PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question time - registrar vs host

johcar
25-10-2010, 09:59 PM
A mate (very technophobic) owns a domain via which he has been sending and receiving emails for yonks. He has no website, but has asked me to set a simple one up for him over the Xmas break.

How does email work without a webhost?

His domain is dickens dot co dot nz.

As far as I can see, the registrar for the domain is Xtra, but I have no idea how his email has been set up - I just know that it works.

I need to find out some background so I can set up (or access) FTP for the site he wants - as well as establish whether he has a current host...

wainuitech
25-10-2010, 10:22 PM
The domain name with Xtra can simply be connected to a regular email account.

I have one set up exactly that way with Telstra, and I also have no web site.

Example; he may have a standard email address joeblogs @xtra.co.nz, and the domain name is linked to that. So any mail sent to the companies domain name is actually going through joeblogs @ Xtra.

johcar
26-10-2010, 12:04 AM
So he should have some documentation from Xtra from when he registered the domain name that should give us the ability to get the domain hosted somewhere (which I guess will entail moving email host as well)?

Chilling_Silence
26-10-2010, 08:07 AM
Xtra had some kind of "Buy your own domain and we'll host the email for it by redirecting it to your main Xtra account".

Now's probably the best time to setup Google Apps for your Domain for him, and get him setup with some semi-decent hosting.

A quick whois search shows that Telecom are hosting his DNS, so I'd migrate that away for him too, to somewhere else that's within his realm of control (Even if he never actually touches it).

Who were you looking to host his website?

johcar
26-10-2010, 08:17 AM
No firm decisions yet, but I have had good experiences with Openhost...

:pf1mobmini:

Chilling_Silence
26-10-2010, 08:23 AM
Cool, yeah I've heard they're pretty good. Not the cheapest, but great service I'm told :)

Switch DNS and things over to them as well, look at GAFYD so he's got a ton more mail storage, exchange sync, control the email accounts / aliases, stuff like that :D

It's dead simple to do and doesn't take much effort at all to setup, even if you've never done it before :)

Safari
26-10-2010, 08:27 AM
The Domain name and Webhosting do not need to be with the same company.
Why not leave the Domain as is as email is all setup and working.
Just setup webhosting with someone and get the dickens domain name pointed to the new webhost.

Chilling_Silence
26-10-2010, 08:42 AM
True, but I can see two issues with that:
1) Large shared hosting places like the DNS pointed to them, so that they can dynamically / batch update the A-records if the website needs to be shifted between hosts. I'm not sure how large Openhost are, so it may not be the case.

2) Telecom hosting the DNS may not also be the best solution, especially as it's currently on their older Terminator & Alien servers, it's going to have to be shifted eventually anyways as they're gonna turn them off soon from what I've heard, so may as well preempt it and do it now, save yourself the bother later ;)
It's also not as easy to update the DNS through Telecom, as opposed to if you can DIY (Maybe it's just me that likes to do that), or you can ask a friend such as johcar to assist :D

WarNox
26-10-2010, 10:34 AM
But even if you're setting up Google Apps for a domain you need to create a temporary cname record to prove you own the domain. So won't you need xtra to set that up for you if the domain is hosted with them?

eg. chdhks919291.dickens.co.nz to point to google.

The domain is registered with Xtra and the MX records are pointing there.

Chilling_Silence
26-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Yes, which is why I also suggest to migrate the DNS to somewhere a little more useful.

You'll need to change the MX records regardless, so it's kind of a moot point, it's just one more record that needs changing, but you can also authenticate the domain by uploading a .html file as well, if you can't change DNS, so again the point is moot ;)

johcar
26-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Yeah - I've done the Google Apps thing with a couple of clients. It's way cool!

WarNox
26-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Yeah - I've done the Google Apps thing with a couple of clients. It's way cool!

+1, how can something free be so awesome :D

Chilling_Silence
26-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Just a shame that Wave is being killed off, right after they enabled support for it in GAFYD :(