PDA

View Full Version : Shopping in Bangkok ...

Jen
25-10-2010, 05:58 PM
I'm off on holiday in a few weeks (yay!) and one of my destinations is Bangkok. I've heard that Thailand is not really known for quality cheap electronic products (unlike Hong Kong & Singapore). Anybody been to Bangkok able to comment on this? Are there bargains to be had? :D

pctek
25-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Cool! Have fun buying cool toys............

ubergeek85
25-10-2010, 06:56 PM
No idea.

But have fun! And maybe share a couple photos if you could, some of us don't get out of the house much. Or, in my case, I only leave for work, and trips to the bottle store...

Anyway, have fun!

plod
25-10-2010, 07:02 PM
We will be wanting your review of the ping pong show you go too:cool:

Cicero
25-10-2010, 07:02 PM
I was there in May,price adavantage gone of late.

Even USB drives same or about same as here.

autechre
26-10-2010, 08:59 AM
I was there a few years ago and the electronics weren't that cheap even then. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything electronic in Asia unless you can be sure that it is the genuine article.

Thailand is great for cheap DVDs, CDs, games & clothing though - so go crazy :)

Jen
26-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Looks like I should concentrate my shopping on clothes then! :D

I plan to take heaps of photos, and just bought myself a Kodak Zi8 (flip technology HD mini-camcorder) to capture some videos!

And Plod, no, that will not include any ping pong shows ... :rolleyes:

Arnie
26-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Clothes & Food are really cheap. Try the markets, fantastic. Taxis are cheap also.

You will enjoy it don't worry about the crowds, most people are great to deal with. Spent a week there last year.

Marnie
26-10-2010, 09:26 AM
I agree with Arnie. I wasn't brave enough to try the food being cooked and sold on the streets. Although so many locals obviously enjoyed it.
The markets are fun.

Yes, it is crowded, but the taxis are used to being able to get through it easily.

Strommer
26-10-2010, 10:02 AM
I agree with Arnie. I wasn't brave enough to try the food being cooked and sold on the streets.

I have been to Thailand / BKK 4 times, ate much food from street vendors and never got sick, nada, zip, nil. This includes eating in some tiny dirty cafes and still no problems.

But in India I got terrible dysentery in spite of avoiding street food and taking all precautions.

Jen - I sent you a PM re BKK accommodation, etc.

Cicero
26-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Clothes are a good price, I bought shirts anf undies @ less than half price,you have to bargain.

Bought a jacket and trow in chashmere, paid 3000 baht, beatiful cloth.

Jen
08-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Alas, there will be no photos, no shopping, no holiday. Being hospitalised with pneumonia just before departure has put an end to that. :crying Very grateful it didn't happen while on holiday.

I haven't given up on my Thailand travel plans, and I hope to try again next year! :)

somebody
08-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Yikes. Hope you get better soon Jen!

R2x1
08-11-2010, 08:05 PM
My word, that is either really good or really bad timing. I hope you were able to get a refund on the travel etc. costs.
Get better really quick.

ubergeek85
08-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Damn. Damn damn damn.

I wanted to see pics :(

But get better soon.

The Error Guy
08-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Thailand isn't actually as cheap as people perceive. same with china, even though they manufacture plenty of electronic equipment the prices are actually cheaper overseas due to their export rules (similar to lamb in NZ) you CAN however buy the LCD panel + driver curcuitry circuitry seperately separately for a good price (eg not a whole TV but just parts) for pretty low prices in some of the shady parts of town. good for me, i'll be there for 4yrs as of August.

Planning to build a couple of IR touch monitors and see if I can get a supplier for capacitive touch surfaces.

Bummer about the pneumonia.

qazwsxokmijn
08-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Bummer Jen, hope you can still go on that holiday sooner rather than later.

jareemon
08-11-2010, 09:52 PM
I've heard you can buy cheap clothes and high quality material cheap, I'd love to get a ton of it and get a few suits tailored :)

Snorkbox
08-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Alas, there will be no photos, no shopping, no holiday. Being hospitalised with pneumonia just before departure has put an end to that. :crying Very grateful it didn't happen while on holiday.

I haven't given up on my Thailand travel plans, and I hope to try again next year! :)

I have to ask this!

Am I allowed to use a word like s**t on this forum?

I'm sure it would apply in your situation.

Get well soon!

Marnie
08-11-2010, 10:56 PM
What a bummer!! I hope you are well on the road to recovery by now.

Not much consolation, I know, but far better it happened here than while you were over there on holiday.

Take care.

gary67
09-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Hope all is well Jen I'm sure you can go over soon

Chilling_Silence
09-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Get better soon ...! At least you have a PC and an internet connection to keep you entertained at home if you're off sick :D

Gobe1
09-11-2010, 09:12 AM
I only leave for work, and trips to the bottle store...

I generally do that (drop in to the bottle store) on the way home from work

Have a great trip

*goes away muttering "some people are so lucky"*

EDIT: oops didnt read whole thread, sorry to hear that Jen (bummer)

WalOne
09-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Sorry to read about that Jen, must've been a tremendous disappointment for you. But better if it's going to happen at all, to happen on home turf. Hope you had travel insurance that covers your circumstances.

Get well soon. :thumbs:

Billy T
09-11-2010, 12:34 PM
But in India I got terrible dysentery in spite of avoiding street food and taking all precautions.

I've been to India twice. First time was quite a few years ago. I didn't eat street food but still got very sick and needed medical attention. I was travelling on a tight budget so I guess the odds were against me.

Last time was a couple of years back and I was working for the NZ Govt so was put up in a very good hotel. I too took all precautions because vivid memories of lying on the toilet floor unable to get up and still there when the doctor arrived, were still etched in my mind. Last trip I drank nothing but bottled water, boiled water to refill bottles, ate VERY carefully, and still got a dose of the collywobbles, but not so severe that liquid concrete couldn't plug it.

My policy now is not to eat anything that isn't to hot for flies to land on! Makes you appreciate NZ, but then I don't patronise any of the third-world eateries that have sprung up everywhere. I know people who eat out or have takeaways a lot and are regularly sick, but seem to accept it as a normal hazard.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Jen
09-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks for all your kinds words. I am getting better each day. :)

I have full travel insurance so will make a claim against that.

Snorkbox
09-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Good to hear.

WalOne
09-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Makes you appreciate NZ, but then I don't patronise any of the third-world eateries that have sprung up everywhere. I know people who eat out or have takeaways a lot and are regularly sick, but seem to accept it as a normal hazard.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Topical at least for me. Yesterday around lunch time I bought a Nasi Goreng from the local TWE. By 6:00pm I had stomach cramps, and by midnight I was seriously considering heading off to the A&E. This morning, Montezuma's revenge took it's toll, but now I'm starting to feel OK and hungry for the first time since the NG. So yes, beware the local TWEs.

And this happened in beautiful Downtown Ellerslie. Gad! The bounders should be run out of town, I say. :mad: