinstall programs, put data back, and set it up.

What you should say is its going to take 8 hours, then when you do it faster you're in the good book :D

wainuitech
27-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Chill --- Theres a slight difference between second hand and refurbished. generally refurbished means they have had a fault, which is repaired, but cant be sold as new. The fault could have been something like 1 dry solder joint Definition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refurbishment_(electronics))

HP are good for that - they often put in refurbished motherboards esp if the Laptop is out of warranty -- and by that I mean 4-5 years old. You are given the choice of new or refurbished, new costing a hell of a lot more of course.

Dont know if you have a Consumer Login or not, the question asked:

Hi, I have a question about what happens when the vendor is unable to repair something broken, and provides a replacement. Should the replacement model be a brand new one, or can it be a refurbished model? I bought a PSP from Bond & Bond which stoppped working within a year, and as it couldn't be repaired, they replaced it with a refurbished model not a new one. Am i entitled to insist they provide me with a new model? Thanks in advance.
Reply 1: Posted by: Lorna Price 12 Jun 2010 12:28pm

Although this sounds a bit unusual, I think fairness should prevail in this case. As long as the refurbished model is of the same or better condition to your original unit then you are no worse off. Also, I would suggest you check the serial number or date of manufacture to make sure they are not trying to give you an older unit. Steven Price (Computer Direct)

Personally I wont touch refurbished parts, no matter how much cheaper they are. :groan:

Chilling_Silence
27-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Until the "refurbished" unit also fails, as happened with my brother and his Playstation3.

He bought one from EBGames, 5 months later it developed a fault. It was replaced with a second hand / refurbished model.
4 months later this new one developed a different fault. It was again replaced with yet another refurbished / second hand model
6 months after that it developed another fault totally unique. This time, because the 1-year warranty period was up, they weren't prepared to honor any warranty.

I was prepared to have a field day with them and unleash all hell upon them. My brother and his wife instead traded it in for something like $90 in a non-working state and bought himself a Wii instead.

I know that he treats his consoles with the utmost respect, never abuses them, stores them away carefully, doesn't tightly wrap up the cables around the controllers, looks after the console, handles all discs very carefully... Yet he was given a run of dud machines.

I guess you're right, in some cases it could be legit to replace the model with a refurbished replacement, but not always ...

wainuitech
27-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Okay we get the point -- you double posted :D :p:lol:

You're a Mod - delete one :p

Chilling_Silence
27-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Odd, I wonder how that happened ....

wainuitech
27-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Fast Fingers :D

mikebartnz
27-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Fast Fingers :D
He's done it before. Must be the DT's:banana

28-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Im pretty sure that for a while Segate (& Others??) changed Warranty to 1 year for a brief period

But realistically, The margin/profit in PC hardware is almost non-existent. Given the markup on that PC, I wouldn't exactly blame them for not wanting to split warranty up into separate components. 1 year PC warranty is pretty much standard, no Name brand PC company will give varying warranties on individual bits of hardware in a PC.

You want 3 year warranty, by a PC with 3 year warranty AND pay the extra cost for it.

Buy a cheap PC knowing its a 1 year warranty, DONT COMPAIN AFTER 2 YEARS

bananna for you :banana

Chilling_Silence
28-10-2010, 01:37 PM
bananna for you :banana

:lol: :lol: :lol: