PDA

View Full Version : Mouse parts?

Deimos
26-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Anyone know where I can get mouse parts? like replacement teflon pads, USB cables etc? I have a Logitech with a faulty cable, and its not too cheap to replace...

pctek
26-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Other dead mice?

Renmoo
26-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Anyone know where I can get mouse parts? like replacement teflon pads, USB cables etc? I have a Logitech with a faulty cable, and its not too cheap to replace...
A cabled mouse that is dead = sounds like it might not be worthwhile replacing the individual parts of the input device?

My 2 cents :)

DeSade
26-10-2010, 03:55 PM
A cabled mouse that is dead = sounds like it might not be worthwhile replacing the individual parts of the input device?

My 2 cents :)

http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=401022

G9X - Cabled and not exactly cheap.
There are relatively expensive cabled mice still readily available.

Renmoo
26-10-2010, 05:18 PM

Thanks for notifying me :)

Driftwood
26-10-2010, 05:34 PM
That must be the Ferrari of mice.

lakewoodlady
26-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Think I'll stick with my $20 DSE one.......

LL

SoniKalien
26-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Have you pulled the mouse apart? A common problem I have found with a lot of mice is the USB cable pulling away from the circuit board. Usually resoldering it back in place properly is a good fix :)

Snorkbox
26-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Stop using sandpaper for a mouse mat. That would be the only way to wear out teflon pads surely.

Deimos
26-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Have you pulled the mouse apart? A common problem I have found with a lot of mice is the USB cable pulling away from the circuit board. Usually resoldering it back in place properly is a good fix :)

Yeah I pulled it apart and there was nothing obviously wrong with it, but after I stripped away the braided outer, and then the rubber insulation after that I found that the shield/earth wire (which completely incases the other cables) had almost completely broken and another wire had semi broken and was shorting with the shield/earth wire

Stop using sandpaper for a mouse mat. That would be the only way to wear out teflon pads surely.

The process of pulling my mouse apart left my teflon pads a little worse for wear, I managed to get it back on with some double sided tape to rectify the situation, but I'm still left with one dead (expensive) mouse.

I have 2 G5s a classic G5 and the 2007 refresh, I ended up sacrificing the older G5 to fix the newer one (IDK how the older one outlasted the newer one, and I fixed the "design flaw" that caused the newer one to fail) niether was cheap, over $100 each, I'm thinking about removing the internal plug and just soldier the wire on directly, and double sided tape to re-attach the teflon, but I would still like to know if it would be possible to just buy the parts, it seems like a waste of time having to desoldier a plug etc.

Now I'm seriously considering upgrading my now fixed G5 2007 with a G500, I can then use the G5 2007 to replace the classic G5.

SoniKalien
26-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Yeah I pulled it apart and there was nothing obviously wrong with it, but after I stripped away the braided outer, and then the rubber insulation after that I found that the shield/earth wire (which completely incases the other cables) had almost completely broken and another wire had semi broken and was shorting with the shield/earth wire.

In that case, I would desolder the remaining wires, cut the whole cable back about 1cm past the breakage, strip about 3mm off the ends and resolder back into the circuit board.

Deimos
26-10-2010, 09:47 PM
In that case, I would desolder the remaining wires, cut the whole cable back about 1cm past the breakage, strip about 3mm off the ends and resolder back into the circuit board.

Its a plug on the PCB which is harder to replace than wires, desoldering a plug can be a b*tch, but replaceing the cable with another one is a sinch, just wish I could get one, I'm almost considering buying a second hand G5 off trademe for $20

zqwerty
26-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Take note of the path the cord takes internally though the mouse so that you can duplicate the path when you re-assemble.

The wire/wires inside the cord nearly always break where it goes into the mouse, all you have to do is ascertain that this is so by pulling the cord and see if it stretches, then cut it and rewire onto the plug using the colour code of the wires to make the correct connections using a soldering iron, if you are clever you can do it without using any insulation to separate the wires.

You don't have to do a master craftsman's job here just make sure the wires are connected to the correct terminals and not touching any of the others.

As for the pads, just cut the shape you want out of an old plastic dish-washing detergent bottle and then put in correct place with double-sided selotape. Choose a flat area on the bottle and use grunty kitchen scissors.

I have repaired many mice this way, it is not an arduous task.