PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Windows ignores keyboard

h0b0_321
25-10-2010, 10:31 PM
When windows xp loads, the keyboard stops responding and when I reach the log in screen I can't do a thing. The keyboard works in the bios and in other computers, I have also tried different keyboards (USB and PS2) and they all stop working when windows xp loads. Mouse works fine. The previous night before this problem I was removing some applications and assume I accidentally removed the driver for the keyboard. Is there anyway I can download this driver and move it into the hard drives windows directory or do I have to reinstall windows? (Reinstalling is my last, last option)

Info:
XP sp3 media center edition
pentium 4 3.06
hp asterope motherboard
nvidia 9500gt
hp mouse
logitech keyboard (has been working for ages until now)

I don't have access to recovery console, system restore, etc on that pc.

Agent_24
25-10-2010, 10:50 PM
You should be able to re-install the driver if your mouse works at least, but keyboard 'drivers' are usually just to add hotkey functions etc.

As a basic keyboard (without any special keys), they should all work without any special drivers\software.

Weird, unless there was some problem in device manager or it was disabled somehow

linw
25-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Check Device Manager (Rt click My Computer, lt clk Manage/Device Manager). Then dbl click Keyboard. What is there? You could rt click it and click Update driver and see what happens.

gary67
26-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Hmm if no keyboard will work you are a bit stuck then, maybe if you can put the driver on a flash drive using another computer you could install using the mouse only

Speedy Gonzales
26-10-2010, 08:59 AM
What if you scan for hardware changes in device manager? Highlight something, then select it under the action menu. I take it, you uninstalled whatever first, before deleting its folder (which is not a good idea). Is it a wireless KB??

jareemon
26-10-2010, 09:11 AM
doesnt xp have accessability options on the login screen? use the onscreen keyboard...

h0b0_321
26-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Im stuck at the login screen since theres no on screen keyboard and the last account I was on requires a password to log on to (admin). All tested keyboards were wired and ordinary (no special features). On that computer the ONLY things I can do is access the bios and shutdown.

:pf1mobmini:

Agent_24
26-10-2010, 07:11 PM
What about Safe Mode?

gary67
26-10-2010, 07:17 PM
Try booting a live Linux CD such as Puppy as it is a small download

h0b0_321
27-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Can't access safe mode, does puppy allow me to make back ups? (Mainly want browser bookmarks)

iannecj
28-10-2010, 01:43 PM
I have a similar situation.

-I have a custom PC keyboard emulator that plugs into the PS2 port and have used it with various PCs.

-Just got a new motherboard.

-Now on this new PC setup with a the new motherboard, the PC keyboard emulator works in BIOS but fails to function once windows XP boots up.

-Driver in windows (under Device mgr) appears to be the same on both PC setups with the exact same version of driver.

-Basically with one motherboard PC keyboard emulator works in bios and once windows boots. In the newer setup, PC keyboard emulator works in bios but stops functioning once XP boots.

HELP!!!!

P.S. I have Halt on errors off in both setups.

I also notice the BIOS settings are the same in the 2 machines but there is a different motherboard maker.

Somehow this issue is related to how XP interacts with the motherboard.

Anyone have an idea?

Respectfully in your debt,

Chris Iannello

Agent_24
28-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Im stuck at the login screen since theres no on screen keyboard and the last account I was on requires a password to log on to (admin). All tested keyboards were wired and ordinary (no special features). On that computer the ONLY things I can do is access the bios and shutdown.

You could try removing the password with ntpasswd.